• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analysis of Paper on Measurements of RCA Cables by Kunchur (Video)

Trudius

Why not? Obviously it would be a huge scientific find! It would mean new physics needs to be found to explain it.

It’s akin to the JWT finding that the current Big Bang theories are wrong ;)
How would one go about showing "proven audible differences" on sound? Also I don't think it is a matter of physics IMO.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those snobby idiots are apparently so busy that they miss the most basic and obvious problems. Anyone with an once of sense could see these papers are nonsense in about 3 minutes. It’s also not one person that does the reviewing, it’s multiple! That is a whole lot of failure.
In my branch of science, commonly three peer reviewers. I have no idea what JAES's standard is.

Managing people I found on safety issues and fact checking too many people reviewing things ends up not being that good. If I sent two people to check something results were pretty good. Anytime I sent three or more it seemed everyone put forth a slipshod effort hitting the high spots and figuring one of the other people would catch anything important. I wonder if peer review panels are like that?

I also found once a formal panel had decided something, it was very hard to change that ruling or finding. If you happened across dead certain facts, it hardly mattered. Everyone else thought the panel had ruled and didn't really hear you.

Peer reviewers typically don't see each others' reviews. So there is no 'formal panel'. A given review may recommend against publication, for publication, or for publication after addressing errors. The editor decides how the peer review results will be summed and 'interpreted' as one of those three options.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would one go about showing "proven audible differences" on sound? Also I don't think it is a matter of physics IMO.
Hmm, I see you're new here.

Audible difference is scientifically tested by using double blind listening tests. And yes, hearing certainly is bounded by physics.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, this was posted to AES comment section by Kunchur on criticism of his first paper:
Someone viewed the work as an "...immense headache...painful...". Formal scientific research — and for that matter serious endeavors of other kinds -- can indeed be difficult and grueling. But never painful, as it is done out of passion and dedication. Knowledge generation in research is, by its nature, a stochastic and fragmentary process. A neatly tied up final result cannot be ordered from a menu. Each work contributes pieces to the puzzle, which gradually coalesce to form a complete picture. For example, there were numerous publications on wide-bandgap semiconductors that culminated in the final research and development of LED lighting. If each of the prior works is viewed as a partially empty glass, we wouldn't have the current lighting revolution. The present JAES paper was vetted by 4 reviewers in addition to the editors. It is clear in its statement of what was accomplished and what more needs to be done. Whenever any reader extends this work and fills in some missing pieces, please do post that journal reference here. We all look forward to it.

----------
Bolding mine. I would respond except that the moderator keeps deleting comments.

That's extraordinary.

At this point it would seem your best recourse is a letter to JAES itself (to be printed) or commentary paper , if such are allowed.

Trudius

Audile difference is scientifically tested by using double blind listening tests. And yes, hearing certainly is bounded by physics.
Audible differences are tested in persons/animals by means of audiometry measurements. Sound is part of the EM spectrum and thus it is Physics but listening impressions are neither dude.

Reactions: VQR

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A problem for interested 'lay' folk is that serious research papers are often difficult to obtain for casual review. AES charges 33 dollars for a copy, or one hundred and twenty five dollars a year, allowing (I guess) unlimited access. So unless you can find a pirated copy on line somewhere (not advised for legal reasons), those at the hobbyist level (who do not have access via an institutional account) will never be able to check anything out. A decent university library should have copies of the Journal, especially one with an EE program, so that could be an option.
A decent Uni library may also offer online access to the JAES's archive.

It is one of the deals with academia in general. JSTOR and such. Research is essentially closely held. Whether that is the best way, and whether paywalls are a benefit to anyone, is an open question.

One point for published papers. Authors should always list any sponsors providing dollars or in-kind support.

To his credit, and as you linked, his academic page offers some of his writings for free download. Finally, Kunchur lets us know he is writing (or has written) a book, soon to be published: High-end audio -- a scientific perspective.

And this is quite insidious. He's going to stake a claim to a scientific high ground that he has no standing to claim.

PeteL

Major Contributor

Audible difference is scientifically tested by using double blind listening tests. And yes, hearing certainly is bounded by physics.
Double blind test can indeed prove audible differences but can't prove inaudibility of measurable differences, It just can prove inaudibility to the persons doing the tests. Yes hearing is bounded by physics but vary much between individuals.

Trudius

That's extraordinary.

At this point it would seem your best recourse is a letter to JAES itself (to be printed) or commentary paper , if such are allowed.
Those letters are called "expressions of concern". They require several independent authors to comb through the paper and point out inconsistencies, conflicts of interest or bad reasoning. There is also the "social media" Pubpeer where one can post concerns as comments to a searchable site such as Pubmed. That was quite important during the recent pandemic.

Trudius

Those letters are called "expressions of concern". They require several independent authors to comb through the paper and point out inconsistencies, conflicts of interest or bad reasoning. There is also the "social media" Pubpeer where one can post concerns as comments to a searchable site such as Pubmed. That was quite important during the recent pandemic.
The letter of concern has to be published in the same Journal as the original publication. This is so it reaches the same audience.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's extraordinary.

