Search results

1. Jimbob54

AKG N40

So I have had a pair of these floating around the bottom of a drawer for quite a while. Found them in a bit of a tidy up so gave them a try with some fresh tips. I have had them several years and IIRC got them on an Amazon Warehouse bargain (well, compared to RRP anyway, not compared to modern...
  2. Jimbob54

Moondrop May (IEM with USB C DSP cable)

Just taken delivery of these. Bottom line, lovely design and shape. Comfy though I find the cable ear hooks a bit heavy and stiff for my tastes (as with the Free DSP but YMMV) Nice case with it too. Sound great- Standard EQ profile works best for me so far but see issues regarding the...
  3. Jimbob54

Interesting new Moondrop product- DSP equipped IEM cable

Most interesting part of a recent Shenzhenaudio Moondrop mailshot. Assuming the app/ interface has a decent english translation and works (looking at you Tanchjim Android app!) might well be worth a punt- a viable alternative to the Qudelix for IEMs...
  4. Jimbob54

Qudelix 5k on Drop- $89

Got to be worth a look for anyone in the US https://drop.com/buy/qudelix-5k-bluetooth-usb-dac-amp
  5. Jimbob54

Drummers you can't mistake

Tub thumpers that stand out. Or possibly cant hide. For better or worse. Go Thus far on my Saturday listening session I have had Bonzo, Ringo, Phil C, Jimmy Chamberlin, Stephen Perkins (amongst many others). No mistaking any of them. So I would love to hear suggestions for drummers (Dont care...
  6. Jimbob54

Amazon music/ Alexa- a test please

Very odd occurences. My preferred method of playing music is to ask an Alexa device to "Alexa-shuffle my Amazon music" which has until recently given a good shuffle across my whole (70k+ tracks/ 7k albums) amazon music library. (Usually this is on a Wiim mini by the way- not actually played...
  7. Jimbob54

RME ADI 2 DAC FS (ground?) hum- any ideas?

So- I made the mistake of spring cleaning and re-organising my AV rack yesterday. Today whilst using the RME with some sensitive IEMs I had a noticeable (assume 60hz or thereabouts) hum. So I started doing some testing. Observations: 1. Touching the join between the device and the IEM jack...
  8. Jimbob54

Portable dac/amp with optical in THAT ISNT MOJO

Don't want to pay mojo prices but is this really the only (decent) battery powered dac/amp that will take optical input? For reference, I want to use a WIIM mini plus the mystery device as a set up at my office desk /home desk without the need for a power plug (I can run the wiim off a spare...
  9. Jimbob54

Tips and cables- for IEMs

I'm not going to discuss the "sound" of these things but IEM are definitely an area where cables matter. I have recently found the "wrong" cable for an IEM can ruin the experience due to comfort/ fit issues. Likewise, tips. The wrong tips for one's own ears and indeed the design of an IEM can...
  10. Jimbob54

IEM cable heat shrink - reshaping?

I got a pair of IEM with a nice cable, except that the angle of the heat shrink wrapped ear hook really doesn't work for my ears. (pretty much goes back on itself straight out of the connector) Before I start doing something silly, will a hairdryer on the heat shrink let me reshape it or just...
  11. Jimbob54

Etymotic/ Drop ERX

Well- I got these delivered this week. https://drop.com/buy/drop-etymotic-erx#overview I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I prefer the fit to the ear mauling fit of the ER 2/3/4 range and they sound pretty good actually. Definitely could live with these without EQ. Enough bass to keep...
  12. Jimbob54

Amazon Music deleting/ moving lots of content? Any way of identifying or fixing what is changed?

I play my whole Amazon music library on shuffle (on PC app) . I have noticed recently, more so than the last couple of years of use, that lots of tracks are coming up as "cannot find/ cannot play". I am aware Amazon, like all services, sometimes change versions of albums under the hood but I...
  13. Jimbob54

What IEMs do you own?

Solderdude has his huge "What headphones do you own?" thread and I know some post their IEMs in there too, but given we seem to be going IEM crazy at the moment I thought it might be useful to have a specific thread for them. Personally I am more interested in your favourites and stinkers than...
  14. Jimbob54

IEM cable without stiffened ear hooks?

Can anyone suggest an aftermarket IEM cable make/ model that doesnt have the reinforced "bend" after the earpiece connection? I want to wear some IEM upside down (dont ask) but the ear hooks of course dont help when one wants the cables to point downwards. Ideally 2.5mm and MMCX but Im sure...
  15. Jimbob54

They forgot about the ears......

More nonsense from What (TF)! Hifi Apparently it wasn't the limitations of my ears stopping me enjoying hi res, it was the fact I hadn't spent at least a grand on speakers. https://www.whathifi.com/features/the-problem-with-hi-res-audio-is-how-you-might-be-listening-to-it
  16. Jimbob54

New low price Drop/ Hifiman collab- CLOSED DYNAMIC!

Will this be another sub $200 smash or hot garbage? I'm not liking the look of the FR so far. https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he-r7dx-closed-back-headphones/talk#discussions
  17. Jimbob54

Earbud recommendations

And I do mean earbuds. Not IEMs. Think OG apple bud shape so nothing you have to remotely insert into the ear canal. EDIT- and I want wired! During the working day I am on an off calls as well as getting regularly disturbed by deliveries and the bloody cat. I love my IEMs but if I am forever...
  18. Jimbob54

New Tidal Pricing

Looks like the revised pricing structure trialed a few months ago in Australia has gone live on the UK today. HiFi tier is now £9.99 pm replacing the old aac based tier. So this is "lossless" or thereabouts HiFi plus is mqa, atmos etc at £19.99pm
  19. Jimbob54

Tracks with silence

Anyone know of any recorded tracks that are actual silence (as opposed to recorded "silence" like John Cage 4.33 which has actual background noise)? Noticed a scuffling noise on my portable IEM set up between tracks which I think is "noise" between the phone and the dongle which I think stops...
  20. Jimbob54

Understated .......

https://drop.com/buy/ikko-oh7-iem Only $800 too
Top Bottom