• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Same price Fosi DX5 Lite & E70 , which is better buy for my laptop & MonoBlocks V3 setup?

GoDawgs

I'm attempting to put together a small system using my laptop as my source (for hi-res audio and Qobuz); Preamp search = DX5 Lite or E70; 2 each Fosi V3 Monoblocks; JBL Stage A130 speakers, and a powered subwoofer (probably an ELAC SUB1010; 120W, 10" woofer).

I already own the IFI Zen headphone amp/DAC but as I so often do, I read the reviews on ASR for products I already own and realize my choice was probably not the best. I bought the Ananda Nano Headphone and IFI Zen DAC/amp just before discovering this forum. :facepalm: I hope my only remaining purchases (Subwoofer and preamp), will not cause the gut wrenching belief that I just spent good money on not so good audio gear.

The V3 Monoblocks per Armim's review will sound best using XLR input vs the RCA plugs, so that is why I've narrowed it down to these two FOSI preamps with XLR output (for the amps) and RCA output (for the subwoofer). I do not plan use this setup for Bluetooth, I already own a FIIO BTR5 headphone amp with LDAC, an Android tablet with LDAC, and a pair of LDAC Bluetooth speakers so I'm covered there.

Is there a better choice that a blockhead like me may not pick up on when deciding between the DX5 Lite & E70? I already have full MQA unfolding with the IFI Zen and I don't even use it, I EQ myself. I do want a 120VAC power supply and XLR and RCA out (both the DX5 Lite and E70 have these), and they both cost the same $350.00 and I do not know which to buy.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a better choice that a blockhead like me may not pick up on when deciding between the DX5 Lite & E70?
Take a look at the SMSL D-6, D-6S, DO100, or DO100 Pro.

For your purpose, the can do everything that the DX5 and E70 can do, but are usually a good chunk less expensive.

OP
GoDawgs

GoDawgs

After studying both of the reviews by Armim and the subsequent posts, I believe the Topping E70 will be ordered soon. I just want to head off that stray post that always seems to throw shade on my choice after I make my purchase. I hate second guessing myself after every audio gear purchase, and then if I see an "oh crap" issue with any gear I own I just feel sick. If you know the E70 has any known "oh crap" issues please notify me now, not after I make a purchase (just lock me out of any posts that will make me regret it after I buy one ;)). I want to sleep good for a while (or at least until I get ready to choose and purchase my subwoofer).

OP
GoDawgs

GoDawgs

Take a look at the SMSL D-6, D-6S, DO100, or DO100 Pro.

For your purpose, the can do everything that the DX5 and E70 can do, but are usually a good chunk less expensive.
Thanks, I look and look for these obvious alternatives and I miss things like this all of the time. I will research these, $350 is a lot to sink (for me), on my 4th DAC in 6 months (okay 2 were portables). I will take a gander and maybe save some $, thank you once again.

Top Bottom