Recent content by Angsty

1. Angsty

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

If you don’t hear a problem, don’t worry about it. There are lots of things that make a difference in theory or measurement but are not readily audible.
  2. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

At 10Hz I’d expect any turntable to perform badly, giving up more in harmonics than in fundamental frequency. Resonance is real, y’all!
  3. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

None on vinyl.
  4. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

:facepalm: People just hear what they want to hear.
  5. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

I could even cite the electronics textbook by MIT professors Senturia and Wedlock which references fuses on page 41 (but has absolutely nothing to do with my design or performance claims) as evidence for those claims. Snake oil always needs misapplied facts to appear legit.
  6. Angsty

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

The whole line from Spartan 5 to Spartan 15 to MM Pro looks to be very thoughtfully designed. The design notes for the Spartan 15 remind me of the gain architecture of the Bryston BP-2, which is far more expensive using discrete components. I am disturbed by the number of people who report...
  7. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

Perhaps I should market "hot back-up" fuses - two fuses "running in parallel" such that if one blows there is a "dynamic switching technology" that allows the hot back-up to kick in so there is no disruption to the flow of music! Uninterruptible power supply technologies that have just been...
  8. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

Vortexes? o_O More like whirlpools of snake oil...
  9. Angsty

Nice turntables. Attached picture is an absolute requirement.

Obviously, the turntable accelerates and stops faster with Lamborghini branding. Tracks curves better, too! ;)
  10. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

This type of misinformation in audio has been around for several decades. I think it got worse as audio moved steadily from DIY hobbyist-centered to consumer-centered. Enthusiasts became disconnected from the physics and electronics and more attached to marketing hype. For example, I don't...
  11. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

There is part of me that says if you are willing to pay $10K for this level of pseudoscience, then you deserve what you get.
  12. Angsty

Extreme Snake Oil

I'd love to see the peer-reviewed AES paper on this. I'll wait.
  13. Angsty

The Courteous Vinyl Playback Discussion

Thanks, Bob. I have seen publication of specs and graphs that show the maximum tracking error in degrees but I have yet to see something that converts that into percentages of THD. Well, actually, the alignment curves do show distortion related to groove radius, but how does that change with...
  14. Angsty

I’m unclear on the math regarding pivoted tonearms. How much distortion is introduced by the tracking error found in pivoted tonearms? Let’s consider a 9 inch tonearm as the example. I’m sure articles have been published on this, but I don’t have a ready reference.
  15. Angsty

I do think there is a difference between the ability to engineer a solution in a small shop and the ability to manufacture it reliably in volume. I am not intimately familiar with how the electronic tonearms are engineered, but it does not seem infeasible given the range of electronics that are...