Recent content by JeremyFife

1. JeremyFife

Stereo amplifier suggestions

That's because you say that you want an improvement in sound quality, and a new amplifier won't give you that. Take a look at the review index here for recommended amplifiers in your price range - there are plenty. Or, take a little time to understand your system in your room. Measure if you...
  2. JeremyFife

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Hi, and welcome :) Just a thought on your second question - your Amp. The measurements weren't all bad, apart from clipping behaviour. If you don't hear unpleasant noises, and your amp isn't shutting down then it's probably not affecting your system. Don't worry about it. If budget is...
  3. JeremyFife

Stereo amplifier suggestions

Hi, and welcome :) What's the problem with your Marantz? Not loud enough ( how loud do you listen, and how far are you from the speakers?), sound distorting/clipping? If you want "something different" about the sound then an amplifier change may not be the way to go. Do you just feel like a...
  4. JeremyFife

Do measurements bring satisfaction?

That's a hard story to read, about loss of satisfaction, almost falling out of love with music. I hope that, for you, this is a period of adjustment and re-setting. That can take a little time. Measurements are great for electronics and for cutting through the bulls**** (expensive cables, more...
  5. JeremyFife

Best DAC-PRE-AMP for the B&W 603 S2 Anniversary Edition

I stand corrected - thanks - I saw the specs as 88dB but didn't look further. Agree that you'd want to think about required SPL at the listening point.
  6. JeremyFife

Best DAC-PRE-AMP for the B&W 603 S2 Anniversary Edition

You got a good deal on those speakers, but they are coloured. You may like that, speakers are very personal. Don't worry about the amplification, it doesn't matter that much - the Yamaha is sound. Choose on features. Given your comments - wanting a certain sound, preference for HDMI - and the...
  7. JeremyFife

Superphon Revelation Preamp/Phono Stage Vintage Review

Thanks for another interesting review. Nice to have a 'sense check' for what a performance baseline should be these days. Mind you, those separate volume controls would be irritating and I'm sure I would obsess over whether they were the same or not.
  8. JeremyFife

Connecting pre-amp to aux-in instead of main-in?

I'd just add that the Cambridge Evo is a very good looking, fully featured unit. You are paying a lot for features that you just don't plan to use. Second the suggestions to get a proper power amp instead, or recognise that perhaps your Yamaha is actually fine.
  9. JeremyFife

Need some advice for bookshelf / standing speakers

Hi, and welcome Can you give a little more information on the rest of your system: what are your sources for music and what amplifier do you have, along with anything else in the signal path? Thinking about your tinnitus - I sympathise, mine is very mild - do read the information on this site...
  10. JeremyFife

Usb a to usb a cable for audio (low budget cable)

You just need a cable. I've been happy with the "ugreen" brand on Amazon - inexpensive and seem to be well made. Plenty of alternatives, just don't worry about audio/hi-fi/pc or anything like that - you just need a cable here's an example (UK) https://amzn.eu/d/deTvIrG
  11. JeremyFife

Bi-amp front speakers with receiver (internal) and external integrated amp?

Do you mean the jumper bars (or wires) between binding posts? No, that's not what I'm talking about at all. That doesn't do anything to the crossover - the electrical components that split frequencies - and there's no advantage in bi-amping speakers like that. In order to get any benefit from...
  12. JeremyFife

"Things that cannot be measured"

The health of that pesky cat?
  13. JeremyFife

Legendary producer Steve Albini dead at 61

Sad news. Made me re-read this https://mpg.org.uk/knowledge-bank/the-problem-with-music-by-steve-albini
  14. JeremyFife

Nad 325bee (50w) to Marantz PM8005 (70w) Worth it?

Sure, although you can probably find these locally too; https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1
  15. JeremyFife

Nad 325bee (50w) to Marantz PM8005 (70w) Worth it?

Enjoy your system, listen to music :) One day, consider upgrading your speakers but don't worry about it now (not with such new speakers, you want to get used to them) If you do want to experiment, get a umic measurement microphone and download the free REW software. Make some measurements of...