• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Octave Music Don Grusin High Resolution Music Analysis (Video)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Nice review! Let me add corresponding pink buddy to this PS Audio product.

View attachment 191802
I am so amazed that face has the "I can't believe I hear the magic" look. I still think Amir should use it for all of his snake oil and junk ratings. It is the perfect symbol of an airhead, clueless look, but it is done in a non-mean way. A headless Panther just looks like a "broken" rating. This guy needs to be added to Amir's tool box!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Not really, it is just no development to build DSD base console and workstation.
Paul has a video and says that he is having a custom DSD compatible mixer made that will replace the Studer. He likes the Studer a lot but all of his engineers and friends have been telling him that it is not up to current standards, it is just way too old technology. He is spending serious money to try to work around the problem of using DSD and then turning it into a product for sale. He is in effect spending or wasting his kids inheritance in a huge way! He has fantastic ideas of getting money to the musicians, but the implementation is what is hard as he is bucking the entire audio world. He just doesn't have that much money. It would take a Sony, Apple or Google to fund it correctly.

DWI

I also bought the album. It sounds very clean and tonality is nice. But I agree with Amir, it sounds to close miked for a solo recording. Would have been better if it would have been recorded in an acoustically nice sounding room. And that's my problem with audiophile labels, they often have their priorities wrong.
I didn’t buy the Grusin album, sounded like elevator music on the preview, bought another one.

I‘m not sure what an audiophile label is, but there are many magnificent labels that have been set up over the decades to record their own music or do a better job that the major labels for their artists. Chandos, Linn, Coro, Gimell, Alia Vox, ECM, Myrios, there are loads of them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A little mistake around 5:10

"When you get the raw file, even if you have a DSD Dac, don't know how to apply any filter, then when you play it as a digital file, the entire thing get's transmitted to amplifier".

There is a lot of truth to this video, but this isn't. I've look at most DSD Dacs architecture and these considerations are taken into account. Here's an example, from WM8742 datasheet
Have you seen such a filter setting in a stand alone DAC? I have not. All their filter settings apply to PCM only. In addition, there is not one sacd player which filters down to 24 Khz which is what you need here.

Geert

Major Contributor
there are many magnificent labels that have been set up over the decades to record their own music or do a better job that the major labels for their artists. Chandos, Linn, Coro, Gimell, Alia Vox, ECM, Myrios,
Lot's of ECM in my collection. But also a great example of a totally different sound. I'm always surprised when audiophiles use piano music as a reference, nothing that can sounds so different.

nikosidis

Thankfully I have 0 DSD files :D

nikosidis

Lot's of ECM in my collection. But also a great example of a totally different sound. I'm always surprised when audiophiles use piano music as a reference, nothing that can sounds so different.
Agreed. Never heard piano sound anything like the real thing.
Linn records have some great recordings that I have in 16/44
I found some nice artists and songs in my audiofool journey ;)
At least one good thing being audiofool :p

Geert

Major Contributor
He is spending serious money to try to work around the problem of using DSD and then turning it into a product for sale. He is in effect spending or wasting his kids inheritance in a huge way!
He also bought 6 really expensive custom valve spring reverbs. Also not the smartest decision when you're starting up a new studio and you don't have a customer base yet. I guess we underestimate how many Powerplants he sold ;)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
It is usually not productive to engage in serious debate of the details of a theology with its believers. Amir is doing it right. State your case, be concise, present the evidence, and move on.
That is generally true. But, Amir did what I tend to do. He flew over the DSD crowd of true believers and dropped a nuclear bomb with his video. It totally destroyed the entire case for DSD. It basically said and I'm paraphrasing the entire video, Why bother? It is nothing special at all and in fact is a giant waste of money and effort. It is not the way to make more friends but every once in awhile it just feels good to drop a nuke now and then.

