• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Forge acquitted itself well, won some coverts for sure and at least one save in google maps that I noticed.

The Weil was the consensus wine of the night, I think. Lauer was also excellent, only slightly outdone by the Weil. BA Dr. Loosen was in a league of its own, just totally different from the others. So, hard to say where it fell - just so stylistically different at this stage.

Overall a really fun combination of wines.

There was talk of doing Paolo Bea next time. I hope that happens soon!

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_6701.jpeg

Always keen to try new grapes - this is made from a variety which is indigenous to Romania. A little like Viognier - if you like aromatic wines it’s super

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
View attachment 367075

Always keen to try new grapes - this is made from a variety which is indigenous to Romania. A little like Viognier - if you like aromatic wines it’s super
LOVE Romanian wines. I’ve been trying to get someone in Finger Lakes to try planting Feteasca Neagra, which I think will do great here.

mjgraves

Recently been drinking Le Cigar Volant 2015 & 2016 from Randall Grahm's Bonny Doon. RG is the original Rhone Ranger in the US. His story is interesting on its own. The tale of this wine is also worth telling.

For decades he made his flagship wine to suit his own desires. He struggled to sell it at $40. In the past, I considered myself lucky to buy it at WTSO.com for $25. In 2018, he changed the blend. Less Mouvedre. Made for a more fruity, approachable wine that sells for half the price. Around $20. I was sad. in fact, he was preparing to sell Bonny Doon, which he did.

Late in 2023 an online wine merchant goes bankrupt. The bankruptcy trustee is ordered to liquidate the inventory. I managed to buy a few cases of the 2015 & 2016 for just $8!

2024-04-26 17.20.40.jpg

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
Recently been drinking Le Cigar Volant 2015 & 2016 from Randall Grahm's Bonny Doon. RG is the original Rhone Ranger in the US. His story is interesting on its own. The tale of this wine is also worth telling.

For decades he made his flagship wine to suit his own desires. He struggling to sell it at $40. In the past, I considered myself lucky to buy it at WTSO.com for $25. In 2018, he changed the blend. Less Mouvedre. Made for a more fruit approachable wine that sells for half the price. Around $20. I was sad.

Late in 2023 an online wine merchant goes bankrupt. The bankruptcy trustee is ordered to liquidate the inventory. I managed to buy a few cases of the 2015 & 2016 for just $8!
View attachment 367565
Great story - enjoy. I think I will be moving onto red later this evening :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

For decades he made his flagship wine to suit his own desires. He struggling to sell it at $40. In the past, I considered myself lucky to buy it at WTSO.com for $25. In 2018, he changed the blend. Less Mouvedre. Made for a more fruit approachable wine that sells for half the price. Around $20. I was sad.

View attachment 367565
You got a bargain! I knew Randall a bit when I lived in CA, interesting guy, fun to talk with. His Old Telegram was a favorite of mine.

mjgraves

You got a bargain! I knew Randall a bit when I lived in CA, interesting guy, fun to talk with. His Old Telegram was a favorite of mine.
For a short time, a friend and I had a wine podcast. He had been in the business. Randall was one of our guests. That's how I discovered his wines.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
For a short time, a friend and I had a wine podcast. He had been in the business. Randall was one of our guests. That's how I discovered his wines.
There were a few, a very few, skilled winemakers in CA doing Rhone varieties. Randall, Bob Lindquist, Steve Edmunds, John McCready come to mind. A lot more highly touted ones making dreadful wines, alas.

Top Bottom