• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Computer Audiophiles Are Anti-Computer

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I have carefully followed the latest trends in computer to DAC playback for many years. And those trends are really a reflection of a philosophy by a small number of zealots who populate one or two forums. The trend in digital playback is to eliminate the computer as much as possible. Of course, the computer is needed and it can never be totally removed from the playback chain. But that's the goal.

IMO, computers offer many advantages to digital playback. Those advantages range from building a better digital attenuation method to utilizing computer power to build better digital reconstruction filters to make DACs work better and offer great possibilities for multi channel playback. Finally, powerful computers can even improve the acoustics at seated position. All of these improvements are easily measured objectively and subjectively.

But the computer Audiophile zealots don't like the computer's power. They don't like to use technology in the above described way. They only want a low power and low function computer which can only do one thing: playback 2CH music. There isn't even a theory. Some say the computer is noisy and therefore the noise must be stopped. What noise are they talking about? I've never heard any computer noise associated with playback. When I had a TT, I sure could hear noise associated with vinyl playback. But modern DACs are so well designed, there's no way computer "noise" could even be audible, if it exists at all.

What about the evidence or measurements that powerful and useful computing power degrades playback? I've seen no such evidence.

So I ask, has the so called "computer audiophile" become the new neurotic audiophile? Are these people clamboring for the next micro rendering Linux box or whatever totally insane? IOW, is this another USB hub hysterical circle jerk. It all seems to repeat over and over again like the Audioquest jitterbug or the embarrassingly designed Regen.

Here's the latest mass hysteria thread:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-fact-or-fiction-28490/index2.html#post539581

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Go Michael... Rip them a new one! :D

" I'm gona kick ass and chew bubble gum.., and I'm all out of gum!" Duke nukem 3D
" your face.. your ass, whats the difference?" Duke nukem 3D

That's what computers were to me but all for sticking a ultra powerful unit in the loft to give me better measured results in my room. And all for the price of a mains cable too! Wonder which will have the biggest impact?

I have to say my only experience is with a chord Hugo over usb from a lap top and I could hear noise tbh. Same with a audioquest firefly or what ever it's called fed from my mums Big Mac... Noise.

Not tried powering my TAD this way though, it's in my future for sure. Only way for me to get on the room correction bandwagon. I want to run multi subs at some point too all synced and calibrated at source for my L shaped room:eek:

John Kenny

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All one has to do to check out if you have any noise from your computer that is affecting your computer audio playback, is to audition an Intona galvanic isolator. It's too simplistic a view to say that you can't hear any noise - the typical audible effect of such noise is only noticeable when it's removed. BE might be willing to lend his Intona to anyone interested in checking this?

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
All one has to do to check out if you have any noise from your computer that is affecting your computer audio playback, is to audition an Intona galvanic isolator. It's too simplistic a view to say that you can't hear any noise - the typical audible effect of such noise is only noticeable when it's removed. BE might be willing to lend his Intona to anyone interested in checking this?
I have one. But I didn't buy it to reduce noise. I haven't noticed any sonic improvement. But it is very useful. I can run over 20' of USB from my server to my prism Titan without a problem.

John Kenny

I have one. But I didn't buy it to reduce noise. I haven't noticed any sonic improvement. But it is very useful. I can run over 20' of USB from my server to my prism Titan without a problem.
Very good but maybe your experience with a $4,000 digital audio interface may not be everyone's ?
Can you tell me - is your impression done with Titan's sample rate converter engaged? As my limited experience of SRCs is that they tend to homogenise the sound, making any improvements in source signal quality unnoticeable.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
No. I don't use any SRC. Btw, I also used the intona on a lynx Hilo and no miracles were witnessed either.

John Kenny

No. I don't use any SRC. Btw, I also used the intona on a lynx Hilo and no miracles were witnessed either.
OK, no SRC.
I don't think "miracles" are the audible effects of the Intona - did you notice "any" sonic difference with the Intona & Hilo?

Phelonious Ponk

So I ask, has the so called "computer audiophile" become the new neurotic audiophile? Are these people clamboring for the next micro rendering Linux box or whatever totally insane? IOW, is this another USB hub hysterical circle jerk. It all seems to repeat over and over again like the Audioquest jitterbug or the embarrassingly designed Regen.

