• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am obsessed with my RPI5 running as a streamer for Qobuz and more!!!

OP
D

dlovesmusic

That just means you didn't finish developing your ideal Pi solution ;-) All of those seem easily fixed, but it probably comes down to "easy if you know how" and whether it's something you want to put the time and effort into. For me the "I could fix it if I could be bothered" element makes the imperfections less frustrating than when they're in something I've just bought, especially if it's something expensive.
Agreed. Once you found your solution in your pi system design, all things should fall into play seemlessly and you have way more flexibility than just buying a standalone unit...

I don't use any standalone streamer units.

For me, the RPI5 never needs to be turned off. I vnc in to set in Hqplayer, which room/system it will stream to, each system has its own room convolution settings loaded up automatically when I choose that room. Say I want to play music in my main system, I will just turn on the amp there and turn it off at the end of the session. At the end of the day I want to play music in the bedroom through the night, i will just VNC in my RPI5, switch profile to bedroom in Hqplayer, turn on the amp in the bedroom and turn it off in the morning. All systems are controlled by my iphone jplay iOS upnp app for Qobuz and local digital library streaming. Its pretty painless I would say.

OP
D

dlovesmusic

This just came in today. Didn’t like the gloss black but does come with a giant heatsink and an active cooler!! Definitely not as much of a looker compared to the cpu tower cooler!!!

I will bring this to work with my Hidizs S9 pro plus dongle dac/amp and my Zero:Red iems running hqplayer desktop for dsd256 with Qobuz!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9078.jpeg
    IMG_9078.jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9079.jpeg
    IMG_9079.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
D

dlovesmusic

Update - I might have hit a jackpot on the second RPI5, oc’d to 3200 hz and boot up and stable.

However, running hqp desktop upsampling brought cpu temp to 84c within a couple minutes…
:D

OP
D

dlovesmusic

Swapped back the tower cooler onto the new RPI5, temp stable again, will be returning the canakit case kit.

Second RPI5 is the charm, running stable oc’d at 3100hz!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9084.jpeg
    IMG_9084.jpeg
    598.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
D

dlovesmusic

you might want to try thermal paste, heat transfer will significantly better!
Yes, except some of these rpi cases are not meant for thermal paste - ie the heatsink are stick on rather than mounted so it won’t stick there …

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, except some of these rpi cases are not meant for thermal paste - ie the heatsink are stick on rather than mounted so it won’t stick there …

You can work around that's depending on what tools you have available.

I use this case with a pi4 as a dns server. it supplies a thin strip of copper that you can use with thermal paste instead of the pads. You can do the same thing yourself, all you need is a tiny strip of copper that is close to the right thickness, and then you can lap it to the correct thickness on sandpaper.

OP
D

dlovesmusic

You can work around that's depending on what tools you have available.

I use this case with a pi4 as a dns server. it supplies a thin strip of copper that you can use with thermal paste instead of the pads. You can do the same thing yourself, all you need is a tiny strip of copper that is close to the right thickness, and then you can lap it to the correct thickness on sandpaper.

Thanks. That’s indeed a great idea

OP
D

dlovesmusic

Refunded the black plastic case, pretty painless that Amazon sent a man to come pick up the return…

https://a.co/d/gneDrNB

This is likely not going to get approval from audiophiles for the appeal but its reasonably priced with dual fan 1 active and 1 not active!!!

OP
D

dlovesmusic

How cute is that!! And the fitment was perfect and practical with dual fan!!!

Will take this to work !!!!

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_9088.jpeg
    IMG_9088.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9085.jpeg
    IMG_9085.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom