Search results

1. ceedee

Saving Net Neutrality in US

Interesting about the Comcast vs. Netflix issue. I'm sure the staggering amount of bandwidth that Netflix takes up poses a real issue for the underlying networks themselves (even without any anti-competitive motive involved.) Related to this, there something in the current regulations that I...
  2. ceedee

Saving Net Neutrality in US

I have a question: before "net neutrality" became a big issue, was anyone actually doing this? Like, charging more for Netflix traffic, or throttling Netflix compared to the cable company's competing product? I understand people want to be protected against anti-competitive behavior, and I'm...
  3. ceedee

Archimago's MQA listening test results

I would assume that there must be a great number of people doing high-resolution streaming for this to be a "problem" that has to be "solved."
  4. ceedee

Photography: You don't really need filters for your lenses

Tony is actually pretty knowledgeable, but I didn't think his example pictures on the polarizing filter were very good. He looked like he was producing an infomercial when he put the polarizer on...it's not really that hard! I own two of Tony's books and usually find him to be one of the most...
  5. ceedee

Roon support of MQA

Quite right; "trivial" was a poor choice of words. I was just thinking that with all the scientific (sounding) language around descriptions of MQA, the white papers, patents, etc...surely these same people involved rigorous listening tests during the development of it, right? It shouldn't be...
  6. ceedee

Roon support of MQA

Reading this thread made me want to clarify: are we accepting the premise that MQA sounds better than RBCD or 24/96 or 24/192? I haven't followed the MQA discussion in a while, so it's possible I missed some evidence that indicates listeners can actually tell a difference between MQA and...
  7. ceedee

Sonore MicroRendu Hardware Teardown and Review

It seems that any measuring tool (such as the Foobar ABX plugin) would likely be "highly flawed" when compared to the only "constant" you trust: your own perception. As human perception is actually the largest variable in the equation, this mindset sends you on an endless journey of chasing...
  8. ceedee

Is Pono NoMo?

I think it's based on their "Sound Check" feature in iTunes (works on PC and iOS as well). It's similar to ReplayGain, which calculates the perceived loudness of a track compared to the target of 89 dB SPL. In both systems, the resulting offset is stored in the metadata and applied on...
  9. ceedee

Is Pono NoMo?

I'm not in the market for hi-res, but I do think it's interesting that they had some out-of-print recordings that were otherwise unavailable. That's nice, as is the good pricing on regular CD-quality downloads. On one hand, I hope they get it together (competition is a good thing). On the...
  10. ceedee

Passive BiWire

Yes, this is yet another example of how our biases affect how we hear things. Vinylphiles are so convinced of the superiority of vinyl "musicality" that they ignore what most consider to be very objectionable noise and distortion. That's really just a preference, though, and some people...
  11. ceedee

Passive BiWire

Yes, and the people who are tuning codecs make extensive use of ABX testing in order to determine audibility of the artifacts. They wouldn't get very far without it. Some sort of objective testing helps us make progress. Otherwise, there are hundreds of other audio fora where you can engage...
  12. ceedee

http://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Yes, you are exactly right. This was a problem in some cases, but is not any longer with competently-designed processors. DAW plugins that do nonlinear processing are often working at sample rates far above 192kHz nowadays. I use a hard clipping plugin for nipping off the peaks of certain...
  13. ceedee

http://losslessaudiochecker.com/

A video demonstration on both of those topics would be great! However, if so-called high-res formats delivered the audible difference that almost all listeners and vendors claim, no analysis would be needed to spot a fake (upsampled) file. It would be obvious upon first listen that the noise...
  14. ceedee

TIDAL is NOT Worth it! Listening Test

I use Apple Music because it's convenient and is already integrated into the devices I use. I can add albums/songs/playlists I like to my library and they exist alongside my iTunes library. I have a family plan which works out to be pretty cheap per person. Since I can't hear the difference...
  15. ceedee

Defining High-Res Audio ...

FTFY :p
  16. ceedee

MQA more answers, maybe too many for some people.

Phew...that was close! When I hit play I realized suddenly things were temporally being smeared from here to Sunday (or was it last Sunday? I couldn't tell...there was little to no time resolution). Just like all other digital audio I've ever heard. Finally I figured out that I was listening...
  17. ceedee

I'm not sure what you mean by "HF signal amplitude". Are you talking about bandwidth, or something else?
  18. ceedee

Top 5 Likes per post percentage

Good point. So I guess DonH56 is the McDonald's of ASR and I'm the Starbucks! (Based on recent U.S. chain popularity data) :cool:
  19. ceedee

Looking for a competent ABX tool for Windows

Why? Believers "discovering" reasons to invalidate ABX tests is hardly unexpected or interesting.
  20. ceedee

I can't say I understood everything in the article, but I trust your opinion on it. If his goal was to dumb it down, he failed miserably at that. I would bet most Stereophile readers don't even understand Nyquist! However, it still sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Proper blind...
Top Bottom