Search results

1. G

ABX audio test on Denon AVR

Is there a way to take this ABX test on my Macbook Air but listen to it through the DAC on my Denon AVR-X4800H. I was interested in doing an ABX audio test to see if I can tell the difference between 320k lossy and lossless audio, primarily as a way of deciding between Spotify and Tidal. My...
  2. G

Are there SPDIF or Optical Audio to HDMI output converters?

I seem to be coming up empty with this search, but is a SPDIF to HDMI converter or an optical audio to HMDI converter a thing? I'd like to send my digital audio signal from my WiiM Pro streamer to my AVR via HDMI so I can have it turn on automatically and switch to the source when I send a Tidal...
  3. G

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Getting a AC Infinity AIRCOM fan system made a big difference in my setup. It's nice to know that there are three thermostat controlled fans quietly pulling air through my AVR as needed.
  4. G

Confusion over music streaming and DAC for my AVR. Do I need both?

It would make sense that Amazon would have their own devices support their paid services. I like the WiiM devices as pure music streamers over the Fire Stick for the extensive direct connect streaming service options available. That said, your Streaming Stick sounds like it beats them in one...
  5. G

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Can someone confirm if there is any difference in using the digital coax input vs the optical toslink input on the the X4800H? I want to connect a Wiim Pro to the AVR to use as my music streamer, and I'm not sure if there are any considerations between the two that I should be aware of? This...
  6. G

That's helpful for people with iOS who find this thread. I'm Android, so it does not apply to me. From what I've gathered so far in my research, it looks like my takeaways are the following (someone correct me if any of these assumptions are not true): My NVIDIA Shield TV Pro 2019 connected...
  7. G

It does not. It has Spotify connect, but not Tidal connect. Tidal has to be done through HEOS, which does not allow you to initiate or control Tidal from the Tidal app.
  8. G

That's helpful to know. It's unfortunate that despite my best efforts to move away from discrete devices for every feature of my humble living room system, I still can't seem to get everything into the AVR. I suppose that was my fault for not better researching just how Tidal is implemented with...
  9. G

One thing I've noticed as a potential upside for using the Nvidia Shield Pro as the Chromecast for streaming music is that it will play music videos from Tidal (and presumably from Youtube Music or other streaming services that offer video blended in). One downside is that it always turns my...
  10. G

I do have an Nvidia Shield Pro and it's the only source I really use for video through the AVR-X4800H. Would I be able to get hi-res audio output from the Shield Pro to the AVR? I hadn't thought of that because I mostly have read that the Tidal app on the Shield puts out about -10 dB compared to...
  11. G

Yes, I have experience with Tidal, Spotify, and YouTube Music. Most of these would work fine for me if they offered the same quality. Tidal and Amazon have the best quality. That said, only Spotify has direct integration with the receiver. The others would have to go through HEOS, which is...
  12. G

Is WiiM pro a bluesound node and Yamaha wxc 50 killer ?

I have HEOS on my Devon AVR and the app is in my opinion terrible as a music streaming control center. I'd much prefer to use the native streaming service's app instead.
  13. G

That makes sense. I'd have to keep a Chromecast on another input if I wanted to keep the AVR in the cast network and be about to stream around the home in a Google Home audio group. That feature alone would bump me to the Wiim Pro. I guess the dangling question out there is if there are...
  14. G

Given that we are a Google Home/Assistant household, I think if going this route we would need to step up to the Pro to gain Chromecast, group with Google Home, and Google Voice Assistant. I'm not sure there would be a technical sound quality difference between my current Chromecast audio...
  15. G

Yes, that option works for Spotify. I suppose if we ditch Tidal - which does not have that option - this would be a way to go without adding additional equipment assuming there is no additional benefit from an external streamer for this setup.
  16. G

I am somewhat new to this, so please forgive me. I'm trying to figure out if I need a music streamer and a DAC, just the streamer, or if there's another path I'm not considering. I have been working on improving my audio situation in my living room a Denon AVR-X4800 and have a 2.1 speaker...
  17. G

Arendal Sound 1961 Tower review (by Erin)

It is entirely possible that I've gotten so used to the sound of the HSU HB1-MK2 speakers that the Arendal sound like they have no upper range detail. The Q Acoustics 5040 speakers were just purchased to see if I prefer them over the Arendal speakers before my 60 days to return them is up, so...
  18. G

Arendal Sound 1961 Tower review (by Erin)

I purchased the Arendal 1961 towers and am thinking I might return them. I can't seem to figure out why I'm getting such a muted treble response. I'm not one who loves sibilance, but the symbols in music are almost gone, and the entire upper range is seriously subdued. I played side-by-side with...
  19. G

I measured 10 subwoofers.

I also have two SVS 3000 Micros in my living room due to WAF, but I am not very impressed with them at all for home theater purposes. My living would be considered a "large" room, however, so that could be a factor. They just fail to pressuring the room at all. You don't feel anything.
  20. G

Struggle replacing Old AVR - tried RZ50, 4800h, and Cinema 70 - what now?

How did you demo all of these AVRs? Which retailer allows so many returns for this purpose? Are there return expenses? I'm in a similar boat wanting to get a new AVR but am not confident how each will sound in my setup.
Top Bottom