Search results

1. Curvature

New Topping products announced as of may 2024

I am excited to see the measured results, I'll say that.
  2. Curvature

Two audiophiles walk into a bar... (finish the joke)

Honestly not even a joke. I do this. All the time.
  3. Curvature

Casting streaming from tablet to PC - summary of investigations

So I've bypassed all of this by connecting my PC direct to the TV and then using a wireless mouse and keyboard. Elegant enough for anyone to use. Edit: Logitech MX Mini and M570 at a distance of around 3m, using the Bolt connection, for anyone who's interested.
  4. Curvature

How would you answer these questions? (Acoustics Insider Darko Interview)

For this specific phenomena, I have many doubts. I wonder how much I am personally predisposed to equating dynamics with hornspeakers. I haven't had a chance to do side-by-side comparisons, so I am wary of my memory. In other words, I don't know if I could I identify a speaker as dynamic...
  5. Curvature

How would you answer these questions? (Acoustics Insider Darko Interview)

Both should admit to the other that they have spent a lot of time tweaking, a lot of time repeating received wisdom and not much time studying. Directivity characteristics on and off-axis. "Predict the sound": let's understand that loosely, as meaning will what plays match what you expect to...
  6. Curvature

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

I can't remember the numbers. The A thresholds are based on fairly old hearing research and have limits per harmonic. The thing to remember is that these tests use a burst signal. So thresholds will be elevated vs. a continuous sound.
  7. Curvature

Collection of listening test results for thresholds. If you read the individual papers there are notes from listeners about what 10Hz feels like, etc. As far as I understand below 15Hz you hear whooshing, rushing, things like that.
  8. Curvature

Not really. There aren't too many studies about masking thresholds below 200Hz. I'm sure practically speaking the numbers change a lot. Music is the best masker anyway. High in-room decay times help with that...
  9. Curvature

Important: Another Wave of Account Hacks

As you say, credential stuffing is the most likely attack. Good service here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
  10. Curvature

This is the future of active loudspeakers. Live demo from 2023:
  11. Curvature

Klippel is developing a system that compensates for nonlinearities in a driver's transfer function. I don't know what to expect from it. It may not be practical outside of controlled circumstances.
  12. Curvature

New FOCAL TRIO6 ST6

Very similar to this older model. Not much improvement. https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/focal-trio11-be-%E2%88%92-midfield-monitor-im-test/
  13. Curvature

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

They copied Genelec's design, so they aren't all that bad.
  14. Curvature

Legendary producer Steve Albini dead at 61

I read this one as well. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/apr/25/shocking-truth-money-bands-make-on-tour-taylor-swift
  15. Curvature

This is not the case. Expenses are very high for touring. Only very successful artists are actually making money that way. Most make ends meet by gigging and doing something on the side, like, if they have musical education, then teaching. Or supplementing income by making videos. Or working...
  16. Curvature

Purifi SoundPrism-Cumulus-F1 - new $15000 experimental weird-looking speakers?

I am immediately skeptical of a design using a low volume cabinet, what looks like an AMT tweeter and zero attention to diffraction. On the other hand, these speakers are cute and clearly inspired by 1920s and 1930s microphones.
  17. Curvature

Master List of New Speakers

So why not contribute then? Personally I pay more attention to ASR and EAC than any other audio media. The list is organized, interesting, not covered in ads or verbose descriptions. it is definitely accurate—but not comprehensive. Worth the effort IMO.
  18. Curvature

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

This post may be quoted one day in a true crime show. That kind of knowledge is very... specific.
  19. Curvature

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Same in rock climbing. Look up slopers.
  20. Curvature

I'm a little worried about his estate. He sunk several million into his own studio, analogue end to end, recording on tape machines, just a few years ago. I hope the family is OK.
Top Bottom