• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recoton RCA Cable Review (Ultra Cheap Cable)

Rate this cable

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 29.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 160 61.1%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But then don't tell us (and notably the fraction of electronic design engineers with decades of hands-on experience and profound theoretical background) that these cables are absolutely fine for signal integrity. They are not. Period.
Nonsense. Millions and millions of piece of gear is shipped with these types of short RCA cables. Problems are rare and if there, are not solved by using another RCA cable. You have shown no case of such cables having signal integrity problems. Just a random claim that we now find out was for long, thin cables. Something you forgot to mention before saying this was a "real word" problem. Real world is not long, thin RCA cables.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Nonsense. Millions and millions of piece of gear is shipped with these types of short RCA cables. Problems are rare and if there, are not solved by using another RCA cable. You have shown no case of such cables having signal integrity problems. Just a random claim that we now find out was for long, thin cables. Something you forgot to mention before saying this was a "real word" problem. Real world is not long, thin RCA cables.
To be fair, he did acknowledge that this was a 1% problem and that 99% of the time, the cheapie gave no issue.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
IME I had a bunch of RCA (all freebies with gear) and would agree that in most cases these work fine.
However, I had a few that introduced hum. Whenever I cut off a connector then it turned out these cables were very poorly screened or not screened at all (only 2 wires inside and the ground wire was not insulated).
Also a few (cheap ) RCA to 3.5mm TRS have the same issue when connected to a headphone amp.

So... in practice they always work fine but with some cheapies (can't say anything about the tested one as it was not tested nor cut in half nor was that the intention of this measurement) in some cases there might be hum, weird noises, ground loops or poor contact with similar looking and even short cables.
I have encountered some over the past 40 years.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm,
I was called for help by many dozens of users with (small to medium) hum/buzz problems and in almost all cases switching from long el-cheapo RCAs to the shortest possible ones with low shield resistance (like single braided shield video cable) solved the issues.

Millions of people may have no problems, but ten thousands of people do. It's the percentage that matters, not the absolute numbers.
My experience too. While these super cheap cables when kept short can be fine, they will sometimes cause hum/noise issues which disappear with a good coax cable such as RG59 or RG6. In any other than the very cheapest applications I wouldn't use these. I'd at least spring for some coax.

It can be funny. Knew someone with these Nordost cables once. 4 meter set which I think was pushing $2k. Had a low level hum problem wanted some help. I took one look, and went to a video system he had in another room. Pulled off two of the three in an RGB connection of 6 meter long video cables. He was incredulous, but I insisted he swap. System was completely quiet, and he had a look on his face I won't forget.
proxy-image

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
My experience too. While these super cheap cables when kept short can be fine, they will sometimes cause hum/noise issues which disappear with a good coax cable such as RG59 or RG6. In any other than the very cheapest applications I wouldn't use these. I'd at least spring for some coax.

It can be funny. Knew someone with these Nordost cables once. 4 meter set which I think was pushing $2k. Had a low level hum problem wanted some help. I took one look, and went to a video system he had in another room. Pulled off two of the three in an RGB connection of 6 meter long video cables. He was incredulous, but I insisted he swap. System was completely quiet, and he had a look on his face I won't forget.
proxy-image
That effin' stuff was the 'go to upgrade' in the UK some years back. The systems I used with it (and similar) never really suffered hum, but I now wonder if what we 'heard' as an improvement may have been slight oscillation - or most probably imagination after spending so much money. It's also all but impossible to form into a 5 pin DIN plug too (I tried but only semi succeeded - 'it worked' is the best I can say).

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yeh, this is a problem. I bought a bunch of low cost XLR cables since they came in different colors. After a few dozen uses, the female end would no longer make a secure connection. Had to cut it off and terminate with a Neutrik connector. Sadly I could not find any quality cable that wasn't just black.
If the colours are for ID, and not just aesthetics, just stick a small piece of coloured tape at both ends of each one.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One thing that nobody has mentioning are the contacts. It’s important to make sure that your connections are clean. Dirty contacts can affect your sound.

The late, great Roger Russell made note of that many years ago. His old school website is still up and loaded with practical advice from a voice of experience.

Speaker and Amplifier Connectors

dasdoing

Major Contributor
and for all to sing along, over and over again until it finally sinks in:
The most important property of an unbalanced signal cable is lowest possible shield resistance.
The most important property of an unbalanced signal cable is lowest possible shield resistance.

I actually tried: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qmzEppcrE0Ok1z0MqVDbHEs-QOyIJDci/view?usp=sharing
I think of punk-rock? imagine some brighty electric guitars

Katji

Major Contributor
That's caused by outgassing of chlorides from PVC insulation—usually very low-grade PVC. Phthalates are used to make the PVC soft and flexible but once it starts to degrade, it gets all gooey and sticky—think about clear PVC covered speaker wire. Most of the good cables, Mogami, Canare, Belden, Gotham, all use XLPE (Cross-Linked Polyethylene) on the main conductors and better grade PVC that lasts for years without breakdown.
An example of "you get what you pay for." [Contrary to the predominant ASR dogma.]

The PVC [or whatever] sheath is a major factor in how flexible or stiff the cable. Multistrand / higher strand count doesn't help when the outer sheath is that stiff type of PVC.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
An example of "you get what you pay for." [Contrary to the predominant ASR dogma.]

The PVC [or whatever] sheath is a major factor in how flexible or stiff the cable. Multistrand / higher strand count doesn't help when the outer sheath is that stiff type of PVC.
It does not make sense using garbage cables even though some people like to give the usual commentary about rip offs etc for super expensive items. Of course that’s ridiculous, but that still should not stop one from buying decent wire from a reputable company. In the speaker wire comparison here, it shows that some of the wire is not even pure copper. There is some real garbage out there so just picking up the $3 dollar item is not always the best idea. I would not go crazy and spend the mortgage money on wire but decent stuff is a good idea.