In the past they have printed such letters/papers. In this case though, I don't know. When the paper came out, I wrote three objections in the comment section of the paper. All three were rejected by the moderator and discarded (telling me to attend the zoom meeting with author). I tried to email that moderator using his AES email address and that bounced! So I gave up.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audible differences are tested in persons/animals by means of audiometry measurements. Sound is part of the EM spectrum and thus it is Physics but listening impressions are neither dude.
Tell it to the psychophysicists, *dude*.

You're splitting ridiculous hairs. I could split them even more finely by noting that listening impressions necessarily require neuronal activity and thus, again: physics.

And sound isn't part of the EM spectrum. It's waves of compression and expansion of air molecules.

Double blind test can indeed prove audible differences but can't prove inaudibility of measurable differences,
'
The statement was not about proving inaudibility.

But even then, science never has to 'prove' something doesn't exist to the ultimate degree of certainty. Otherwise you could argue, hey man, science hasn't, like, *proved* unicorns don't live in the clouds.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the past they have printed such letters/papers. In this case though, I don't know. When the paper came out, I wrote three objections in the comment section of the paper. All three were rejected by the moderator and discarded (telling me to attend the zoom meeting with author). I tried to email that moderator using his AES email address and that bounced! So I gave up.

Possibly the online moderator is not the person responsible for evaluating actual letters to the editor of JAES. As noted by Trudius it's also possible such a letter would need multiple authors. JAES's instructions for authors hopefully could clarify. Partnering with a noted AES member to co-author could be a way in. Perhaps JJ?

Trudius

YOu might try to contact Retraction Watch or use the site Pubpeer. I don't know if that includes Engineering though.

Trudius

Tell it to the psychophysicists, *dude*.

You're splitting ridiculous hairs. I could split them even more finely by noting that listening impressions necessarily require neuronal activity and thus, again: physics.

And sound isn't part of the EM spectrum. It's waves of compression and expansion of air molecules.

'

But even then, science never has to 'prove' something doesn't exist to the ultimate degree of certainty. Otherwise you could argue, hey man, science hasn't, like, *proved* unicorns don't live in the clouds.
I agree and stand corrected on the EM spectrum. However that does not take you out of the quandary that "audible differences" are testable. In the end, all human actions are dependent on physics (e.g. me typing now). But if human audible differences were to be testable then ASR is only dealing with 50% of the problem (electronics etc. but not people).

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again: tell it to the psychophysicists (subfield: psychoacoustics). You're saying their entire field -- which certainly involves testing of "human audible difference" -- is a phantasm.

It's hardly practical for ASR to conduct blind listening tests on every device. It is entirely practical for ASR to acknowledge the caveats attendant on sighted listening, and to concern itself with whether a measured difference is likely to be audible. Which it does.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Scandalous!
Indeed. "We accept any and all feedback provided it is glowingly positive!"

My hope is that Kunchur is simply mistaken. But my experience is if someone engages in malfeasances in some form of their professional capacity, it usually doesn't stop there. They just do a good job of tightening the belt when they know important people will be watching. But I will reserve judgement until more evidence becomes available.

Someone who knows him on the form said the following: "I know Milind personally from his day-job, and I'd like to say that he is an accomplished scientist ... So, here's a suggestion: Reach out to him and see what he has to say." Think he would make good on that? Would be an interesting conversation to have to hear what he has to say about his testing and commentary.

PeteL

Major Contributor
'

True, I should have started my sentence with "But". But more fundamentally, I thought that was an odd response, like "you must be new here, audibility is proved by blind tests." First, simply because ASR never performed any blind tests, and as far as I know haven't done much promotion for scientific findings done by blind testing.

My other point is that blind tests contribution to the state of knowledge about audibility is very minimal. If anything, it can potentially can tell us if done properly that it's at least possible to hear some low noise and distortion artifacts or physical considerations, but it's more about probability and statistics. Yes probability and statistics is science, but browse around and you'll find that DBT proper rigourous papers are very few and far between. So in terms of statistics the sample size is almost negligible. A few individuals here and there, but never any large scale studies based on blind testing.

Your last comment on that is just a sophism, between the line it basically says. - "No one can prove there are no unicorn but it is not scientifically reasonable, therefore is don't exist, demonstrate that we don't need to know more to tell someone what he is hearing is impossible to hear" That is not exactly what you said, but it's what it mean. this types of shortcuts are anything but an argument based on science.

Now what science can do is not so much tell us much about audibility, At least where the current state is, but it still should be flagged like in the case of this study based on measurements, it is clear that it doesn't scientifically prove anything about audibility. And that is what Amir have done in this debunking video. And it's scientifically correct. Amir demonstrates that his arguments are flawed and that it don't demonstrate any audible difference. We should take it for what it is, it doesn't prove the lack of difference, it proves that nothing there show us audible difference, it's important to make the distinction if we want to say that what we are talking about is based on science.

Top Bottom