• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo HA-1 XLR Balanced Audio Out for Neuman KH 80

Caprichoso

My Paradigm Millenium One CT 2.1 control unit has died and so the speakers no longer work. Very annoying to have to replace speakers due to an electronics failure.

I am looking for replacement desktop speakers which would give me similar performance. I was looking at the Neumann KH 80 DSP speakers but couldn't quite figure out how I would connect them to my Mac Studio. Currently I go from a USC-C port to a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC to the input port on the Paradigm control unit via a mini RCA jack. I was looking at the Neuman KH80 lineup but couldn't figure out how to connect them given I have the single RCA mini jack for the connection.

Then I remembered I have an Oppo HA-1 which has blanced pre-amplifier outputs XLR's for both the left and right channels. Would it drive the Neumans?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Caprichoso! Welcome to ASR.

You're probably confusing some model names:
Screenshot_20240508-121429_Chrome.png

Ellebob

Forum Donor
You can use the speakers. You can cut the wires, strip them and connect them to an amp. I would highly suggest you use them with a subwoofer. They are very good speakers but don't have much for bass by themselves.

I don't think there's any way to salvage the sub though. A small sub and an amp is what you would need. You can connect directly to it with your Mac, or use your Oppo.

Also, have you tried calling Paradigm? They might be able to service or replace it.

OP
C

Caprichoso

Thanks for your responses.

1. Since the speakers are self powered isn't an amp redundant? Since the Oppo has XLR R-L balanced pre-amplifier outputs can I just use those?

2. Is there a way to add a powered subwoofer into this setup? I would really prefer keep this setup as simple as possible as my GoldenEar 5.4.1 system is my primary listening enviroment.

3. With the KH 120 having lower rated bass response (44 vs 53 +-6 db) would that elimate the need for a subwoofer?

4. The KH 120 has a AES67 Audio-over-IP Interface option. Would that eliminate the need for cabling to an amp or the Oppo?

Last edited:
OP
C

Caprichoso

Thanks for your responses.

1. Since the speaker system is self powered isn't an amp redundant? Since the Oppo has XLR R-L balanced pre-amplifier outputs can I just use those?

2. Is there a way to add a powered subwoofer into this setup? I would really prefer keep this setup as simple as possible as my GoldenEar 5.4.1 system is my primary listening enviroment.

3. With the KH 120 having lower rated bass response (44 vs 53 +-6 db) would that elimate the need for a subwoofer?

4. The KH 120 has a AES67 Audio-over-IP Interface option. Would that eliminate the need for cabling to an amp or the Oppo?

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
1. The paradigm speakers are not powered. The amp was in the sub

2. Yes. A number of ways depending on setup

3. They still won't play him full range but they would be acceptable to many

4.no

OP
C

Caprichoso

Thanks.

1. Reworded to "the speaker system is self powered".

2. There is no need for an amp with the KH 120 II, it will run from the Oppo XLR R-L balanced pre-amplifier outputs?

3. "Yes. A number of ways depending on setup". Can you elaborate? Is there a way to setup using just the Oppo as the source? I'd like to avoid running a separate amplifier if possible.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
1. Yes the kh120 is self powered. Each speaker has its own power cord.

2. Yes it will run from the Oppo

3. You can use the Oppo as the source and that should be the better sounding option. USB to Oppo from your Mac. Then XLR cables from Oppo to each speaker.

Alternate option, which doesn't use the Oppo, so one less component cluttering desk.
Mac audio output to each speaker using a 3.5mm to XLR cable.

OP
C

Caprichoso

Thanks for the helpful answers.

I have settled on the KH 120 rather than the KH 80. I am trying to understand what cables I need. The Oppo requires a male XLR connector and for some reason the KH 120 XLR analogue connection also requires a male XLR connector rather than the normal female. XLR male to male cables seem to be almost non-existent.

I was looking at the Mogami GOLD TRS-XLRM

which has 1 male XLR and the other is described as as 1/4" TRS. I'm not sure I know what "TRS" is vs a standard RCA jack.

The KH 120 manual says:

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 20.32.27.png

So the KH 120 manual talks about adapters jack-XLR and RCA-XLR.

1. What is the difference between a "jack-XLR" vs "RCA-XLR"?
2. If I got the Mogami GOLD TRS-XLRM with its 1/4" TRS connector due to the the absense of XLR male to XLR male cables what adapter would I need?
3. The 1/4" TRS connector is evidently balanced. That would mean that any adapter I purchased would have to be balanced? Or since they recommend using a balanced XRL connector using an adapter means I would give that up?
3. Assuming I need an adapter any recommendations about good ones?

Addendum: did find some XLR male-male cables but they are listed as microphone cables. The Mogami website has separate sections for microphone and speaker cables so I assume they are not interchangeable?

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
You need standard male to female connection XLR. Get the length you need.

Mogami Gold STUDIO-06 XLR Microphone Cable, XLR-Female to XLR-Male, 3-Pin, Gold Contacts, Straight Connectors, 6 Foot https://a.co/d/aDSoEyu

OP
C

Caprichoso

Addendum: have found a few XLR male-male cables but they are listed as micr
You need standard male to female connection XLR. Get the length you need.

Thanks, but a male to female XLR cable won't work. Both XLR ports, on the speaker and Oppo, require XLR male connectors. Need male connectors on both ends of the cable.

OP
C

Caprichoso

Addendum: have found a few XLR male-male cables but they are listed as micr

Thanks, but a male to female XLR cable won't work. Both XLR ports, on the speaker and Oppo, require XLR male connectors. Need male connectors on both ends of the cable.

OP
C

Caprichoso

Correction. Turns out that the HA-1 diagram doesn't show that it is a female connector. So a standard XLR Male/Female cable will work.

Top Bottom