One additional bit is that the lower level the signal is, the more attention should be paid to the quality the wire. For example, cable capacitance would affect a phono interconnect more than a high-level interconnect etc.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor

Apparently, the insulating outer sheath of the cheapo Recoton cable -- after who knows how many years protected by nothing but a retail blister pack -- is pretty decent, since it's not the least bit stiff.

Milesian

it serves are the audio sceptics who will gloat and once again trot out the timeworn mantra ‘Snake Oil.’ Personally, I detest the marketting strategy of the cable industry and any other industry that creates false value based on branding; fashion, automobiles, jewellery, food, wine.

Look, just about everybody into this hobby has redundant interconnects, and just about everybody has this type of interconnect. Nobody's hyping a non-product like this. That, in fact, is the point. If the interconnect is in one's collection and one has the possibility of using that interconnect, it's relevant. Somebody might be considering upgrading interconnects to something much more expensive. But this test indicates that sound quality and expense are non-correlate. Knowing the limits of measurement and audibility is always relevant, no matter how "irrelevent" [sic] one might consider the gear. Because if there is no audible or measurable difference between a $20,000 AQ interconnect and a throwaway that came packed with your DVD player ten years ago, that is very relevant. That $20,000 interconnect lives on the corner of snake oil and rip-off. Arim shining a light on that can do nothing but good.
I have been buying audio gear for 40 years and despite the constant proselytizing about there being no measurable difference, I have yet to see a diminishment in the pricing and marketing of Hifi cables. Essentially, the argument is a fart in a windstorm. The only people an evaluation such as this might serve are the sceptics, who will again gloat and trot out the tiresome and time-worn mantra, ‘Snake Oil.’ This compulsion to protect the pockets of audio purchasers puzzles me. Personally, I have desire for exotic cables, but as far as I’m concerned, if someone wants to spend $1000 on an interconnect, let them, If someone wants to spend $2000 on a pair of sneakers, $5000 on a watch $50,000 on a car, who cares? It’s their money, they can do what they want with it.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s appropriate to note that all cheap cables are constructed the same. These did well in this test in these conditions. It’s likely that most toss-in cables will do fine in most conditions. Not all will. But a cable costing not much more (in absolute terms) will likely provide good performance in any conditions where an unbalanced RCA is appropriate.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been buying audio gear for 40 years and despite the constant proselytizing about there being no measurable difference, I have yet to see a diminishment in the pricing and marketing of Hifi cables. Essentially, the argument is a fart in a windstorm. The only people an evaluation such as this might serve are the sceptics, who will again gloat and trot out the tiresome and time-worn mantra, ‘Snake Oil.’ This compulsion to protect the pockets of audio purchasers puzzles me. Personally, I have desire for exotic cables, but as far as I’m concerned, if someone wants to spend $1000 on an interconnect, let them, If someone wants to spend $2000 on a pair of sneakers, $5000 on a watch $50,000 on a car, who cares? It’s their money, they can do what they want with it.
The problem is with demonstrably false claims of superior performance with increased prices. Most consumers, even those who are well-off, don’t have the equipment to test such claims; that’s what ASR does.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
This compulsion to protect the pockets of audio purchasers
I think this is a misconception.

It’s the protection of something else. Can’t find the right words for it at the moment, sorry. Maybe later.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Of course, someone can do with their money as they please. But few people will want to spend unjustifiable sums of money seeking either an improvement in sound quality [which they won't get] or an increase in status that exists only in their imagination.

This isn't "The Absolute Sound", think of it more as "Consumer's Reports". Cost and utility are factors. If someone wants to blow $20,000 on some 1 meter, RCA terminated pair of interconnects, that's their problem. If someone wants better sound and a lower noise floor, cheap balanced would be better anyway.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
If someone wants to spend $2000 on a pair of sneakers, $5000 on a watch $50,000 on a car, who cares? It’s their money, they can do what they want with it.
$2000 sneakers, they know it's fashion, status of desirability, friends go o_O. They post on Instagram or TikTok, like "oowoo look what i got", probably not on forums saying they can walk better, more air.
[btw: the cute girl at the tobacconists suggested using my card to buy Yeezys [for rough equivalent of that]...I thought she said speakers. ...

$5000 watch, I don't know - I think they wouldn't claim anything.

$50,000 car? I'd probably buy a car for more than that tomorrow, if I knew I wasn't going to last more than a few more years.
Saying that it gets you to the mall or the office just the same is silly. There are [measurable] differences in performance. [etc.]

But the audiophile will talk rubbish about his new cables, claiming some or other improvement in sound of music.

So it's quite different. The audiophile cable listeners are nuts, the others are not.

[note: comparing prices based on forex rates is not good enough.]

Ricardus

"Long el-cheapo" is not at all common. The type of cable I tested are the throw-in ones which are almost always 1 meter or less. The solution to a long one is to go balanced, not hope and pray a thicker shield reduces the voltage differential to fix your problem.
My dad runs el-cheapo cables (with 1/8th in TRS to dual RCA adapters) from the analog output on his laptop to his receiver about 15 ft, with most of it along walls with AC mains wiring, and I can't hear any noticeable hum.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My dad runs el-cheapo cables (with 1/8th in TRS to dual RCA adapters) from the analog output on his laptop to his receiver about 15 ft, with most of it along walls with AC mains wiring, and I can't hear any noticeable hum.
Mostly hum on unbalanced cables come from ground loops. His laptop is probably not earthed, so there is no ground loop between laptop and amp, so no hum.

If he were running an earthed desktop PC, and the amp is also earthed, ground loop noise would be quite likely over that distance.

Top Bottom