Search results

1. bachatero

ATC speakers / Monitors

ATC makes you wonder why the best engineering universities are in the US and China
  2. bachatero

Are pricey DACs really better? DAC suggestions needed

Just get the cheapest one from the options above that fits your needs, then spend the rest of your budget on a subwoofer so that you aren't missing a couple octaves of music (the KH120ii lacks a lot of bass response)
  3. bachatero

Bryston Speakers, No Love?

I noticed that in the catalog! But the "Online Shopping" link on their site is broken and none of their online dealers actually offer these active speakers, so competing in the "cheap active DSP" market doesn't appear to be on the table.
  4. bachatero

I hate to break it to you, but as a Gen Z, I have absolutely zero (0) reason to be interested in amps. Why spend big buck$ on an amp + cable + speakers when I could get better performance with an active DSP speaker for much less? I don't have a crystal ball, but I predict that although companies...
  5. bachatero

It could be that they haven't done much marketing or that they don't offer anything compared to other speaker companies on paper. I didn't know about this "Bryston" company until just now so there's an example of bad marketing.
  6. bachatero

Extreme Snake Oil

Snake oil on track to put Saudi Arabia out of business
  7. bachatero

2 Aiyima A07 Max vs Fosi Za3

140W per channel would mean 280W combined, but its 48V 5A power supply is only rated for 48V * 5A = 240W, so 280W is impossible unless you want to overload the power supply
  8. bachatero

2 Aiyima A07 Max vs Fosi Za3

Since you need at least 130w per speaker, only two Aiyima A07 Max amps could work here because each one can handle up to 166w @ 4 ohms. The one Fosi Audio ZA3 wouldn't be enough for both channels since it can only output 140w combined @ 4 ohms. Hope this helps! :)
  9. bachatero

Connecting DAC with PC via 30-50ft long USB Cables

That should be just fine, since ASIO has zero (0) concept of graceful degradation so either you get perfection or you get nothing.
  10. bachatero

The only reason I brought it up is because it's commonly claimed that cables can't only partially affect sound quality, when in reality it's possible but only in certain circumstances that normal people don't need to worry about.
  11. bachatero

@voodooless I never actually claimed anything about USB cables, just how network packet loss can cause graceful degredation of Opus.
  12. bachatero

Technically speaking, it's possible for a cable to reduce sound quality and not just cut out. If you have a network stream with a codec like Opus and have packet loss in the cable, Opus can degrade gracefully and still deliver sound but at a lower quality. However, this basically only happens...
  13. bachatero

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

This is difficult to do without knowing exactly the output impedance of the DAC. However, you can make a good guess depending on trustworthy the maker is and depending on what kind of output (TRS or RCA?) it uses.
  14. bachatero

Give me a reason to keep using these balanced cables

The left speaker and my PC are connected the the UPS in the photo. The right speaker is connected to a different UPS you can't see, and both UPSes are plugged into that wall outlet. The noise, however, was the same on both speakers.
  15. bachatero

KH120 II or Barefoot Footprint 03 or PSI A14 or Focal Shape?

My setup right now is simply the Kalis connected to a Motu M2 connected to my desktop. I chose the M2 years ago because I needed a good mic input for zoom calls and music production, but it just so happens to have a completely kickass DAC too! For the acoustics and calibration part, I made my...
  16. bachatero

My Motu M2 IS balanced, but only for TRS. For RCA, it's of course unbalanced. My RCA-XLR cable luckily seems to be one of the "proper" ones which uses the ground as the opposing signal, essentially delivering a signal with balanced levels of noise but unbalanced levels of signal. I'll see if I...
  17. bachatero

KH120 II or Barefoot Footprint 03 or PSI A14 or Focal Shape?

I'm in a similar position to you. With a budget of $3K, you're just out of reach of the KH 150s which would go well as a pair, while the options you mentioned would work better paired with a subwoofer which isn't in your budget. One alternative option that might satisfy you more is to get a...
  18. bachatero

I hate audiophilia too, but my desk really does have tons of noise. It's right behind a bunch of kitchen appliances in addition to having multiple monitors, lights, computers, 10 gigabit copper ethernet cables, USB cables, backup batteries, and some more extra stuff. It also doesn't allow many...
  19. bachatero

I'm not sure what you mean. Cable noise is only a function of the cable's insulation/balancing and what emissions the surrounding gear emits. So although the computer gear is causing the symptom of high cable noise, it's irrelevant because I will not change my desk setup just to use a cheap &...
Top Bottom