Search results

1. J

What are your top 3 IEM ?

I currently go back and forth between the Truthear red and blue models, mainly for the gym or exercise outdoors. Thinking about getting another model from them. Since you want three, my main set before these was the Sony XBA-Z5, and they are now sitting in my briefcase so I always have...
  2. J

Sennheiser HD620S

I don't know, the Drop + Grell info is out now, and they're selling it initially at $349- exactly the same price point as the 620S. That sounds like classic company one-upmanship to me. Personally, I want to audition both of them.
  3. J

Sennheiser HD620S

I think it's interesting that this gets announced one day before Drop does the reveal on their new Axel Grell design. He's taking an even more radical angled front positioning of the driver, although that is an open back model. I'm interested in both, we'll see what the reviews and testing say.
  4. J

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (Purifi) vs dual mono Icepower 1200as1

Your speakers have higher distortion than the amps, so I'm not sure why you consider them a weak link. I doubt you would hear any difference at all, and give up quite a bit of power. If you're really unsure, I would try to audition a Purify model at home before purchase.
  5. J

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

At double the price, there better be a big improvement. Of course, at the price level you're at with them, there are a lot of speakers to sample at Axpona. I think I'm driving over tonight to do the same.
  6. J

Looking for Affordable DAC With Specific Features

Anything from Topping with a Toslink input - there are tons of options, including the ones listed above.
  7. J

Trying to find the best DAC+Amp combo for the HD800s, under $900. Was originally leaning towards Schiit products, but they don't seem to review well.

I voted for a Topping stack based on my own experience with the 30s and 50s. I wouldn't buy based on looks, I would buy based on performance, so you have lots of options. If you are going for clarity, I see no need to mess that up with tube distortion. You could even step up to crazy level...
  8. J

Fire TV Stck

Thanks for the info - it's good that they're opening up more. The observation on Ultra was my result the last time I auditioned Amazon, but now we have newer devices. The switching back and forth from 2 channel to Atmos did bug me too. Finally Tidal allows me just to play whatever the source...
  9. J

Fire TV Stck

As long as you stick to Amazon Music, the Fire stick should be able to output any Ultra HD resolution. Amazon restricts that level to their own devices. I can't find any detail specs on the extractor, but I would expect it will support full bandwidth on both digital outputs. Coax will give...
  10. J

DTS issue a concern if connecting a CD/DVD player to a stereo receiver via RCA vs Optical?

I can't even imagine a situation where the lawyers thought this was a concern, but apparently they did. All CDs are PCM, so no DTS encoding. Some DVDs could be using DTS. If you use RCA then it's converted to analog in the CD player, so again no concern. Even if you connect via digital and...
  11. J

Center channel on stand

Bookshelf speakers are more likely to be compromised because the speaker is usually entirely surrounded by the bookshelf, and often not placed at the front edge. So you've got a good chance that one of those sides is going to interact with the speaker. You've narrowed it down to just one from...
  12. J

Center channel on stand

I'm guessing that your box doesn't resonate with the speaker. If it does, then the stand would help a bit. Centers usually don't interact with room boundaries, so moving it out shouldn't do much either. If there's any difference, it's going to be quite subtle, and will probably disappear...
  13. J

Best AAC Bluetooth Portable DAC/Amp?

Bluetooth is the limiting factor here. Personally, I would start with the fan favorite Qudelix. If that doesn't satisfy you, then you know you need to keep looking.
  14. J

Tidal is getting cheaper!

It's also on the Billboard site - https://www.billboard.com/business/streaming/tidal-new-pricing-1235622516/
  15. J

Tidal is getting cheaper!

OK, I didn't see this one coming. I just got an email from Tidal announcing that my subscription is going down to $10.99 plus tax in April. Here's the email - On your first billing date on or after April 10, 2024, you’ll now pay just $10.99 (plus applicable sales tax)/month for all the same...
  16. J

Best home-theater/hifi setup below $2500?

My comment about upgrading was from the KEF bookshelf speakers. A lot of people start with bookshelves, but eventually move on to more capable tower speakers (at least for the front channels). I don't know your listening preferences, you may be perfectly happy with a bookshelf and sub system...
  17. J

Best home-theater/hifi setup below $2500?

Well, you say you love the sound of two different KEF models, so that makes your brand recommendation pretty straight forward. You always want to buy the biggest speaker you can afford, as long as it has all the features you need, and you are not in a small space. I would try to spend your...
  18. J

Crosstalk / leakage/ bleeding in digital tunes?

Just listened to the same on Tidal, and yes it's there, but very low. It could be corrected with a remaster/remix, but I doubt it makes sense commercially for the label. There were a couple of CD reissues, but either the band or the label wasn't bothered enough by it to fix the issue.
  19. J

A surprise on Qobuz...

This is just pretty generic marketing material, very similar to what the Hires association produces. It's fine for casual listeners who haven't studied the concepts at all. I have just tried (again) a free month of Qobuz to see if anything has changed since the last time. Played back on my...
  20. J

Peter Gabriel's 2023 album "I/O"

I both really enjoy the album, and the Bluray surround mix is state of the art. What's interesting to me is that there are some additional fill musical bits that are only on the surround, not in either of the stereo mixes. I'm pretty ambivalent between the two stereo versions, perhaps a tiny...
Top Bottom