Search results

1. Rick Sykora

Nubert NuVero 60 Speaker Review

As I recall, when Amir first obtained the Klippel, we encountered a comparable artifact. In the end, recall it was concluded to be acoustic interference due to a directivity error. See the Buchardt S400 review. If not, then my bet would be an internal cabinet resonance. That is easy to simulate...
  2. Rick Sykora

GR Research No Res alternative?

MLV is comparable in price to butyl rubber but half of what Sonic Barrier/No Rez offer as they incorporate open cell foam too. With adhesive backing, they are more than twice the cost of MLV. Unless I had a really large cabinet to dampen, would stick to the Sonic Barrier with PSA.
  3. Rick Sykora

At least @staticV3 is grinning about it AND used the updated spin from Ascend (your posted data is before Ascend redesigned the speaker)... While the RAAL may be somewhat vertically challenged, have heard it sounds very nice. So, a buyer may choose that compromise to get that sound quality. I...
  4. Rick Sykora

Directiva r2 monitor prototype build

The global target has been the goal but looks as though we may need to diverge from it. However, with team members in multiple regions, we should be able to optimize for major regions. In any case, once we figure it out, impedance curve matching should help ensure builders closely reproduce...
  5. Rick Sykora

Directiva r2 monitor prototype build

IF you were wondering why r2 is dragging out, along with team member bandwidth, we are struggling to precisely define the type and quantity of damping material needed. Along the way, will also likely modify the side vents. Until this is done, am holding of building a prototype to submit to Amir...
  6. Rick Sykora

I tried some CLD approaches in subwoofer cabinets. Most of the time it made no difference or were worse. As mentioned earlier, there are inexpensive ways to measure the effect that any damping material might have. If it cannot be captured with a microphone, not likely our ears are going to...
  7. Rick Sykora

My experience is comparable but may just be a matter of target application. Most of these drivers are targeted for applications with limited space and tight cost constraints. A BMR design optimized to be a hifi midrange would make it more interesting. Otherwise agree the current offerings are...
  8. Rick Sykora

I have not, but as some know, have tinkered with butyl rubber sheets. Butyl rubber is used in automotive apps. The sheets are used to dampen panel vibrations but it also comes in caulk form. The caulk is what is used to seal windshields in place. Looking for lower cost, others have applied vinyl...
  9. Rick Sykora

New Purifi amplifiers coming

Have often talked about managing projects and how you might compromise between cost, features and quality, but the other key dimension is time. Many technical folk tend to think of time in terms of schedule, but for some products, time to market is critical. In the case of a Purifi SMPS, you...
  10. Rick Sykora

Ok great, but can you plan to build anything with one in the near future? Bruno already stated the current amp designs already deal with the power supply noise. Unlikely Purifi will be a value leader.. Am pragmatic about this stuff and like others, have seen ideas get killed even with the best...
  11. Rick Sykora

Not clear the oversized baffle claim pans out (at least not based on Amir's measurements). Wonder if @René - Acculution.com would concur?
  12. Rick Sykora

As a DIYer, would just cut the different baffles, but see the potential benefit for a larger manufacturer.:cool:
  13. Rick Sykora

Yes! Now that could be a potential cost benefit. :)
  14. Rick Sykora

Thanks, that is interesting too, but more about the baffle than the driver faceplates.
  15. Rick Sykora

Thanks! Agree would be nice to see something more tangible. His statements reflect my own. Is more to round out the product line, but that could be done by contracting out. If no audible benefit, would rather see his talent applied to a DSP or something that be more audibly beneficial.:)
  16. Rick Sykora

Thanks, good article but is old news. Am looking for why they use a custom mounting plate and, if it is so beneficial, they make so little claim about it.
  17. Rick Sykora

I want to know if they are making any claim to why use the special driver mounting plates? Otherwise, just seems like more cost without any benefit.
  18. Rick Sykora

Excuse my skepticism. ;) Got a pic or any evidence of more than a shadowy potential?
  19. Rick Sykora

Sure, but optimized for which amp? My question is somewhat rhetorical btw as each needs different rail voltages to maximize output. This is another reason why it makes less sense for Purifi to do themselves. Falls under "just because you can, does not mean you should."
  20. Rick Sykora

A Purifi SMPS seems unlikely unless Bruno sees some major advantage to doing one. Would make more sense to rebrand from a volume producer. Otherwise, it is just more work for a bit more convenience (and mainly for the DIY market). OEMs will look to whoever produces supplies with the best...
Top Bottom