nikosidis

He also bought 6 really expensive custom valve spring reverbs. Also not the smartest decision when you're starting up a new studio and you don't have a customer base yet. I guess we underestimate how many Powerplants he sold ;)
From a video from the BS audio factory on youtube I think they sold that day for 100000$
Money is not an issue for BS audio. At least not yet ;)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Have you seen such a filter setting in a stand alone DAC? I have not. All their filter settings apply to PCM only. In addition, there is not one sacd player which filters down to 24 Khz which is what you need here.
To your first question, only measurments post decoding will give us the answer for sure but I can assure you that the vast majority of the engineers designing DACs do comply to the reference designs and Datasheet recommendation, and the Chip manufacturers have thought of that. You can also google the Datasheet I've posted, so you can have a look at the filter's response, You can then judge if they are appropriate or not. I can also tell you that most "settings" are transparent to the user and not user decided. Those digital filters would be automatically selected and automatically switched. The analog filter would be obviously fixed and yeah probably with a higher cutoff than 24 kHz. For you second statement, ok, maybe. we need to define "need", but that's not what was said. I am not criticizing the whole video, but I think that more than anywhere else, facts matters, even smaller ones because a big part of this site is to request from manufacturers to stick to what is measurable and factual, so in this regard it's important.

Geert

Major Contributor
From a video in the PS audio factory on youtube I think they sold that day for 100000$
:eek:

And on their Facebook page Paul confirmed they don't have paying customers for the studio. The costs need to be covered by album sales. That explains the price of the albums.

nikosidis

:eek:

And on their Facebook page Paul confirmed they don't have paying customers for the studio. The costs need to be covered by album sales. That explains the price of the albums.
This sales number is from everything. Must be mostly from equipment.
I'm in no doubt, Paul believe in DSD, Cables, Powerplants or whatever.
Even I could believe in it for 100000$ a day :p

Geert

Major Contributor
I'm in no doubt, Paul believe in DSD, Cables, Powerplants or whatever.
That's his marketing tactics, and he's good at it. If you can convince people you believe in what you're doing, you will always find a following.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To your first question, only measurments post decoding will give us the answer for sure but I can assure you that the vast majority of the engineers designing DACs do comply to the reference designs and Datasheet recommendation, and the Chip manufacturers have thought of that. You can also google the Datasheet I've posted, so you can have a look at the filter's response, You can then judge if they are appropriate or not. I can also tell you that most "settings" are transparent to the user and not user decided. Those digital filters would be automatically selected and automatically switched. The analog filter would be obviously fixed and yeah probably with a higher cutoff than 24 kHz. For you second statement, ok, maybe. we need to define "need", but that's not what was said. I am not criticizing the whole video, but I think that more than anywhere else, facts matters, even smaller ones because a big part of this site is to request from manufacturers to stick to what is measurable and factual, so in this regard it's important.
Well you didn't post any measurements to show anything is filtered in real products. I looked up three SACD players yesterday in response to video. Two proudly advertised 100 khz response. A third one said 50 Khz. These were from likes of sony and marantz.

nikosidis

That's his marketing tactics, and he's good at it. If you can convince people you believe in what you're doing, you will always find a following.
Absolutely!
The thing is that Paul do know a lot about electronics and many things he say is good.
He always comment about the importance of setup. Can not disagree about that.
Problem is that he is selling stuff.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping E30 has two DSD filters. Not sure what they do, but i assumed the remove high frequency crud.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well you didn't post any measurements to show anything is filtered in real products. I looked up three SACD players yesterday in response to video. Two proudly advertised 100 khz response. A third one said 50 Khz. These were from likes of sony and marantz.
OK, I didn't say anything about SACD players and I didn't had any input on what is the "correct" filtering. I was talking about the "Don't know to apply any filter".
For measurments, I there are some here:

Of course you are allowed with your expertise to judge if it's done the wrong way by Dac manufacturers. My statement was not about that.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
re: "ultrasounds". What we can't hear (and see) is where charlatans live and thrive. It's the basis of every religion, cult & snakeoil purchase.
Scientific method is the match tossed upon the "Bonfire of Paul's Vanity".
Bonfire-of-the-Vanities-640x426.jpg

Nuwanda

Got bitten by curiosity and found this:

From RME DAC manual:
DSD Direct
OFF, ON. Default: OFF. When activated a DSD playback will use DSD Direct mode over the rear outputs 1/2. As DSD Direct bypasses all DSP calculations and volume control, the only way to change the output volume is by setting different refer-ence levels. Therefore in DSD Direct mode outputs Phones and IEM are disabled.
DSD Filter
When DSD Direct mode is active, high-frequency noise filters help to reduce such noise, which is quite high in level and might have negative impact on other equipment. While 50 kHz is optimized for DSD64 and 70 kHz for DSD 128 and 256, the user can freely try both at any DSD rate.

From Topping E30 Manual:

image_2022-03-12_190122.png

Top Bottom