Search results

1. A

Thinking of building 7" wide mini-towers with 106 db/w sensitivity

Thank you for the tips @Devnull, I think the manufacturer's crossover recommendation is for pro audio use where they commonly power drivers at their limits. I doubt the compression driver will ever see more than a couple of watts in a domestic environment. The horn rolls off at 1400 Hz...
  2. A

Thank you for all the suggestions. My original idea was to use a line array of small-diameter drivers coupled with a compression driver to minimize vertical cancellations, but that sacrificed too much sensitivity. So, I entertained the idea of using two high-sensitivity 6.5" woofers in an MTM...
  3. A

Good points. Keeping the width of the towers narrow is important to me, so I can't really use two 8-inch drivers to achieve 100 dB/W sensitivity. I think I can live with 96 dB/W sensitivity (or 100 dB/2.8V). I might be able to boost the low-end of the towers with DSP a bit, since they don't need...
  4. A

I've done a quick calculation in WinISD, and above 300 Hz, I can achieve 100 dB with two drivers at 2.83V to accommodate the low impedance of parallel connection. Am I missing something? At 1 watt, though, the output is around 96 dB.
  5. A

Ok, achieving 106 dB sensitivity doesn't seem realistic, even with a line array. How about wiring two of these 94 dB/W 6.5" mid-woofers in parallel to reach 100 dB and calling it a day? :) I'll be crossing the towers to quad 12" subs at 100 Hz, so low bass won't be a problem. LAVOCE WSF061.52
  6. A

I'm thinking of building a pair of 7" wide mini-towers with a sensitivity of 106 db/w, using the following drivers (chosen for their smooth frequency response): 4x Lavoce FSF041.00 4" full-range drivers (88 db/w) 1x Lavoce DF10.142LM 1" compression driver (106 db/w) 1x Lavoce HD1004 horn (1200...
  7. A

Using Behringer DI4800a as a line-level converter

My Denon X2500h doesn't have pre-outs, and I thought using a DI box (in my case a Behringer DI4800A) might be a good idea to convert the speaker level output to line level. I know the conversion can be done by other means, but the convenience of using an active DI box for connections and the...
  8. A

Making a KEF LS50 Clone

BTW, Erin tested the Q100 and LS50 drivers about a decade ago. Time flies. :) Q100 driver LS50 driver
  9. A

Making a KEF LS50 Clone

I think alex-z has a good point. The main reason why I built a new cabinet is to reduce internal resonances, which don't always manifest themselves in frequency response charts. Modifying the crossover or going with an active crossover can further improve the sound.
  10. A

Making a KEF LS50 Clone

Thank you for the reminder. It's actually about a mm in, but doesn't make much of a difference according to the quick in-room measurement I made. Yes, the KEF Q150's crossover is as simple as it gets, but I didn't bother modifying the crossover because I use DSP to fix frequency response issues.
  11. A

Adding pre outs to Denon X2500H

Yes, I still want the receiver to control the volume. Thank you for the quick and thorough response. Much appreciated! In case someone stumbles on this thread and needs digital pre outs, here's a link to the relevant thread.
  12. A

Adding pre outs to Denon X2500H

I have a Denon X2500H, and I'd like to add pre outs, so I examined the the service manuals for Denon X2400H and X2500H, and it looks like the 13 pin ribbon cable (CP401) coming from the input board (on the left side in the first image) to the amp board is an easy place to route the signal to get...
  13. A

Making a KEF LS50 Clone

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated. I personally think that the differences between the KEF Q150 and LS50 are mostly down to the cabinets used as the drivers are quite similar and DSP can be used to shape both speakers' frequency responses to a similar target. Two speakers with very...
  14. A

Making a KEF LS50 Clone

KEF makes some of the best coaxial speakers in the market, and they use the same driver platform in all their speakers ranging from the entry-level Q series to all the way up to Blade. The drivers in their higher end speakers usually have stronger motors and better crossovers, but the higher...
  15. A

Three Power Amp Fan Mods

I use pro audio power amps in my home theater. They provide tons of power for little money. There is one major downside though. Most models feature noisy fans, and for a good reason – pro audio power amps are often run at their limits, and many manufacturers prefer to err on the side of caution...
  16. A

Behringer NX1000D Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Although the power output is low at 8 and 4 ohms, this line of amps can do 2 ohms just fine, and they can double their output at that impedance. So, this one can do about 340 watts per channel at 2 ohms, bringing the total to about 680 watts. This is a respectable figure, but still well short of...
Top Bottom