• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind taste test, different transfer equipment (jazz)

Which is tube, which is solid state?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Let's take a moment to more closely examine your avatar...

WILBURYS%200523c.jpg

More people taking the test would be cool/fun (like 13 more). That's a nice ↑ picture.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Interesting split in the votes at this point.
I was focusing mainly on the simmer and air I thought I heard with the cymbals.
Since I'm an old tube guy I went with the choice as tube that sounded best to me.
We shall see.

OP
H

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe we can ask the OP to delay the result for couple more weeks? ...Give a chance...to more people voting.

Would anyone oppose if I extended it a week? Anyone that has voted you can PM me if you want the results.

I will add that for this forum's small member base this is not a bad turn out in votes. I posted a blind needle drop sample test on an audiophile forum with 5000-10000 active members and the votes were fewer than what we have here!

TBone- there is not much detailed information on the recording engineer's equipment, he was a bit secretive about it. He recorded to mono using full track tape prior to late 1957 using modified Ampex tape machines. From what people could gather in photographs he used Neumann and Telefunken microphones.

I will reveal more about the equipment I used after I close the poll, it probably won't be of too much use since a lot of it is custom built.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
OP, I posted your simple test over @ WBF; not one single reply.

* Sure, extend you poll for another week...we might get 10% of the total members here...which would be pretty pretty good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Would anyone oppose if I extended it a week? Anyone that has voted you can PM me if you want the results.
Works for me, see if we can get a little more input.
As for the results I can wait till you end it.
Hero or Villain matters little. I been the black sheep all my life. :cool:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
If the second file is tube, I'm going to sell all my gear and go tuba all the way.
I'll put some inner tubes under my tubing gear and listen to music through it while relaxing in my hot tub.

Bonus:

The most amazing exhibit room.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hey, he set up his speakers upside down. :confused:

TBone

Major Contributor
TBone- there is not much detailed information on the recording engineer's equipment, he was a bit secretive about it. He recorded to mono using full track tape prior to late 1957 using modified Ampex tape machines. From what people could gather in photographs he used Neumann and Telefunken microphones.

I will reveal more about the equipment I used after I close the poll, it probably won't be of too much use since a lot of it is custom built.

Understood, as Ray suggested, during the extended waiting period, we can examine my old sneaky avatar ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TBone

Major Contributor
because I noticed -something- after examination that could be measured but not explained ... plus I'm currently working on my Ozzy collection.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I am OK with waiting as much as I am dying to know which is which :).

I'm dying to know too Amir. But I'm pretty sure that my favorite audio file (#2) was the tube one...it sounded so much more sculpted and complete.
If there was only one audio file, say #1, I would be satisfy. But there are two audio files, and I listened to them a dozen times each.
And there is not a single drop of doubt in my ears and heart that #2 (tube) is sweet as a turquoise sky under the sunset @ the ocean's precipice.

Tube people are better lovers. :)
______

@ TBone, your ex-avatar, your new avatar...both awesome. It's truly you. :)
They both look from a tube music lover.

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
North, the only reason I could endure listening to Ozzy, was Randy. Not really a tube lover, but appreciate their sonic nature. To me, ALL audio is colored to one extent or another ... we choose our fav. hues accordingly.

As for my old Avatar, I couldn't help notice Bob smirking and showing off his fancy sneaker, while the others ...

OP
H

hvbias

Come on guys we're still only at 8 votes :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Come on guys we're still only at 8 votes :)
If I was still living in Chicago I'd do like any good Cook County Democrat, vote early and often. :cool:

OP
H

hvbias

Going to reveal this slightly early since I'll be gone for the weekend. Option two is the correct choice.

The tube tape pre is based around a DHT final stage with Lundahl amorphous output transformers (other two stages are high gm tubes, cap coupled with solid state CCS loading in both stages). The solid state version is based around the Pass Pearl 2 DIY phono stage that has EQ modified. ADC is from Ayre.

My personal preference is for the tube pre, it sounds like it has more presence and a sounds a bit more "live" compared to the SS. It also sounds more like what I hear from the HDTracks hi-res transfer.

Top Bottom