Search results

1. AnalogSteph

Help me interpret the unusual HP amp specs of my audio interface

Well, if they say plugging in a TS for unbalanced output is fine, I'd take their word for it. There are several different circuit topologies for balanced outputs that will react in different ways, and a very common variant is potentially quite unhappy if you just short one half to ground, hence...
  2. AnalogSteph

Steinberg UR12 input stage reverse-engineering and fix discussion

I have a feeling this got a bit lost in the shuffle, over in the audio interface section. I got curious why EIN in this interface was seemingly so bad (-108ish dBu flat). First of all, my UR12 Black looks the same as any other UR12 inside, see e.g...
  3. AnalogSteph

Oh yes. This is your only unbalanced kind of output on this interface (as it is on many others), and with a whopping 4 of them, it's not like you couldn't spare one. It might not look all that elegant but from a technical perspective I can't see anything wrong with this. You can't easily hook...
  4. AnalogSteph

help with getting the right audio interface

Doesn't look like much of an issue, actually: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-m50x/ Not a particularly critical set of cans all around. You could argue that an output with a bit more oomph than a 3rd-gen Scarlett would be desireable. I don't see...
  5. AnalogSteph

As you can see, it pretty much goes from distortion levels at least a magnitude below all concerns of audibility straight into clipping at 7+ Vrms into 16 ohms, or 3+ W, and the frequency response would make a ruler proud...
  6. AnalogSteph

Alternative for Klipsch R-41m (Desktop-Speakers with Subwoofer)

You definitely weren't kidding: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-r-41m-bookshelf-speaker-review.11566/ Definitely bright without EQ (plus "wiggly" highs). Some resonance issues. Drops like a rock below 80 Hz (well, it is only a 4" job after all, and the port...
  7. AnalogSteph

Noise issue- single ended signal and different ground reference?

And therein lies the crux, I bet. How exactly did you go about doing this? Car audio is a maze of ground loops by default, so amplifiers have to make accommodations for this, and their unbalanced inputs tend not to be a straightforward deal. If the amplifier came with balanced inputs, the...
  8. AnalogSteph

The Laptop Thread

It shouldn't really have been a surprise... having unified memory obviates the need for duplicating textures in system RAM and VRAM if nothing else. (The rest probably comes down to software optimization.) Such an architecture only works with a level of integration that makes RAM soldered-in...
  9. AnalogSteph

Need help with audio setup please

Ah, the trusty TC-750 in all its 3-transistor glory with ceramic capacitors in the RIAA and 34ish dB gain. I'm not saying it's not going to get the job done, but asking for a decent opamp and some film capacitors doesn't feel like demanding the impossible in this day and age...
  10. AnalogSteph

What is the point of upsampling?

I would even argue that there aren't a lot of them that don't, as dithering with noise shaping is an integral part of virtually every DAC design these days. You can sharpen an image at the expense of increased noise, but that's basically just the equivalent of cranking up the treble. Improved...
  11. AnalogSteph

Most of these are simply a function of output and frequency response, which we have already discussed. Low-impedance headphones can be taxing on channel separation due to finite ground return resistance, but when adding that much output impedance in series this effect is greatly diminshed. The...
  12. AnalogSteph

Selling my KRK VXT8, need your advice

IMHO the budget is a bit tight for what you are trying to do. Realistically you want at least a 6.5" job, e.g. Genelec 8040B or ADAM A7V. Those will do 40 Hz at about 5 dB down. The KH120 II is close (7 dB down). The IN-8v2 is about in the middle. Nobody would be scorning you for looking at...
  13. AnalogSteph

Ideal speakers for a small room (with sub)

Then you'd be a Genelec type more than a Neumann type. A pair of 8351Bs would be within budget. Since you already have a sub, those would arguably be preferable over the 8361As (dispersion is a tad smoother).
  14. AnalogSteph

Do you get more than enough volume out of the setup as-is in any situation? If so, it's basically sufficient. Planars are just about entirely ohmic loads so their frequency response will be unbothered by output impedance, and maximum output will be the dominant concern. Obviously a 120 ohm...
  15. AnalogSteph

First dac. Help me to choose.

There's still the failsafe option of running your onboard output through a Behringer HD400. Cables e.g. Cordial CFY 1,5 WPP + 2x CFM 1,5 MV (choose lengths as required but avoid >1.5 m for the latter if you can help it). Don't forget speaker stands of some kind. I've basically never had...
  16. AnalogSteph

DAC under 200€ for new newbies

1. Whatever the RX-V673 has should be more than adequate in the DAC department, generally speaking. Use its digital inputs (Toslink, coax or HDMI). Note: Receivers from this generation are known for a prematurely dying TI DSP chip on the HDMI board. That thing should be fitted with a heatsink...
  17. AnalogSteph

What are we listening to right now..

Ah dang, I missed that this is already out. Thanks for the reminder. Still hits the same as it did a decade ago... fortunately the (legal) availability of Japanese music has much improved since then. "ex Negoto" is a great album.
  18. AnalogSteph

What am I missing from this test?

I've never had particularly good results placing speakers directly on a desk either... generally it's a phasey mess. Turn on some pink noise and move around the place... dreadful. JBL 104s, being 4" coaxes and as such fairly low to the ground, were quite bad in this regard. I wonder how the...
  19. AnalogSteph

Yamaha rs202d suspicious DC offset

Absolutely. As a rule of thumb, a value within +/-100 mV is perfectly fine. I've had a look at the SM, and even the schematic states 0.048 V. This is odd, given that DC balance and input stage symmetry seem good on paper. Ah, looks like the amp was originally designed for +/-50 V but actually...
  20. AnalogSteph

Near Field Studio Monitor FR vs Real World Medium to Far Field Use

Yeah. It is less the distance itself but rather a combination of speaker dispersion and absorption by materials in the room that does it. (*) Which is why some speakers will go to great lengths to keep their dispersion constant to as low frequencies as possible e.g. by implenting a cardioid in...
Top Bottom