• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smart Plugs

xray

I started out with Belkin WeMo smart switches and plugs. Eventually ended up with about 20 of them. Setup with the app was hit and miss and very frustrating at times. Half of them need to be reset every now and then from scratch to get them working again. Support from Belkin was terrible. Three have had hardware failures and died. Not recommended.

I replaced the dead WeMo devices with Kasa and have added a few new smart switch locations as well. They are less than half the price and much more reliable. Setup is a breeze. Highly recommend. They are frequently on sale so I've yet to purchased one at MSRP.

Both WeMo and Kasa integrate with Google Assistant. I use The Home Remote on my Windows machines. I also have my Harmony Hub working on both GA and Home Remote. I can control all lights, stereo, Android TVs, home theater, espresso machine, space heaters, etc. from any device and by voice commands anywhere in the house.

MCH

Major Contributor
If you can solder and feel confident messing with mains voltage, you can go the DIY route with a relay and an ESP32. You can make your own web server to your liking and access via your web browser from any device. There are plenty of instructables online and isn't difficult.

This is how mine looks, I am sure it can be done prettier :)
Screenshot_20240423-071631.png

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your suggestions chaps.

I've actually managed to get something working - but what a palaver!

View attachment 365272

1. Install the Meross smart plug Android app, and add all my details and enter the e-mail verification code.

2. Install a Samsung account app, once again giving it a whole bunch of details and enter the e-mail verification code.

3. Install the Samsung SmartThings app my Android phone.

4. Link the SmartThings Android app, to the Meross Android app.

5. Install the SmartThings app on my PC.

6. Lose the will to live - typing in a whole bunch of nice secure 16 character randomly generated passwords containing upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers on my phone's tiny touch screen is not fun. :facepalm:

Now I've got the smart plug working, I've just got to modify my coffee machine and replace the existing "auto off" switch with an "on-off" switch - should be a piece of cake.
It might be simpler to get another girlfriend to do it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All these complicated ways to turn on/off a coffee maker. :facepalm:

Just get a few 433MHz plug switches and a remote. These (AU plugs here) are awesome and cheap. I have them for the router/network hardware to save crawling behind and under stuff to shutdown when storms come.

1713849547195.png

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just get a few 433MHz plug switches and a remote. These (AU plugs here) are awesome and cheap. I have them for the router/network hardware to save crawling behind and under stuff to shutdown when storms come.
I use such too as I don't like app controlled automation which won't work after some years but the OP wants to switch it on from a different floor and room where they usually don't work.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I use such too as I don't like app controlled automation which won't work after some years but the OP wants to switch it on from a different floor and room where they usually don't work.

The ones I have and installed for my father (90yo) at his house, work from upstairs to downstairs, through a normal timber construction house. He can shut off all 4 power points in his HiFi room without having to bend down and reach behind/under racks/cabinets etc.

The only time they don't work is after a prolonged power cut where they 'lose' their code ID for the TX. Only takes a second to re-code them.

Geert

Major Contributor
I have a TP-Link plug. On my Android tablet I use the Kasa app, but I also have it linked to Google Assistant so I can use voice control. Linking to Google Assistant was very easy.

To control it from my PC I have written a Python script using the python-kasa library. This library also provides shell commands. It controls the plug via a direct network connection, not via the TP-Link cloud.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ones I have and installed for my father (90yo) at his house, work from upstairs to downstairs, through a normal timber construction house.
Guess timber is the big differentiating factor, in most homes which are brick/concrete based here it doesn't work so well.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

View attachment 365405

Had I known such a thing existed, I would have gone that route. :facepalm:

Now I have it up and running, I'll see how I get on with the Wi-Fi sockets, but I will know what to look for if they are problematic. :)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 365405
A company named BN-LINK seems to have the exact same setup for US outlets (and a wide variety of single-triple indoor & outdoor setups with & without timers or photo cell sensors or possibly both.
Thanks, I'm going to order me some. Exactly what I have been looking for.

Top Bottom