• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser Momentum 4 - wired connections?

Ste_S

Does anyone know how the wired connections on the Sennheiser Momentum 4 work? You can connect digitally via USB-C, or via an analogue headphone cable.

I wondered if the USB-C connection allows for higher bit rates than via bluetooth, and if the analogue connection bypasses any ADC/DAC process?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone know how the wired connections on the Sennheiser Momentum 4 work? You can connect digitally via USB-C, or via an analogue headphone cable.

I wondered if the USB-C connection allows for higher bit rates than via bluetooth, and if the analogue connection bypasses any ADC/DAC process?

I see a USB charging connector but no analog headphone input on mine.

staticV3

Master Contributor
wondered if the USB-C connection allows for higher bit rates than via bluetooth
It does.

and if the analogue connection bypasses any ADC/DAC process?
Most likely only if you manually turn off the headphone.

If it's turned on, then the analog input is very likely being digitized and EQed, before being sent to the drivers.

If you're curious, a simple multimeter can be used to check that.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor

Plugged a USB c cable into my phone (Galaxy S23 Ultra) and into the USB connection on the Momentum 4. Using UPnP with bit perfect turned on, playing a ripped CD from my server it shows:

USB DAC: 44.1khz File: 44.1khz 16 bit.

Tried playing one from Qobuz that I know is 96khz, it gives an error message "Can't resample in bit perfect mode".

Tried another from Qobuz that is 44.1khz 24 bit, it is playing correctly.

It sounds fine.

Turned off bit perfect mode and the 96khz album shows:

USB DAC: 48khz File: 96khz 24 bit.

Plugged the Momentum 4 into my DAP (Hiby R6 3).

Tried playing the 96khz album with UPnP and also with Qobuz.

Both show USB DAC: 48khz.

The DAP can play much higher sample rates, so this is probably a limitation of the Momentum 4, since the USB output of the DAP and phone would be using the DAC in the M4.

Connected the DAP and M4 with Bluetooth. It says the M4 Bluetooth is using aptX HD.

Qobuz says it is playing the 96khz album in 96khz. I don't know if that can be trusted.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Looked it up and there is a 2.5mm analog input. I don't have anything with 2.5mm connectors to test with.

This has me curious. Just ordered a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor to try it with. Should be delivered Monday.

The Momentum 4 sounds great with bluetooth so I doubt if the analog connection will really sound any better.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Looked it up and there is a 2.5mm analog input. I don't have anything with 2.5mm connectors to test with.
Strange. A 3.5->2.5 cable should've been included in the box:
Screenshot_20240505-030959_Chrome.png

This has me curious. Just ordered a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor to try it with. Should be delivered Monday.
Please note that there are all kinds of possible 2.5mm pinouts a for single-ended Stereo signal, so whatever cable you bought may not work correctly with the Momentum 4.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Strange. A 3.5->2.5 cable should've been included in the box:
View attachment 367635

Please note that there are all kinds of possible 2.5mm pinouts a for single-ended Stereo signal, so whatever cable you bought may not work correctly with the Momentum 4.

It may have been and I stored it somewhere thinking I would never need it.

OP
S

Ste_S

Plugged a USB c cable into my phone (Galaxy S23 Ultra) and into the USB connection on the Momentum 4. Using UPnP with bit perfect turned on, playing a ripped CD from my server it shows:

USB DAC: 44.1khz File: 44.1khz 16 bit.

Tried playing one from Qobuz that I know is 96khz, it gives an error message "Can't resample in bit perfect mode".

Tried another from Qobuz that is 44.1khz 24 bit, it is playing correctly.

It sounds fine.

Turned off bit perfect mode and the 96khz album shows:

USB DAC: 48khz File: 96khz 24 bit.

Plugged the Momentum 4 into my DAP (Hiby R6 3).

Tried playing the 96khz album with UPnP and also with Qobuz.

Both show USB DAC: 48khz.

The DAP can play much higher sample rates, so this is probably a limitation of the Momentum 4, since the USB output of the DAP and phone would be using the DAC in the M4.

Connected the DAP and M4 with Bluetooth. It says the M4 Bluetooth is using aptX HD.

Qobuz says it is playing the 96khz album in 96khz. I don't know if that can be trusted.

Thanks for doing all that testing. If I’m being honest, I can’t really tell the difference between 320kb/s lossy and hi(gher) res lossless. However, I might as well use the wired USB-C when listening on my laptop or desktop, rather than via Bluetooth, if it’s giving 44/48khz lossless.

Top Bottom