• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

holbob

What I find curious is that the WiiM Amp is £319 GBP (uk price, Amazon)

The Ultra, as far as I can tell, adds a screen and a phono stage (perhaps) and removes the power amplification and speaker connections. Unless screens are really expensive I'd expect it to be cheaper than the Amp, or the same.

My price expectation is set by the WiiM Amp.

I think you're probably underestimating what a bargain the wiim amp actually is. The ultra looks like an incredible bargain for the price (£350). Check out the SMSL and Topping prices. Both devices are bargains (amp and ultra).

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think you're probably underestimating what a bargain the wiim amp actually is. The ultra looks like an incredible bargain for the price (£350). Check out the SMSL and Topping prices. Both devices are bargains (amp and ultra).
Completely agree!

gwing

Forum Donor
I would be happy if it was just a pro plus with hdmi output so you can have screen art etc. on a TV. I'd like to have balanced outputs but I can live without those by just running digital output to a DAC with XLRs.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
What I find curious is that the WiiM Amp is £319 GBP (uk price, Amazon)

The Ultra, as far as I can tell, adds a screen and a phono stage (perhaps) and removes the power amplification and speaker connections. Unless screens are really expensive I'd expect it to be cheaper than the Amp, or the same.

My price expectation is set by the WiiM Amp.

There’s no perhaps about it, it has a phono stage, which they’ve confirmed will be mm and mc.

The DAC will be better too, apparently.

Last edited:

rgruber

Both MM and MC? For some reason I thought MM only.

Does anyone know if it's a simple analog phono stage or if they are doing the phono equalization in the digital domain like the Waxwing?

There’s no perhaps about it, it has a photo stage, which they’ve confirmed will be mm and mc.

The DAC will be better too, apparently.

tjf

Ok, my guesses about the Ultra:

U.S / $ Price: $450 to $600

DAC: AKM 4499/4191 flagship (to compete with Eversolo DMP-A8) -- DAC cost comparisons to Wiim Amp DAC won't work here, as Wiim uses the old ESS 9018 DAC in the Amp...

USB Type A port for: USB Input for playback of USB drive content -- AND -- USB audio output to external DAC (yeah, I know - why would you need this...)

PEQ - 10 band w/rudimentary room correction (interested to see if Wiim implements greater than 12db boost/cut AND if they add LPF/HPF to the EQ??)

Miniature 3.5" Touchscreen -- strictly a marketing concession to Eversolo's success, rather than any improved functionality -- could be wrong here....

Then....Get ready for the Ultra Pro....say $600 - $700 U.S. with balanced outputs, better headphone amp built-in, and bigger touchscreen -- a TOTAL admission of going after Eversolo's place in the market!!!!!!

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, my guesses about the Ultra:

U.S / $ Price: $450 to $600

DAC: AKM 4499/4191 flagship (to compete with Eversolo DMP-A8) -- DAC cost comparisons to Wiim Amp DAC won't work here, as Wiim uses the old ESS 9018 DAC in the Amp...

USB Type A port for: USB Input for playback of USB drive content -- AND -- USB audio output to external DAC (yeah, I know - why would you need this...)

PEQ - 10 band w/rudimentary room correction (interested to see if Wiim implements greater than 12db boost/cut AND if they add LPF/HPF to the EQ??)

Miniature 3.5" Touchscreen -- strictly a marketing concession to Eversolo's success, rather than any improved functionality -- could be wrong here....

Then....Get ready for the Ultra Pro....say $600 - $700 U.S. with balanced outputs, better headphone amp built-in, and bigger touchscreen -- a TOTAL admission of going after Eversolo's place in the market!!!!!!
Or wait until Monday for the truth.

Tremolo

AND if they add LPF/HPF to the EQ??)
I was curious too but, like morillon said, if they didn't in the wiim amp I doubt they do it in the Ultra. It is not something that can be done via firmware I guess. You need to route a different filter to each output, the LP to the sub out and the HP to the mains out. It's a pity, the Ultra could have benne a serious contender of the MiniDSP

tjf

I was curious too but, like morillon said, if they didn't in the wiim amp I doubt they do it in the Ultra. It is not something that can be done via firmware I guess. You need to route a different filter to each output, the LP to the sub out and the HP to the mains out. It's a pity, the Ultra could have benne a serious contender of the MiniDSP

Sorry, wasn't clear on my request for the PEQ features, rather than HPF/LPF for the "bass mgmt/subwoofer xover" function, I meant a "global" High Pass/Low Pass" function for the PEQ itself -- not the bass mgmt function, which I assume would be separate from the DSP/PEQ processing, as the mono subwoofer output would need it's own DAC stage in addition to the DACs for the main L/R outputs...

Currently the PEQ that Wiim uses has "Peak" and LS (Low Shelf) and HS (High Shelf) which aren't ideal for mimicking a HPF/LPF filter function in the "Global" PEQ -- especially with the 12db boost/cut limitation...

Top Bottom