• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Is there an audible difference between 96khz and 48khz internal sample rates?
For sure not!

Edit: for those who attest that there will be some, please provide ABX testing results ;)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Dirac even work @ 96?
Yes, it does in the previous generation Arcam.

1708553711274.png

markus

What the admins on the MiniDSP forum mentioned was that the MOQs on the decoding chips are really high and even then you get proprietary stuff with minimal flexibility. They would have to start the design from scratch
But isn't that exactly what we want? DD(+) decoding aka "proprietary stuff with minimal flexibility" :)

Zapper

But isn't that exactly what we want? DD(+) decoding aka "proprietary stuff with minimal flexibility" :)
I'm guessing that the high MOQ (minimum order quantity) is the real issue. MiniDSP probably doesn't expect to sell enough Flex HT units to justify buying a big lot of decoder chips for them.

markus

I'm guessing that the high MOQ (minimum order quantity) is the real issue. MiniDSP probably doesn't expect to sell enough Flex HT units to justify buying a big lot of decoder chips for them.
They probably would sell a lot more units if it only had DD+ decoding capabilities. I doubt MOQ is the (only) reason why. But that's all just speculation. For what it is it's great device that (nearly) checks all the boxes.

jaakkopetteri

You might want it, but MiniDSP's forte is DSP and related capabilities which wouldn't work without a complete redesign (or so I understand).

I also believe the MOQ is not a problem in the sense that the units would surely sell well enough, but they might just not have the cash flow to support the deal.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If this device, decoded DD+, DTS, and supported Dolby up-mixing for DD2.0, I would buy one and make it my primary processor.

- Rich

Last edited:

Zapper

If this device, decoded DD+, DTS, and supported Dolby up-mixing for DD2.0.
I would buy one and make it my primary processor.

- Rich
That would be a good product. But this is really a down-stream processor from the primary processor, such as a computer, AVR with preamp outs, or smart TV.

Last edited:

danstahl

If this device, decoded DD+, DTS, and supported Dolby up-mixing for DD2.0, I would buy one and make it my primary processor.

- Rich
It doesn't even support PCM over plain HDMI, just HDMI eArc...you are asking for something that the Minidsp is not intended to fulfill.

markus

markus

- Rich
It would be my primary processor if it would decode Dolby bitstreams including MAT/PCM (for use with an Apple TV 4K) and if it would do Dirac Live ART.

bungle

It would be my primary processor if it would decode Dolby bitstreams including MAT/PCM (for use with an Apple TV 4K) and if it would do Dirac Live ART.
This is pretty ok:

I am heavily considering to replace my AVR with HTx.

sarieri

Forum Donor
I measured 121.7dB THD+N and 124dB Dynamic Range USB in, TRS out. All unweighted at 4V. Interface is very elegant. Double the price of a DM7, but since all these features, I will never place my hands on DM7 anymore.

markus

This is pretty ok:

I am heavily considering to replace my AVR with HTx.
Yes, that's how I have set up mine. But still, for Atmos you would need Dolby decoding capabilities to decode the MAT/PCM stream sent by the ATV4K. If you're not interested in height speakers then the Flex HT and an ATV4K is all you need.

despinos

It doesn't even support PCM over plain HDMI, just HDMI eArc...you are asking for something that the Minidsp is not intended to fulfill.
Hello,
New poster here, but a longtime time reader of the forum and Amir reviews..

Need clarification of the post cited above: . Does the Flex HT support lpcm in its HDMI input from a plain ( non earc) HDMI device? For example, receive and process up to 8 channels of lpcm from a external media player through hdmi, the like of dune, roku, Nvidia SHIELD, etc, even if the hdmi from those devices may not be earc?

Thanks
David

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hello,
New poster here, but a longtime time reader of the forum and Amir reviews..

Need clarification of the post cited above: . Does the Flex HT support lpcm in its HDMI input from a plain ( non earc) HDMI device? For example, receive and process up to 8 channels of lpcm from a external media player through hdmi, the like of dune, roku, Nvidia SHIELD, etc, even if the hdmi from those devices may not be earc?

Thanks
David
No. It requires eArc.

Top Bottom