• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DEQX Premate 8 digital active crossover / DSP

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've already covered my thoughts on minDSP vs DEQX vs CamillaDSP/software DSP elsewhere in this thread, but just wanted to point out that CamillaDSP can easily handle inputs besides USB.

However - it is DIY, has no built-in DAC's, and only USB input.

I think this is one of CamillaDSP's great strengths, you can easily use different capture and playback devices AND implement adaptive asynchronously resampling to avoid buffer under/over runs even if those devices are not clock sync'd.

Michael

Sined

You are essentially depending on the algorithm to make decisions for you. What if you don't like those decisions? You would hope there is some way to over-ride it and make the software do what you want. To me this is the biggest unknown of the DEQX.
Yep !
This is why I choked to jump into the new DEXQ pre-8 acquisition and testing. I'm afraid that, to reach more non-technical users and to lower after sales support costs, the software will be developed to be more user friendly and possibly do a lot of calibration automatically behind the scene and for which we have no control for fine tuning. I prefer to wait and see a user's manual to see how the engine will work.

sarieri

Forum Donor
I've already covered my thoughts on minDSP vs DEQX vs CamillaDSP/software DSP elsewhere in this thread, but just wanted to point out that CamillaDSP can easily handle inputs besides USB.

I think this is one of CamillaDSP's great strengths, you can easily use different capture and playback devices AND implement adaptive asynchronously resampling to avoid buffer under/over runs even if those devices are not clock sync'd.

Michael
I think Camilladsp is pretty much an end game DSP except that it cannot decode various multichannel audio format. But that’s the problem for most DSPs unless you go to some AVR route.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I think Camilladsp is pretty much an end game DSP except that it cannot decode various multichannel audio format. But that’s the problem for most DSPs unless you go to some AVR route.

I would be interested in Camilla, except that the install process is horrendously complex on a Windows PC. It required installation of some library, and then it required a few commands to be typed in via a command line before it would launch. I couldn't get it working, a friend who is a computer programmer (and who had managed to install Camilla) had to come over and even he had trouble. It took him hours. After he left, I couldn't figure out how to launch it. I never got past the install process, so I have a number of questions about whether it is worth trying again.

- Can it host VST's?
- Can you switch between filters via a web app? I use Acourate Convolver and this is my favourite feature.
- What is the latency between filter changes? Is it a zero latency filter like Hang Loose Convolver?
- How easy is it to load filters? Is a command line required?

If it ticks all those boxes, then I will consider trying to install Camilla again.

3ll3d00d

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be interested in Camilla, except that the install process is horrendously complex on a Windows PC. It required installation of some library, and then it required a few commands to be typed in via a command line before it would launch. I couldn't get it working, a friend who is a computer programmer (and who had managed to install Camilla) had to come over and even he had trouble. It took him hours. After he left, I couldn't figure out how to launch it. I never got past the install process, so I have a number of questions about whether it is worth trying again.

- Can it host VST's?
- Can you switch between filters via a web app? I use Acourate Convolver and this is my favourite feature.
- What is the latency between filter changes? Is it a zero latency filter like Hang Loose Convolver?
- How easy is it to load filters? Is a command line required?

If it ticks all those boxes, then I will consider trying to install Camilla again.

I understand CamillaDSP is not for everyone, I just don't appreciate spreading blatantly false information like saying it only supports USB inputs.

Just my 2 cents but if I wanted to use CamillaDSP and I was starting from a Windows PC, I'd get a raspberry pi and use it in USB gadget mode. In such a setup the raspberry pi running camillaDSP acts as a USB I/O device. To a Windows PC the raspberry pi looks like any other USB audio device, and you can set it up to use any number of input / output channels. Installation on Linux is easy if you can follow instructions and copy / paste.

There is a web app, after installation you use the web app to control everything in a configuration, no need to touch the command line after installation.

You can easily switch filters in the web app. For short filters the switch is instantaneous with no perceptible delay. If you are implementing linear phase FIRs that are several seconds long there is a slight pause between switching filters (around 0.5 sec).

Michael

Ibanez

Danville Nexus, complete DSP unit. 48V phantom powered mic, USB in, 2 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, DSP Concepts' Audio Weaver, that one in-box solution i would have considered if i didn't have to import it to Sweden, that will be $3000 x 1.25 (vat deposit) = 3,794. Just too much. PC with Acourate and my used Antelope ossc is cheaper, and more channels to play with also. But i really like the idea of their Audio Weaver, you can time alignment the drivers in real-time in that program, which not acourate, audiolense or dephoinca will do. Heck, even my old car stereo Pioneer Deh-P88RSII can do that and it's from what, 2008, why cant modern programmed PC based DSP:s do that? so much cpu power we have in todays pc's that should not be to hard to implement, if an old car stereo unit could do it from 2008, and even older units than that could do it in real-time, why not.
I wish i could buy an Audio Weaver license for private use, but as i understand that is not possible due to it is hardware specific.

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Danville Nexus, complete DSP unit. 48V phantom powered mic, USB in, 2 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, DSP Concepts' Audio Weaver, that one in-box solution i would have considered if i didn't have to import it to Sweden, that will be $3000 x 1.25 (vat deposit) = 3,794. Just too much. PC with Acourate and my used Antelope ossc is cheaper, and more channels to play with also. But i really like the idea of their Audio Weaver, you can time alignment the drivers in real-time in that program, which not acourate, audiolense or dephoinca will do. Heck, even my old car stereo Pioneer Deh-P88RSII can do that and it's from what, 2008, why cant modern programmed PC based DSP:s do that? so much cpu power we have in todays pc's that should not be to hard to implement, if an old car stereo unit could do it from 2008, and even older units than that could do it in real-time, why not.
I wish i could buy an Audio Weaver license for private use, but as i understand that is not possible due to it is hardware specific.

You can run Audioweaver on a PC and I believe you can get a free trial to evaluate it ;)

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor

"Real-time" adjustment of delays is a function of the convolver, not the filter design software (which is what Acourate and Audiolense are designed to do). Nearly all convolvers I can think of have the ability to adjust delays, though not all of them can do it real-time. It may involve stopping the music and reloading the filter.

I am curious how "real-time" delay adjustment in Audio Weaver works. Would you be able to describe the procedure?

Top Bottom