Search results

1. radix

Are more expensive DACs, e.g. from S.M.S.L., equipped with higher quality, more durable components?

You should shop features, not try to over-optimize the small, invisible stuff. Competent DACs will pretty much sound the same, so spend money on something that actually makes an audible difference.
  2. radix

Legendary producer Steve Albini dead at 61

Wow, too bad. I really enjoyed his music and youtube channel.
  3. radix

SVS Micro 3000 crossover with stereo amplifier

If you can download REW and use the "Room Sim" feature, you can get an idea of how multiple subs help. You can setup your room size, then position your main speakers and add subs in different locations. The example below had the speakers off-center and only one sub in a corner (not necessarily...
  4. radix

If you have a mostly rectangular room, you can use the room wizard in REW to predict the room modes and test out sub/speaker placement. With only one sub, you might try crossing at 60-70 to let the speakers do some work. A second sub could likely fill in that 45-70 Hz range, depending on...
  5. radix

Nice. Given the limited space, the 3000 micro might just be the right sub. Did you hook those up with a Y cable or daisy chain them? (I think either would be ok, just wondering). It would be interesting to see how REW measures the system, but if you're happy with the sound that's what...
  6. radix

I use the SB2000 Pro in my TV room. It is a step up from the 3000 micro. If you look at the 2000 review (below), it gets plenty loud in the CEA-2010-A/B tests. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/svs-sb-2000-pro-vs-sb-3000-subwoofer-review.21428/ That said, the 3000...
  7. radix

Looking at the Aria 926 review, a crossover around 60-70 is probably pretty good, based on the "estimated in-room response." But the big thing is to fill in the nulls from the room that you will only see once you can do a REW measurement...
  8. radix

I don't think the micro 3000 is going to add much below 35 or so. it's a great little sub, but it's not really that full range. It can fill in and fix nulls in the 40-80 range just fine, and those can make a lot of difference. I usually cross around 60 - 80 Hz, even for larger speakers...
  9. radix

What are some ribbons microphones with big bang for the buck?

There was some discussion of ribbon mics in this thread, beginning on page 2. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/mic-and-mic-preamp-question.43030/page-2
  10. radix

network cable sounds different(ABX TEST)

One cannot willy-nilly use shielded cables. You need a proper grounding infrastructure that prevents ground loops. Unless they floated the ground on one end, they likely introduced a ground loop. Apart from data centers or very noisy manufacturing environments, there's little need for...
  11. radix

Designing Speakers For Music As You Would Experience It Live - Interview with Roy Delgado

There's nothing magic or fundamental physics about Toole's curve. They are empirical preference measurements. If Klipsch thinks there's a different curve or sound that their customers prefer, good for them. As long as they are basing it on experimentation and engineering, I think that's ok...
  12. radix

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

They are not pass through. Digital out COAX 1&2 and 3&4 correspond to the 4 output channels.
  13. radix

Audiophile hobby is a scam?

I don't really get why people get so bent out of shape about amps, preamps, cd players, dacs, streamers, cables, fuses, etc. As long as one has sufficient power and well-matched line levels, and a competently engineered device (by modern standards), they just are not a factor from a...
  14. radix

Audiophile hobby is a scam?

I think McIntosh conservatively spec's their gear to beyond human audible. You pay the premium for service, features, integration, made-in-usa, etc.. I think those are all valid soft-power price components. It's not the 0.005% THD vs 0.0001% THD. It's expensive, and while I don't think...
  15. radix

‘Aphex exciter’ effect: the hidden “holy grail” of audiophilism?

We used to have an aural exciter in our radio station's production booth (not the on-air) back in the 80s-90s. It got used for some voice over and station IDs and clips and such. As with many things, a little can be interesting, a lot is over-the-top. Maybe it was the autotune of the day? As...
  16. radix

Arendal 1723 1S Subwoofer or another model?

The Dynaudio sub6 was another I looked at for the living room. It's twin design made it look easier to position in a living room, but it is only black. There's some discussion on the sub6 and 18s (the pro version of the sub6) here...
  17. radix

Nausea from badly tuned audio?

In addition to delay and distortion, it could also be L/R or Front/Rear balance, in a car. Also, what do you mean by delay for a car environment? Or do you mean extra reverberation? There's also noise (e.g. pink) and distortion has different flavors too. It would be useful to write out all...
  18. radix

RCA to XLR trouble

The F Two can take several types of inputs: - TOSLINK or COAX for digital input - RCA input (you could use regular RCA cables from Wiim analog out to F Two) - 3.5MM stereo input Of those, TOSLINK would give you the best hum isolation. But I bet using the RCA or COAX inputs would likely be...
  19. radix

RCA to XLR trouble

Yes, if you use Toslink or Coax to the sub, the sub does the D/A conversion. If you use the F One, you need the same RCA to XLR cables. If you use the F Two, it has XLR outputs, so you use a normal XLR cable between the sub and the speakers. I'd go with the F Two. If you do not want to make...
  20. radix

RCA to XLR trouble

The F has coax in. Use wiim -> coax -> F sub, then XLR out to the 8030c.
Top Bottom