• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

O-Noorus D3 [TPA3255 Stereo DAC/Amplifier] - User Impressions | Owner's Thread

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear FMs,

I am intending to capture User Impressions & Observations for O-Noorus D3 here in this thread, also hope that others can do the same here.
Here, I mean to summarize:
> what I get as a buyer or user of O-Noorus D3 amplifier
> aspects other than measurements that you might be interested in
> testing features & functions to see if there are any issues and how could get around those, if any
> I also hope that this thread could provide some information as to "what to expect" while you are buying this amplifier

There is another thread which I started on discussing this product before getting it, it has more detailed information on product specifications and more:

Here is quick snapshot of this amplifier:
> It's a stereo amplifier with built-in DAC

1715209905347.png

> TPA3255 based topology
> Front panel large display and volume pot with volume control/on/off operation
> Input: USB C, SPDIF, Coaxial, Aux In, Bluetooth (5.2)
> Sub-out - Volume Control also controls sub-out volume, and it seems to be full bandwidth but I manufacturer confirmed me that they are going to implement 80Hz fixed low pass in future batches
> Accessories: Remote, USB C to A cable, Bluetooth antenna and user manual
> PSU: It is available with a bundled 36v 5a PSU, but I have used a 48v 5a PSU during my testing without any issues
*** It's available with or with-out power supply
> OPAamps gets dual power supply utilization (+- 12v)

1715211008721.png

> Case Color: RED & BLUE are available - I have D1 in RED and D3 in Blue, and both look very nice, shinier than others with Hi RES sticker on top
Note: no xlr/trs balanced inputs

> Some Internal pics: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...94-vol-control-with-remote.48247/post-1747761

Price & Availability
> Price seems to be very reasonable, to me, for this amplifier
AliExpress US: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806083735005.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt
O-Noorus portal: https://www.o-noorus.com/products/tpa3255-power-amplifier-300wx2

Look & Feel:
> Its quite compact profile, more or less similar to size of Topping E50 DAC
> I got BLUE but RED color is also available
> Feels a decent case, looks very nice with shiny finish
> Looks cute under my TV. Low profile makes things really easy for placement however speaker cable termination requires some considerations
> Metallic heatsink is pasted onto TPA3255 chip which then also couples it to the chassis bottom, then the whole chassis operates as cooling solution
> Chassis also has ventilation on sides and bottom

index.php

index.php

index.php

image_2024-05-08_183822223.png

Back Panel:
1715207962404.png

Power Supply & Remote
> It comes with 36v 5a power supply
> 48 - 50v power supply can be used as well, as filter capacitors used are 63v

Power Supply.JPG

> Remote provided is rather simple, plastic made
> It does work fine, however personally I feel that they should upgrade and find a better remote
> I have already provided feedback to manufacturer, hope they act

O-Noorus D3 in operation, navigation check
> AliExpress and O-Noorus website has loads of pics and details, but I have found some discrepancies. This might be because of updated firmware or something which I will try to confirm.
> Volume control number range goes from 1 - 80, as oppose to 1 - 60 shown on AliExpress
> Input is only displayed by the input icon at the top, it does not show input as text as shown on AliExpress
> Treble & Bass range shown is correct
> Color options goes up to 20 in my unit, as oppose to 7 as shown on AliExpress.

AliExpress vs My_Unit.jpg

Idle Power Consumption: Powered ON but no audio playing
> Around 10watts
> Even, It keeps around 10watts if played arrox. up to 70-72 db SPL
1715207814581.png

Amplifier Case Temperature
> I played it a bit loud for my likings, around 80-85 db and the case remained warm and I didn't think it could be an issue
Note: I used 48v 5a power supply all the time

My Setup, Connectivity and Pairing devices:
PC & nVidia Shield Pro (source) >>>> Topping E50 >>>>RCA out>>>> O-Noorus D3 >>>> ELAC DBR62 Speakers
PC >>>> USB >>>> O-Noorus D3 >>>> ELAC DBR62 Speakers

IMG_1939.JPG

Sub-Out
> I tested with my ELAC powered sub, it worked fine without any issues
> Amplifier volume control also controls the sub-out

