Recent content by LightninBoy

1. LightninBoy

Unpopular Opinions in Music

I believe "Friends in Low Places" is the greatest song ever written.
  2. LightninBoy

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Im in the market for a "fun" CD player. Something with old school tactical feel and updated lifestyle design. Must haves: 1. Track info display and full track controls that are prominent and easy to see/use 2. Gapless playback (ridiculous this has to be specified) 3. At least 1 digital out 4...
  3. LightninBoy

There is nothing holy about the signal

Every time I read about the issues that the "circle of confusion" creates, I wonder if a certification body could create a standard for studio mastering rooms. So that the systems used for final mix and mastering were measured and certified to meet some idealized FR curve, RT60 and any other...
  4. LightninBoy

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Seriously considering running up to 5 of these in my HT room, maybe even replacing the bryston 4B sst for the mains. At the very least these will be perfect for the surround channels.
  5. LightninBoy

Simple living room system: what would you do?

Yes absolutely! I should probably be clear about that. It's in another universe compared to the built in TV speakers. My "other" system is a dedicated HT room with Revel F208/C208 speakers and a massive sub. So when I say this living room system was fine, but not outstanding, that is what I'm...
  6. LightninBoy

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

That's nice. However according to the company note you shared above the reference point is 6.5 *feet* above the tweeter. Better measure again before you are sued.
  7. LightninBoy

Yep, a rug is in the near term plans.
  8. LightninBoy

The Sony avr arrived yesterday and I got it set up. Overall I'm very happy. I'm particularly pleased that most usage scenarios don't require using the AVR remote. The AVR comes on automatically and selects the proper input when the TV is turned on or when my phone connects via Bluetooth. Also...
  9. LightninBoy

Thanks to all. I thought hard on the Loxjie and Wiim amps, but I pulled the trigger on an open box Sony STRDH590 for $230 total including shipping and taxes. Probably no wrong choice here, based on the replies.
  10. LightninBoy

Is it good because it makes it maintainable? Or good from a sound quality perspective? Or both?
  11. LightninBoy

Goal: Build a simple to use, decent sounding 2 or 2.1 system for the living room. Use: Casual movie, TV, music listening Sources: TV (including streaming), Bluray player, Bluetooth (from phones) Speakers: Revel M22 (passive bookshelf speakers) Budget: cheap as possible, < $400US I'm trying to...
  12. LightninBoy

Career advice

Software Professional here, and sometimes hiring manager. Fewer and fewer companies are requiring degrees period to hire for software jobs. You already have a degree (ME), so even if they do require a degree you have one. The CS part is totally learnable for free, night classes, or other formal...
  13. LightninBoy

Any Korean/Asian movies/series fans?

I am a huge fan of director Zhang Yimou. Checkout "Shadow", "Hero", "Raise the Red Lantern", "House of Fly Daggers". I personally won't make any generalized quality judgements regarding West vs East movies because of Survivor Bias. Remember, we in the West are mostly exposed to just the best of...
  14. LightninBoy

Yamaha r-n2000a loudness adjustment - does it adjust the mids?

Those Yamaha loudness controls are genius. I can't give you the specifics, but yes it would adjust the mid frequencies relative to the high and low frequencies. The way I was told to use it was to turn the volume up to where the music had the energy and slam I preferred, and if it that was too...
  15. LightninBoy

Oppenheimer

Nice writeup overall. I like the comparison to "There will be Blood".