Search results

1. B

Chromecast audio resolution

I have an early generation and a current Chromecast TV. When I get the audio to my DAC using an HDMI audio extractor, the DAC shows a resolution of 24/48 with the early Chromecast, and a resolution of 16/48 with the current Chromecast model. Any idea why, and does it matter given my source is...
  2. B

resistor relay volume control preamp

I'm interested in the Topping L70 preamp. Are there other similar preamps with resistor relay based volume control (with remote) to consider preferably cheaper? thanks.
  3. B

Best way from computer into receiver

I want to stream a concert video from my computer to my Yamaha RX-V385 receiver. I can simply do audio and video via HDMI to the receiver, or I can take the audio from my computer to an external DAC (better than the Yamaha internal DAC) via USB, and then to the receiver either via analog or...
  4. B

Reliable DAC

I'm looking for a simple DAC for no more than $150 to use with the optical output of a TV. Could someone advise me which of the basic DACs reviewed here, Topping, SMSL, etc. has proven to be the most reliable? Thank you.
  5. B

New dac experiences

Over the last month I've auditioned some modest dacs, SMSL, Topping, Soncoz for a second system. All measured well here and were recommended. I put them into my main system where my reference is an Audiolab Mdac and tried to listen as objectively as possible. Compared with the mdac, which is ESS...
  6. B

Windows 11 sound settings and HDMI

Do Windows sound settings, sample rate, bit depth etc. affect the computer's HDMI audio output?
  7. B

Help with understanding receiver equalization and settings

I'm trying to understand what my Yamaha RX385 receiver is doing with respect to equalization. I've run the YPAO. If I understand that correctly, the YPAO corrects the frequency response, and speaker distance. I assume then, that the PEQ equalizer setting reflects the YPAO adjustment. I find that...
  8. B

Fixed output DAC with remote

Looking for a DAC with fixed output, i.e. no volume control or attenuation needed, and with a remote that changes inputs. Do any of the current highly rated DACs fit the requirements? Thanks in advance.
  9. B

Ionic Original

What's going on here? https://www.stereogum.com/2184752/bob-dylan-t-bone-burnett-new-audio-format/news/
  10. B

Locking receiver setting

I like to keep my receiver, a Yamaha RXV385, at its Direct setting, but I notice that it switches to some DSP program setting whenever I switch inputs, or turn it off and on. Is there a way of locking a setting? thanks.
  11. B

Problems casting Chromecast Audio from one computer

I use CC Audio to cast internet radio from my work computer which is a recent Intel I5 model. Fairly frequently I get drop outs and sometimes very distorted sound sometimes immediately and sometimes after opening certain programs such as File Explorer. Refreshing the browser page from which I'm...
  12. B

Balanced amps and subwoofer connections

I came across this: DENAFRIPS power amps are true balanced. Please do not connect the amplifier's speaker output to the sub-woofer high level input. Such a connection may potentially damage the amplifier. Is this generally a problem? I have Audiolab monoblocs which are true balanced, and have...
  13. B

Dac output stage

A conventional wisdom I come across a lot is that what really differentiates the quality of dacs is the output/analog stage. Do Amir's measurements assess the quality of output stages?
  14. B

Do tubes do anything well in circuits?

Around here, my impression is that tubes are considered distortion generators and little else. In my time with tube amplifiers I remember reading that there were certain things that tubes do better than solid state components. I know nothing about electronics but am interested in whether there...
  15. B

The Denafrips design philosophy, part 1

The Denafrips Design Philosophy Part 1 - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style
  16. B

New volume control

Received one of these a few days ago, Finished High precision 0.1% version Relay volume controller / HIFI Balance preamp|Amplifier| - AliExpress. Build quality is excellent and it is working as described. It compares very well with my other volume control based on a stepped resistor attenuator...
  17. B

Battery backup

I'm considering one of these, AmazonBasics Standby UPS 400VA 255W, 6 Outlets: Amazon.ca: Electronics, to protect my audio equipment. Do devices like these affect sound quality?
  18. B

Why does my laptop optical drive sound so bad?

I use an old laptop as a streamer, primarily playing internet radio into an Audiolab mdac via USB. The sound is excellent. For fun, I played a CD using the laptop's optical drive. It sounded awful compared with my Cambridge Audio CXC transport, even though it uses the same route as the internet...
  19. B

basic but fabulous DAC

Looking for recommendations for a high performance DAC, but would like to save on things I don't need like headphone amp, MQA, , volume control etc. Thanks in advance.
  20. B

dac with good optical input recommendation

I have a Soncoz. The USB input is very good, the optical not so much. Looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced DAC with particularly good optical input implementation for my bedroom TV. I don't need USB. Thanks in advance.
Top Bottom