Recent content by SIY

1. SIY

What speakers do you currently own?

I have some of those bass drivers. The results they got weren't surprising- I think this is one of the designs released post-Kantor and Hidley. The 3.3s are big, but they're also pretty picky on how and where to set them up. It really does take a dedicated room to get their strengths.
  2. SIY

My main "sitting in my easy chair and listening" alternates between the Quads and the NHTs- they're different and each has its own merits. For loud rock, the NHTs are king. For quieter acoustic music, it's close, but the Quads have a larger listening "sweet spot."
  3. SIY

Modified and multiamped NHT 3.3. Homemade subs, sealed boxes and EQ, JBL 2245H. Quad 988 with homemade dipole subs. Kali LP-6. Vanatoo Transparent Zero. Vanatoo T1E. And another set arriving next week...
  4. SIY

GoldenSounds passes apparently ABX test for DACs (NOT Really)

Is that valid in the presence of 110dB sound?
  5. SIY

No, the controls were better than most asserted "listening" differences, but they were insufficient to rule out non-auditory cues. And since that data weren't taken, we cannot "prove if there's some wrong doing." Or disprove it. Without the necessary data, that possibility remains.
  6. SIY

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

Yes, but that's irrelevant to s/n and the effects of that on soundstage. Noise is noise- if you can't hear if from the listening position, making it lower won't change anything.
  7. SIY

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

The circuit is important regarding noise as well. That's rather fanciful, a salesman pitch. Drop a Lego into a shag carpet and than walk on it....
  8. SIY

Help How do you measure capacitance on a tone arm, and of a Phono input on a receiver?

What @egellings said. The only reliable way to measure total cartridge load capacitance (and this is ONLY important for MM, it doesn't matter for MC) is to disconnect the cartridge, power on the preamp, then run a square wave to the connections via a high value (0.5-1.0 megohm) resistor. Using a...
  9. SIY

It's definitely possible (I knew a guy in grad school who was absolutely able to do that at the age of 26 or so), but a far less extraordinary claim than what's being discussed here.
  10. SIY

"Things that cannot be measured"

Their big issue was the horrible Motorola tweeter that Mike slapped on.
  11. SIY

In the Daytons, it was used to increase the dielectric strength of the medium between the electrodes so the voltage could be run higher.
  12. SIY

That depends on the specific question than an experiment is designed to answer.
  13. SIY

I shouldn't take the test because my hearing cuts out at 13-14kHz.
  14. SIY

But they can still be measured- and of course, uncertainty is not a strictly quantum phenomenon. A demonstration I give to my QM students to show that uncertainty is a universal thing and not just a quantum peculiarity involves tuning a bass; you get beat notes as the strings get closer in...
Top Bottom