• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 74 46.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 62 38.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 16 9.9%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is true. I've owned both of these headphones for quite some time, and I can confirm that they don't produce deep, deep bass. After EQing them to Harman, they seem a little more bassy to me than the HD650, but not enough to call it significant. Considering the current price of them, I said no and returned them.

Among the open headphone models, so far, I haven’t found one that suits me in terms of price/bass response ratio.
I'm waiting for the release of Fostex TH808. I hope for prompt publication of their measurements and listening impressions. Maybe later I’ll make a decision to buy.
(HD560s does very good bass after EQ, subjectively equal to my planar HE4XX also after it's been EQ'd to Harman).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm no expert here, but given the eq treatment, all headphone should sound virtually similar no? I don't own the HD650 myself but heard them from a friend of mine. They were fantastic without eq. I think there were some sub-bass insufficient but most accurate sounding headphones I've heard. With EQ. I'm sure it would be untouchable for price/performance despite the increase in distortion in the sub regions.
For some reason some headphones just don't do bass particularly well even after substantial EQ, and even at levels where you'd expect measured distortion to be acceptable. To name a few examples of open headphones that don't do bass particularly well after EQ in my own subjective experience: HD600 / HD800 / (K702 maybe included but does bit better than previous two re bass). Open headphones that do bass well after EQ in my own experience: HD560s / HE4XX. And of course re closed backs & IEMs then NAD HP50 and Truthear Zero Blue do some seriously good bass both before & after EQ.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Correct if such eq treatments are based on measurements (or at least subjective perception) with your own ear-head-torso.

When physically different headphones are equalized to same sound profile (FR) on a certain head(-simulator), they may sound/measure very different on other heads(-simulators), even more different than they were without equalization.

So don't use any EQ preset on internet unless you are the dummy head which those presets are made from/for.

In most cases, certainly when one can get a good seal, and with wildly varying frequency response headphones, one can get a definite improvement in tonality.
Of course.... adjust to taste and look at other measurements (different fixtures) as well to get an idea of what you may need to adjust a little.
Getting 'close enough' is usually good enough already and some tweaking to personal taste may make them more enjoyable.

IMO the headphones that need the least amount of corrections, in general, have the best results. That said, some may not measure as well but still can sound very pleasing.

Top Bottom