Recent content by Scytales

1. Scytales

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Very well said. And in these facts lies the whole meaning and scope of High Fidelity: faithfully record the Art of the performers and be able to enjoy it again without hindrance.
  2. Scytales

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Always "Yes, but". The but is : I'm awaiting more channels (3 operational at the time of writing) and identical speakers... ... and I'm still in search of the ideal multichannel digital player and preamplifier for conveniance and absolute audio performance.
  3. Scytales

RME DPS-2 Linear Power Supply

To build on your building, one can read this very... balanced articles published by Rod Elliot on his website, as well as the reference articles in their respective bibliographies, which all teach about the challenges in designing proper balanced output and input stages and tackle some issues...
  4. Scytales

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

It's more common than you think and it doesn't have to be expensive. But we must not confuse the goal with the means. As Bruno Putzeys once said : "The Road to Hell: Specify the Design, Accept the Performance. The Road to Heaven: Specify the Performance, Accept the Design. "
  5. Scytales

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

It can. It all depends on the skills of the designer.
  6. Scytales

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

That's the single most important statement in this thread so far. I fully concur with it. The importance of that statement couldn't be stressed enough. When one is accustomed to classical music listened to a concert venue, setting the level at home on the hifi become a second nature. Some...
  7. Scytales

812 digital sources from 1992 to 2024 ranked by THD

03/24/2024 update : new informations about some signal processes.
  8. Scytales

Best classical chamber music albums

Bang on the same genre : Also :
  9. Scytales

When does it make sense to place preamp between components?

@oOBurrowsOo, The Dynaudio loudspeakers you refer to (although you didn't mentioned the specific model out of the Evoke range) are inefficient to very inefficient loudspeakers, their sensitivity being in the 84 to 88 dB SPL/1 W/1 m depending on the specific model. You didn't specify the size...
  10. Scytales

03/22/2024 update : new informations about some signal processes.
  11. Scytales

03/21/2024 update : correction of an error about the Denon UDP 2012UD (2nd harmonic at -99 dB instead of -89 dB, hence better THD number) and news informations about some digital signal processes.
  12. Scytales

I update the files this March 2nd, 2024 with 4 new tests (see first post) from old issues. Tests in 16 bits : Accuphase DC-330 Accuphase DP-75V dCS Verdi+Elgar plus Sony DTC-ZA5ES More importantly, I have finally found in an old issue a statement about the nominal level at which the test are...
  13. Scytales

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

I just reply to your thread with some hints about this player : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/magnetar-udp800-thoughts.42266/post-1902222
  14. Scytales

MAGNETAR UDP800 thoughts?

The Magnetar brand seems to be affiliated to Reavon, which sell less costly universal integrated players/streamers/DACs : https://magnetar-audio.store/fr/ https://reavon.store/fr/ I was once interested in the latter, for I am in search of a true multichannel universal (disc and computer...
  15. Scytales

Best No oversampling dac to buy??

By the way, just for the education of those interrested in this historical developpement, there is a great technical discussion about the first Philips DAC in this video posted on the UK AES channel :
Top Bottom