• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live Exclamation Mark issue

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Which ones are compatible with macOS?
REW is native. I use Parallels with Windows 11 to run MSO and others, which works fine. All on an M1Pro MB pro. Ratbuddesy works fine this way as well if you wish to play with Audessy. Only problem I have is with MultEQ-X, which won't even download.

Davide

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be sure to understand, the orange curve should be more horizontal or nearer the 0 ms as the red one. So you interpret the result as if DLBC produce to much delays below 70Hz instead of helping?. And you say this difference is audible. ? I must find how to hear it.
But is it true for only the MLP measurement that I took? If I put the mic elsewhere, the GD should be different isn't it? But I have taken 13 measurements. Does an "average GD achievable?
If I open a ticket what should I explain or point out?
Yes, to be not audible the GD should remain below 50ms at 20hz if I'm not mistaken. I should go and review but I'm a bit busy now.

In fact, it is not easy to make a valid comparison to determine the audibility. I compare with AudioLense and AB switch plugin. I also tried roughly correcting the phase with Rephase to flatten the GD, but it's not that simple because it gets out of phase respect to mains.

However, if you make various measurements in your listening area you shouldn't get very different curves of GD, ignoring the peaks.

However, the most representative thing of Dirac's abnormal behavior is a measurement of GD with and without it.
If the raw response (of subs) has low GD and with Dirac this goes up a lot, this is the thing to report to technical support.

Davide

Which ones are compatible with macOS?
There are Dirac, Focus Fidelity and Rew that work natively.
Audiolense and Acourate, but also Rephase and MSO are Win based, but filters can be exported to Mac.
Except Dirac however you have to use a convolver, and actually for Mac there are HLC, MCFX and SPARTA.

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
There are Dirac
I have Dirac (in the drawer and I haven't used it yet), given all the problems I read I'm trying to understand if it makes sense to use it or not.
My future, hopefully not too distant, is called GLM by Genelec.

Davide

Bernt (Audiolense) to me is one of the most expert in DRC.
Here he suggests that a MIMO correction over a large area can lead to a worsening in excess phase problems. Not clear to me if in terms of GD value or magnitude.
DLBC, from what I understand, should adopt MIMO technology on subs only (while ART also uses other speakers).
So maybe the point is here, who knows...
Anyway, what Bernt writes in that thread about VBA/DBA/MIMO is very interesting. I suggest reading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom