Search results

1. K

Acoustic design for 2 ch vs 5.1

Today I stumbled onto somebody's audio blog claiming that the media acoustic treatment/design differs between 2 channel audio and mutichannel surround, especially 7.1. Sadly I forgot to bookmark it or I'd post the link. If I can find it I'll do so. Anyway, the claim was that the acoustic...
  2. K

How to treat soffits in soundproof listening room

Hope this is the right place to post. If not, sorry, just move on. Anyway, my soon-to-be media room is framed and electrical is now going in. The plan is to use the well established design of "floating" the walls and ceiling using resilient channels and clips with double drywall, green...
  3. K

Wiring for media room

My media room is proceeding apace. Next step is finalizing electrical layout and wiring it up. The idea is 2 new 20A circuits. One will be dedicated to big, high current power amp. Someplace I read or heard that armored BX cable is (or might possibly be?) better than romex for audio uses...
  4. K

Another Roon thread - do I need it?

Again and again I keep hearing how great Roon is. So, I keep reading about it and trying figure out how I'd really benefit and always come away feeling that I'm missing something or there's something I don't understand. Here's my scenario: My "real" stereo is in a listening room (or will be...
  5. K

Listening room snake oil?

Listening room design and materials was one of the topics discussed during a recent visit to a fancy audio salon (more details on that HERE). One new thing I learned about was the importance of the proper floor covering fiber choice, as most listening spaces are carpeted. To my surprise I was...
  6. K

Unexpected convo at ultra high end audio salon

On a recent trip to NYC I dropped into an uber high end salon just to check it out. It's owned by a big name audio guy who has been in the business for decades. Usually they're appointment only but I got lucky and we ended up chatting for at least an hour. This was followed by some serious...
  7. K

How skinny can speaker cables be?

For starters let me be clear: I'm not a believer in special magic cable voodoo. At the same time I do believe that there must be some limits. At one extreme, for example, running inefficient current-hog speakers with a 300wpc amp using hook up wire is probably going to have some detrimental...
  8. K

Can 70V audio distribution system deliver decent sound?

I just moved into a new house wherein the previous owner spent gobs of $$$ on various odd technologies. These include elaborately wiring every room for cable TV (75ohm coax) and speaker wires all through the house to run a 70V audio distribution system with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers all...
  9. K

AMROC for Dummies - need help

I'm building a modest AV room and trying to get the best acoustics out of it within my size constraints. I've been trying to work around the "golden" 1 : 1.6 : 2.3 ratio. The room is in a basement space of 7.5H x 15W x 26L (ft). Obviously the ceiling is pretty low compared to the other...
  10. K

Irregular room for Audio and HT

This related to my other recent threads but different enough, I think, to merit a thread of it's own. I'm planning a combined audio/media room. Overall dimensions are about 24'x12'x8' LxWxH. It's in a basement with ductwork and such, but this only intrudes on part of the room. By boxing it...
  11. K

Placement of large TV between Magneplanars?

I posted a related question elsewhere but want to get more specific. Has anybody placed a largish video monitor, say 75" wide, between large planar speakers? In my case it's Magneplanar MGIIIa's. Room is about 12' wide. If my previous room is any guide, that would put speakers about 4' from...
  12. K

HT design around Magneplanar?

Not sure if this question is OK for ASR but here goes. If inappropriate please ignore. So, I'm planning/designing a combined HT and 2 channel listening room in new house. Let's start with the room itself. The room isn't finished so I have some latitude in terms of layout and design. That said...
  13. K

Downsizing, so integrating HT and 2 channel systems

I've now got separate HT/AV and 2-channel systems located back-to-back in a large-ish room (ca. 12 x 32 ft). I'll soon be moving to a substantially smaller space and the "media room" will shrink to 12 x 17 ft, basically what I have cut in half. Something has to give and I'm struggling with how...
  14. K

Simple streamer/DAC recommendations?

I'm looking for something for my son. His setup is utterly schizophrenic. He's now sending Spotify from his 8 year old Android earphone output to a simple Onkyo receiver setup. He says that sounds tolerable for ambient music but that's it. For better sounds, he's also using a Stax SR Sigma...
  15. K

Use Node 2i integrated DAC or Sprout100 DAC?

This is a simple setup for casual listening in living room. Still, why not get the best out of it? After reading respective reviews it seems like Sprout100 DAC outperforms the Node 2i DAC. If so I'd use the Sprout100 DAC. Buy I don't entirely understand the specs. I've tried it both ways...
  16. K

Cable management (NOT a "which fancy cable" thread)

Can anybody comment on best practices for cable management? My system is a bit of a rats nest. I've had cables coiled cause they're too long, audio cables mixed up with power cables, speaker cables right next to power cable next to wall, etc etc. I doubt I'm the only one. This fills my head...
  17. K

Ongoing Audio Odyssey

This post really has no point. I just like to write, share experiences, maybe learn new things and stay entertained by life. So, that said..... I just finished up a massive reconfiguration of my system in anticipation of moving to a smaller space and with the goal of simplifying. I've also...
  18. K

Why so few BNC's used on digital gear?

It's an ongoing amazement to me how many manufacturers use RCA's for their SPDIF interfaces. The inadequacies of RCA's has been repeatedly demonstrated even if 75 ohm cable is used. Is this really to just save a couple bucks? Lower end McIntosh stuff has RCA's as does most Japanese gear...
  19. K

Please evaluate my server for audio use

I've just recently found this forum and already found it very useful. For years I've been running an enterprise server for video. Here's what it is: Server is an HP DL385 G7: 2x Opteron 6174 (2.2Gb, 24 cores) running Win10 "pro workstation" 128Gb RAM, HD's comprise 2 volumes: The OS runs on...
Top Bottom