O-Noorus D3 USB Connectivity

PC >>>> USB >>>> O-Noorus D3 >>>> ELAC DBR62 Speakers

> I used generic USB C to USB A cable for connectivity, worked fine
> Windows 11 detected USB connection instantly, no drivers needed
> 32bit 384Kbps max supported, worked very well without any issues
> Windows recognized it has "Headphones"

D3 Device Type.jpg

D3 USB DAC.jpg

Hiss Sound on idle or no music
> Very very faint hiss on putting ears on tweeter with USB input, won't notice it if you are just 15 cm away and so I would call it not an issue
> No hiss on SPDIF and Aux Inputs, I did not test Coax or Bluetooth inputs

O-Noorus D3 Power ON/OFF Pop Sound
> Yes, there is very faint pop sound most of the times when it is powered ON. However, it is very faint (other amps like Fosi v3 mono had stronger Pop sound)
> I personally don't think this low faint pop may cause any harm to speakers

Illusional and Delusional Stuff - How I feel about O-Noorus D3 after listening for about a week

Note:
you might want to ignore this part as its purely based on my setup, in-room response and my likings.

There was no hiss or noise on full volume on my Elac DBR62 speakers, amplifier was silent and clean except super mild and faint hiss on USB input as I mentioned above.
Sound wise, I found it like SMSL SBC type signature which makes it very likable on low volume, specially with casual TV watching and background music while working.
I found it quite similar to Fosi ZA3's performance in my setup.

Take a look at the following quick freq. sweep captured with mic placed near (less than a feet) to left speaker, and tell me what can you make out of it.
Pls note that this is in-room response in my setup, it has EQ based that I created for room correction for my Topping PA7 amplifier applied and then used in-place for all amplifiers testing.
Purpose is to see the difference only, just for some indicators.
O-Noorus D3 is Blue

index.php

Your assessment of the above graph is welcome!

Some considerations and notes:
> Speaker binding post is small, just like other similar amplifiers, and so its more suitable & safe for banana plugs than bare wire or spades
> Remote provided with the package works, but I would personally try to see if a can find a universal remote that works with it
> A faint pop noise is there when amplifier is powered ON, however its very faint to cause any issues to speaker IMO
> I had Topping E50 next to it, and when I used E50's remote to change anything it also showed option moving on O-Noorus D3. It did not change any settings or anything, did not cause any issues but I observed this. To verify, I tried using E50's remote directly on the amplifier and it did not do anything other than browsing menu.

Overall, it is compact good looking amplifier with DAC, and it has more to like if you like other TPA3255 amplifiers in general.
It is RCA input only, no balanced inputs but I personally didn't find it an issue specially on this price.
It performed really good in my setup, can not say anything for long term reliability to be honest but it feels well built except the remote which works but I wish if they could do better.

Last edited:
OP
Guddu

Guddu

I read a few other posts earlier related to this amplifier's feedback, linking those here:

User feedback, shared by @TonyJZX

User Manual, shared by @TonyJZX

@Draki mentioned that he found his unit running quite warm, any more feedback?

Magnum

Does it remember settings from standby to ON, if not what is the default volume and input?

How about from no power to on?

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Does it remember settings from standby to ON, if not what is the default volume and input?

How about from no power to on?
It does remember last settings on restart.

Prana Ferox

Apparently whoever came up with the branding found the task of validating their creation against negative English connotations to be too onerous.

Mkchan40

Hello, new here. Just wondering can I use 2 of those adjustable DC power supply (30V-10A) in parallel to use with the D3 ? That will give 30V-20A around 600W, can the D3 take that ?

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Hello, new here. Just wondering can I use 2 of those adjustable DC power supply (30V-10A) in parallel to use with the D3 ? That will give 30V-20A around 600W, can the D3 take that ?
What are you looking to use it with which might need 20A?
500-600w isn’t realistic for these amps anyway.

gasolin75

My pa-316 just arrived

Long press volume to turn it on,off short input selection (no aut bt) no pop sound turning it on,off

Loose volume knob, like a steering wheel that only make the car turn after half an inch (hate it)

Tone controls off neutral sound, clean sound even at max volume, above 12 o'clock if you want it loud (volume better on a Fosi audio bt 20a), the difference on the volume from 12 o'clock to max is to big or not big enough how you interprest it (medium to loud from 12 to 2 o'clock) + a good bass

