• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio core 59's with a single quad core sub.?

Jaxjax

I have had the 59's for several years, I think going on 4. I have them set up to my liking & have ran Dirac live with them but prefer to just use my Elysia EQ with em. My question is I'm thinking to get the core quad sub & put it between the 2- 59's w/ the sub drivers firing sideways. These core quad subs are 4k & really if there is nothing to gain I'll probably just pass as the 59's amaze me every time I listen & stopped my rolling thru actives. But if there is a small % of more happiness possible with a sub at 20-80hz I'll order one up as there on 3 year promo for a few more days. My listening distance is 9'. & non treated room.
Thanks Joe
PXL_20231226_190626457.MP.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
on spec the core 59 looks like it will goes down to around 30-35hz in room before it clips, which I bet in most cases, unless you are after chest shaking bass, likely you won't feel much difference. IMO adding multiple subs to fill in the bass cancellation gaps would be the only meaningful use in your case

D

Deleted member 48726

Hi

If you have a couple of in-room measurements from one of your Dirac Live sessions it's quick to assess if you would gain something from a sub or not.

I'm running the Core Sub with a pair of Core 7's. They fill the bottom end in and then some. Pairing a sub with a pair of stereo speakers is always a good move and I've always done it. You will find the cross over is set to 80Hz, which means you can drive the 59's effortlessly whilst the grunt work is done by the sub.

OP
Jaxjax

Jaxjax

I'm running the Core Sub with a pair of Core 7's. They fill the bottom end in and then some. Pairing a sub with a pair of stereo speakers is always a good move and I've always done it. You will find the cross over is set to 80Hz, which means you can drive the 59's effortlessly whilst the grunt work is done by the sub.
Are you using the analog section of the 7's & core sub.? I'm using the xlr analog section of the 59's. I have 2-rca sub out's on my NAD C658 streamer/pre.
I think I'm just going to pick one up I'll just get RCA to xlr cables from sweetwater.. Are you running your core sub in the middle between your core 7's ?

Are you using the analog section of the 7's & core sub.? I'm using the xlr analog section of the 59's. I have 2-rca sub out's on my NAD C658 streamer/pre.
I think I'm just going to pick one up I'll just get RCA to xlr cables from sweetwater.. Are you running your core sub in the middle between your core 7's ?
In the end I decided to do what the recording studios do, just go with AES. I was driving mine from my Mac Mini.

So, I use cheap AES cables ( 110 Ohm ) and go from convertor to AES cable. Then one cable to the Left speaker, then from that to the right speaker then from that to the Sub, it's such a simple way of doing things. Bought a second hand USB to AES convertor.

If I were using normal XLR, then I'd just buy Amazon basics. You're not going to hear a difference between cables. Well, I can't.

Top Bottom