• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Preamp - thoughts

OP
T

tonapo

Well, you wrote: I would be using with two sources, Cambridge Audio CD player and a Holo Cyan 2 DAC. Do you feed the DAC from the CXC (source 1) and your PC (source 2) and then connect the DAC to the Pre90?
Yes, my main source, or the one used most regularly is the raspberry pi 4 streamer, with ropieee into the DAC via USB. The second source is the CD player, into the DAC via optical. The DAC then goes into the pre-amp via xlr.

OP
T

tonapo

Alternately, if you are happy with the Topping but merely want an enclosure that better matches your existing components how about gutting the Topping and doing some DIY (or hire it out) and put the guts in a new box or extend the faceplate? Add some VU meters!:p
Sorry, forgot to reply to this, I am not sure I have the skills!

roog

Forum Donor
Go for a preamp with builtin room EQ. Despite measuring worse the resulting sound quality with room EQ will be better.

I agree, this is a great idea, and one that i follow in so far as I have a digital only system where the PEQ is built into the (RME) DAC, its just that there aren't that many pre amps which include EQ about.

< I am pleased to see that the Eversolo DMP-A8 includes a nice looking graphic PEQ function >

Top Bottom