Here's the latest mass hysteria thread:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-fact-or-fiction-28490/index2.html#post539581

Yes. And the site that bears that name is the epicenter of digital audiophile nervosa. They've turned computers and DACs into things as opaque and tweak-inspiring as turntables, and that should come as no surprise. Tweaking, obsession and worry is their hobby, not music, or even fidelity. They will suffer the pain of massively bloated hardware and price tags, and the indignity of horrible user interfaces, then convert to analog through a DAC with tubes sticking out of it like a paper flower from a clown's arse, insuring that the kid standing next to them on the subway with a good pair of IEMs plugged into his iPhone is getting better fidelity. No, sadly, audiophile nervosa didn't stop at the digital door.

Did I say that out loud? Oh well...it's Fight Club.

Tim

JoeWhip

I get sublime sound via USB out of my Mac book Air. I do use the Wyrd in the chain as it has completely eliminated any dropouts. Listening to Christian Jacobs Live in Toyko now via Audirvana 2.5. Couldn't be happier.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have used any number of different computers here, and never noticed any difference, ( post Vista)
I use the Intona, I can't honestly say it improves the SQ ,but it just feels better with it in circuit, I guess everyone is prone to expectation/hope/
Keith.

Phelonious Ponk

OMG, Dallas, you made me look! And it looks like a personal argument between a few guys, mostly about posting style, not the product. My initial reaction to the thread was "what the hell is a uRendu?" Usually, Google is my friend, but in this case it pointed me back to more computeraudiophile threads, and one that looked like it could be the manufacturer, but landed on a complete re-post of Chris Connaker's (owner/operator of computeraudiophile) review of the product. I will not suffer that as long as there are books I haven't read, but I did wade in a paragraph or so and guessed that it is a computer. A hobbled one.

Does this product have any life outside of CA?

Tim

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Mike does this mean the Hilo is no more, has it shuttled off this mortal coil ?
Keith.

John Kenny

I have used any number of different computers here, and never noticed any difference, ( post Vista)
I use the Intona, I can't honestly say it improves the SQ ,but it just feels better with it in circuit, I guess everyone is prone to expectation/hope/
Keith.
Keith, how many of your customers have tried the Intona & reported no sonic difference with it?

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
What noise are they talking about?
The stuff inside their heads. Audiophile disorder has many symptoms depending on subset, I think "computer disorder" falls under general category of "digital disorders".
The key is always to peek and know in order to "hear".
"Trusting ears" must be bleated ad infinitum....but never practiced.

cheers

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Mike does this mean the Hilo is no more, has it shuttled off this mortal coil ?
Keith.
I still have the Hilo. I need 6 analog out with at least one in and the prism the best solution for that.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Keith, how many of your customers have tried the Intona & reported no sonic difference with it?
A couple of guys tried who had ' properly designed ' dacs with async USB and they didn't report any change, one chap kept it anyway, it has removed audible noise from a two older design dacs , whose USB protocol perhaps wasn't allot should have been.
Keith

John Kenny

A couple of guys tried who had ' properly designed ' dacs with async USB and they didn't report any change, one chap kept it anyway, it has removed audible noise from a two older design dacs , whose USB protocol perhaps wasn't allot should have been.
Keith
Got any details of their "properly designed DACs" & maybe the rest of their setup?

This bit confuses me "two older design dacs , whose USB protocol perhaps wasn't all it should have been." Do you think the Intona has something to do with improving USB protocol? Asynch USB has nothing to do with the working principle of the Intona.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I still have the Hilo. I need 6 analog out with at least one in and the prism the best solution for that.
I see, you must keep me abreast of your sales and acquisitions!
What about amps, are the A/B s different to the D's?
I have just ordered Sonny's ( Phison Audio) new AB amp , might try that in place of the Kalugas, although they are still currently my reference.
Keith

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Keith I had to get rid of the Mola Makua DAC pre. Although Bruno confirmed the AES was sample synchronous so that I could take sweeps with it in a MCH setup, he forgot to tell me the DAC exhibits goofy variable latencies (not talking about different latencies for each sample rate) every time the AES relocks. IMO, it's a product defect and should be fixed. He said he doesn't plan to fx it and couldn't have foreseen an issue with users. Of course, I had explained my setup to him before and he didn't disclose the strange variable latency. The result for me was an impossible crossover. I showed him group delay plots which changed my crossover pretty substantially.

I'm done with Bruno and his gear. I made my dealer take the DAC back and the Mola Kalugas are up for sale. The amps are a great value but I just want to move away from his products. IMO, Bruno is more focused on being right and being the technical "best." For example, the makua manual contains a strange screed about why FIR reconstruction filters are the best and other filters suck; blah blah blah. It's stuff that belongs on DIYaudio, not a product manual.

IMO, the best manufacturers are the ones who focus on their customers and not so much on trying to win some esoteric engineering challenge.

Top Bottom