Gets varm playing loud (not alarming), a Fosi Audi bt20a don't get warm 24v 6.75 psu instead of 24volt 4.5 a as some amps has

Usb works but no driver to change samplerate and to se what samplerate is used

Last edited:
OP
Guddu

Guddu

My pa-316 just arrived

Long press volume to turn it on,off short input selection (no aut bt) no pop sound turning it on,off

Loose volume knob, like a steering wheel that only make the car turn after half an inch (hate it)

Tone controls off neutral sound, clean sound even at max volume, above 12 o'clock if you want it loud (volume better on a Fosi audio bt 20a), the difference on the volume from 12 o'clock to max is to big or not big enough how you interprest it (medium to loud from 12 to 2 o'clock) + a good bass

Gets varm playing loud (not alarming), a Fosi Audi bt20a don't get warm 24v 6.75 psu instead of 24volt 4.5 a as some amps has

Usb works but no driver to change samplerate and to se what samplerate is used

O-Noorus PA-316 has balanced topology with TPA3116.

However, TPA3255 is supposed to be balanced by design but both of their TPA3255 implementations - D1 & D3 are done unbalanced/single-ended!

By the way, OA70 looks interesting to me in this aspect.

Mkchan40

What are you looking to use it with which might need 20A?
500-600w isn’t realistic for these amps anyway.
Just need to know can the D1 or D3 be cable to take in 30V-20A of power, I have a couple of those power supply kicking around. I might use D1 for some big tower speakers.

gwing

Forum Donor
Just need to know can the D1 or D3 be cable to take in 30V-20A of power, I have a couple of those power supply kicking around. I might use D1 for some big tower speakers.
You can of course use a 20A or a 200A supply with the amplifier but it is only going to draw as much current as your speakers impedance requires for your signal. If you use speakers of lower impedance than a manufacturers specification drawing more power than the specification allows you can expect bad things to happen. If you are lucky you will just trip a protection circuit or blow a fuse :)

gasolin75

O-Noorus PA-316 has balanced topology with TPA3116.

However, TPA3255 is supposed to be balanced by design but both of their TPA3255 implementations - D1 & D3 are done unbalanced/single-ended!

By the way, OA70 looks interesting to me in this aspect.

They just don't have to much power

gasolin75

it is only going to draw as much current as your speakers impedance requires for your signal.
Therefor i think the voltage is more important than the ampere the power supply has, since the amp use more voltage when you want to play loud than ampere

gasolin75

Update: standard usb driver is loaded and show bit and samplerate but only 16 bit and 48khz i possible to use

I used usb a to usb c, standard cable was,is long enough (but could be 1-2 feet longer)

Last edited:

gwing

Forum Donor
Therefor i think the voltage is more important than the ampere the power supply has, since the amp use more voltage when you want to play loud than ampere
It's neither one nor the other really, they work together.

Understand that the amplifier just amplifies the signal voltage and puts that output voltage across the speakers, and the maximum amplified voltage will be the voltage of the power supply so yes that power supply voltage will limit your output.

However the higher the output voltage the more amps will flow through the speakers and the power supply has to be able to supply those amps as well. So they work together in balance, if you have a high voltage supply but can't use it because you can't supply the amps or you have a high current supply that won't ever draw that current because you can't drive it with enough volts then you are out of balance for your system an essentially wasting money on power supply capacity you can't use.

Mkchan40

It's neither one nor the other really, they work together.

Understand that the amplifier just amplifies the signal voltage and puts that output voltage across the speakers, and the maximum amplified voltage will be the voltage of the power supply so yes that power supply voltage will limit your output.

However the higher the output voltage the more amps will flow through the speakers and the power supply has to be able to supply those amps as well. So they work together in balance, if you have a high voltage supply but can't use it because you can't supply the amps or you have a high current supply that won't ever draw that current because you can't drive it with enough volts then you are out of balance for your system an essentially wasting money on power supply capacity you can't use.
Thanks, good to know.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i seem to recall i did not load any drivers for mine

but my PC is a real mess... obviously i've had ever dac under the sun hooked up to this from fosi to smsl to topping etc. so all the drivers are in there

it just worked 32/384 out of the box

i had very little issue with the digital stage - i just prefered the M300 and my class a/b big boy Jungson 88D

Top Bottom