Search results

1. L

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

The Elac's are a great example of a well designed and executed 2 way bookshelf speaker. Looking for an meaningful improvement in performance from another similar size speaker is going to be difficult and any improvements subtle at best. For real audible improvements it would be better to move...
  2. L

Do measurements bring satisfaction?

"argumentative as well as logically invalid."
  3. L

Dirac Live Exclamation Mark issue

I am not so sure. Kind of like "self driving vehicles" which were supposed to be everywhere by now but instead they are still not reliable. See example below of the impulse response of one of my subs taken with a loopback and acoustic MIC which shows an accurate timing reference. When I...
  4. L

Crossover Conundrum

+1 to this ^. The other issue is a lot of subs have built in DSP which is good on one hand but on the other adds delay and the only way to get the timing right is with DSP to delay the mains. Without proper DSP, sub integration is usually sub optimal which you have experienced yourself.
  5. L

MMM approach and a new calibration app (magic beans)

I think MMM measurements have been under appreciated and am happy to see you are looking at them closer for practical uses. One question I have is how does the NF MMM vs MLP MMM account for the baffle step? It seems like the MPL has it but the NF would "miss" it? or am I missing something?
  6. L

Excellent CD Masters

Old school gain riding
  7. L

Anyone get pics of the Aurora last night?

Picture from my sister in southern Wisconsin at 1:00 AM. Southern CA May Grey nights and mornings so nothing to see.
  8. L

Final REW measurements, opinions?

It does look a lot like what an IIR filter would do as far as Group Delay goes. I know you can use Rephase to create a FIR "Linerize" filter for a 120 Hz 24 dB per Octave Low Pass filter which should correct the sub Group Delay but not sure how it would work (or how you would apply it) if you...
  9. L

What is the crossover point and slope for the subs? Is the crossover in place for boths sets of measurements?
  10. L

I have never looked at this type of analysis before but looking at this it appears to me that the sub(s) delay is about 50 ms "off"? How does this analysis tell the difference between "delay" and "group delay". Seems like if the sub timing was shifted 50 ms you would have what you wanted? I...
  11. L

What is your favorite house curve

I don't think that is quite all of it. If you have a "good speaker" (Flat on axis response , with smooth off axis response curve/ smooth directivity in an anechoic space) at the listening position in a room it will measure with a downward sloping FR i.e. like the Harman curve. The "curve" is...
  12. L

Let me know what you find out, I am going to try again with DIRAC when I find some time.
  13. L

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Sorry to be dense but what is a "pulsed bandpassed sequence" and do they occur in music?
  14. L

I have the PC based DIRAC, not sure on any other version, see attached.
  15. L

While the measured variations are small they look like enough that they could easily "confuse" an algorithm that is looking to figure out where the LP is in relationship to the main speakers and the sub(s) based on a handful of measurements. Add in unknown DSP delays, Pre Ringing, room...
  16. L

Looking at the measurement variations inherent with a USB Mic https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/acoustic-phase-measurements.13300/post-99941 and then taking multiple measurements all with random timing errors it is no surprise DIRAC struggles.
  17. L

Interesting graph. In my case the DIRAC sub timing was about 125 ms off (The correct amount of adjustment relative to the mains and the LP was to delay the mains 4 ms) so that is huge and I found it very audible. DIRAC did a good job on the FR of the mains if I measured them without the sub...
  18. L

I recently purchased DIRAC with the subwoofer support and could not get it to work consistently.... every time I measured I got a different result despite have the Mic in the same places. It also did crazy and inconsistent things with the sub timing. I have a feeling it has something to do with...
  19. L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

The first time I ever thought about this was after reading one of your posts. Playing around with old "real" mono records and switching between stereo and "mix down to mono" this effect is very obvious even on speakers. The out of phase noise on an LP can sound a lot like "room ambiance" on a...
  20. L

Please help me choose a turntable...

I would go Technics all the way. I have several DD Technics from the 1970's which work perfectly so I don't think IC life is an issue. Of all the products I have ever owned, not just audio products, I am the most satisfied with my Technics TT's.
Top Bottom