• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Bamboo V2" project. 3E Audio 260-2-29A Stéréo Rev. B (OPA1656) + PFC/LLC PSU. APx555 Measurements )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Do you think it's possible this project (or similar with the 3E board) could fit in a 1U rack chassis?
I just got mine and still deciding on a PSU, etc.

Also was curious about something as a noob, since I see 12v triggers and soft start power supplies pretty commonly…
I know speakers popping is bad, which is why I use a power sequencer, but would there be an issue with leaving the amp switched on but pulling power?

The 3E module size is 105mm x 90mm x 38.5mm. You have to consider a case with a height of at least 5cm in my opinion....
Regarding the trigger function it is relative to the PSU that you will choose )
You dont have to worry about pop noise issue with this module. It is really well protected.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have distortion measurement against frequency in Amir style? The multitone distortion is very good on high frequency.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Do you have distortion measurement against frequency in Amir style? The multitone distortion is very good on high frequency.

I did not measure it but should be the same as the Rev A measured by Amir.(@+- 5 % )
The Connex module has two high-frequency snubbers to filter the high-frequency noise which can explain the good multitone result.

The 3E module size is 105mm x 90mm x 38.5mm. You have to consider a case with a height of at least 5cm in my opinion....
Regarding the trigger function it is relative to the PSU that you will choose )
You dont have to worry about pop noise issue with this module. It is really well protected.
Thanks for the reply!

So... not that I would actually consider doing this, but just curious... do you think replacing (or in some way moving/angling) the caps would be a terrible idea (in an attempt to fit it into a 1U chassis)?
And sorry, my post might not have been all that clear, but I'm not at all worried about my speakers popping, just didn't know if maybe an amp/PSU would need to be powered off using a switch instead of just unplugging it from power (like maybe it also needs a "soft stop"?). Is there a PSU you'd recommend if this is the case? It will be ideally plugged into a power sequencer.

3eaudio

Audio Company
Thanks for the reply!

So... not that I would actually consider doing this, but just curious... do you think replacing (or in some way moving/angling) the caps would be a terrible idea (in an attempt to fit it into a 1U chassis)?
And sorry, my post might not have been all that clear, but I'm not at all worried about my speakers popping, just didn't know if maybe an amp/PSU would need to be powered off using a switch instead of just unplugging it from power (like maybe it also needs a "soft stop"?). Is there a PSU you'd recommend if this is the case? It will be ideally plugged into a power sequencer.
@Hall of Canons replace the 4pcs BUCK cap to something like 25mm height like 1200uF as below one should fit into 1U chassis, you can just power on off the power supply feed to the amp, this is the simple way.
here https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Rubycon/63ZLH1200MEFC18X25/?qs=T3oQrply3y%2BXT41AV6EKyA==

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply!

The best practice is to use a Power On/Off switch ) Get the same PSU as mine if you need a soft start operation (page 1)

docjordan

Audio Company
Hello,

first I'd like to thank you @daniboun for introducing me and my services regarding high performance audio measurements

If somebody is located in europe (EU) my measurement service might be useful

I offer 3 stages:

1) DIY: via remote https://www.akulap.de/joomla/index.php/en/en-shop/product/view/15/255

2) I perform the measurements: https://www.akulap.de/joomla/index.php/en/en-shop/product/view/15/166

3) Full custom measurements. For very advanced setups

Of course all measurment results are confidential.

docjordan

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

first I'd like to thank you @daniboun for introducing me and my services regarding high performance audio measurements

If somebody is located in europe (EU) my measurement service might be useful

I offer 3 stages:

1) DIY: via remote https://www.akulap.de/joomla/index.php/en/en-shop/product/view/15/255

2) I perform the measurements: https://www.akulap.de/joomla/index.php/en/en-shop/product/view/15/166

3) Full custom measurements. For very advanced setups

Of course all measurment results are confidential.

docjordan
Hi,

Thanks for these useful services.

However you should declare yourself to the ASR's staf (@AdamG & @BDWoody) as a company. ;)

docjordan

Audio Company
Yes, you are right, I'm quite new to this forum but not to audio ;-)
Yes, I am a (small) 100% independant company, and I offer services (mostly related to audio measurements but my key knowledge is software development and DSP).

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hello,

Hi doc )
Nice to read you and welcome on board :)

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
The best practice is to use a Power On/Off switch ) Get the same PSU as mine if you need a soft start operation (page 1)
Sorry, I’m not sure why I’m having so much trouble communicating this, but I’ll have it in a rack plugged into a power sequencer, because I don’t want to use a switch for each thing I need to power on and off in my setup. I already have the power sequencer (and conditioner, technically) and I’ve been using it for my recording studio, and I’m adding this amp with a second set of speakers to the system.
(The speakers I have been using previously have built-in amps.) The question is what PSU should I get for this purpose so that disconnecting power (or for that matter, reconnecting power with the amp “on”) doesn’t harm anything?
(Just imagine for all intents and purposes, it’s plugged into a power strip and I’ll be turning on/off the power strip, not pressing a switch on the amp itself, or imagine there’s no switch on the amp itself, if that’s possible)

OR would it be harmful regardless and I’ll need to figure out a way to add a trigger or something?

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Sorry, I’m not sure why I’m having so much trouble communicating this, but I’ll have it in a rack plugged into a power sequencer, because I don’t want to use a switch for each thing I need to power on and off in my setup. I already have the power sequencer (and conditioner, technically) and I’ve been using it for my recording studio, and I’m adding this amp with a second set of speakers to the system.
(The speakers I have been using previously have built-in amps.) The question is what PSU should I get for this purpose so that disconnecting power (or for that matter, reconnecting power with the amp “on”) doesn’t harm anything?
(Just imagine for all intents and purposes, it’s plugged into a power strip and I’ll be turning on/off the power strip, not pressing a switch on the amp itself, or imagine there’s no switch on the amp itself, if that’s possible)

OR would it be harmful regardless and I’ll need to figure out a way to add a trigger or something?
In this case, I advise you to opt for a PSU with a Soft Start, this will allow you to delay the increase in current and ensure protection for your amp. It remains optional but the PSU that I proposed here seems appropriate to me)

Top Bottom