Search results

1. C

Car audio speaker testing setup. Equipment advice needed.

Connecting laptop to head unit: Can I just use a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor?
  2. C

Car audio speaker testing setup. Equipment advice needed.

Hello all! I'm back into this project after a long delay Previous speaker testing thread. I am going to start fresh and need assistance selecting equipment for the best/easiest results. My plan is to test car audio speakers at multiple power levels to determine how they behave at normal...
  3. C

Measuring speaker output at multiple power levels

How have I not found this channel???!!!
  4. C

This is exactly what I'm after!!! I don't want to recommend a speaker/amplifier combination based only on speaker manufacturers specifications. It is very possible that a speaker will sound terrible at the stated RMS value (some of the speakers I carry are rated for 600 Watts RMS, but no one...
  5. C

To be honest, I have no Idea what I am looking at on this graph. I tried reading through the REW documentation on the distortion graph but got lost in the vocabulary. I'm not sure how many people in my customer base will understand the distortion levels, so I don't know how much I would need...
  6. C

Do you mind giving me a quick analysis of this distortion data?
  7. C

I'm more in the 140dB range at the moment. I am interested in learning about THD and how to understand the data. This is what I was asking... sorry for the confusion.
  8. C

For the amplifier output I recently received a Hantek 1008C USB scope. I understand that this is probably not the best device, but for the price I figured it would be a good starting point.
  9. C

Agreed. I am sitting the drivers on my desk at the moment. If I have a driver with a 'cooling' vent on the back of the motor I will raise it up to not restrict the airflow.
  10. C

Excellent advice. Other than the mics, do you have a recommendation for the audio interface device? Ideally it would be able to replace my head unit for output to interface directly with the low level RCA inputs of the amplifier (or have a strong enough amplifier... and won't break the bank)...
  11. C

Yes, I am testing them in free air at the moment. Since I have so many speakers to test I figured this would be easiest for me.
  12. C

How would I explain the distortion values? or is there something else that would be more interesting for my purposes?
  13. C

Explanation: (correct me if I am wrong) It appears that this speaker, even with a non-linear response, can reproduce equally at levels from 1 watt up to 147 watts with little to no change in response. Testing up to the max RMS wattage is still to be done, but I'm scared.
  14. C

I have done some testing with the information gathered here (Thank you all). Setup: Speaker: Single Kicker ST7 4ohm Source: Car stereo head unit (Kenwood DMX125B) connected to computer via bluetooth (I know, not the best, but it's what I have at the moment) Amplifier: DS18 GFX-2.2k1...
  15. C

Wow! I didn't even know what that button was for... Sorry, I'm a total newb with REW. Been using it for a while, but only for very basic stuff. What other information would be interesting to present/record?
  16. C

Excellent advice!!! That appeared to help, though I'm using windows 11, and the adjustment interface only gives me a percentage (which I reduced to 50%). Measurements had repeatable results after making this adjustment! How do you recommend I test? White/pink noise? What is the best way to...
  17. C

Let me back up a bit: A speaker with a 95dB sensitivity running at 250W will only produce ~118dB. The UMM-6 is rated for up to 127dB, so should work.. for now. Is it possible I have an incorrect setting in REW? My issue is that it warns of signal clipping during a sweep test at higher...
  18. C

Interesting. I don't know how far into this I want to get as there is a point of diminishing returns on a project like this. I agree that it needs to be repeatable (as should testing of any kind). Before I start to think about chambers, I would need to understand what 'microphone' I would...
  19. C

Yes and no. What do I test with? Sweep, white noise, pink noise? Do I limit the frequency range as per your statement about the Xmax? (which in itself is an interesting mode of the test; how does the frequency range change with power?) I noticed during a quick bench test at higher wattage...
Top Bottom