• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is "good enough"?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the paralysis of analysis...

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not complicated. Measurements tell us nearly everything we need to know. Even with speakers. Get stuff that measures well (aka does what it's supposed to do and nothing more or less) and then set it up in the room as best you can (the room/speaker relationship is where most of the issues exist). Spend what you can - you can do it pretty successfully for very reasonable amounts thanks to having good information to use (measurments).

There is no system that's good for "everyone" because people have different requirements. But even as a person who values "good sound" in an audiophile sense, I could get by if I had to with a nice bluetooth speaker or a set of bluetooth headphones. Luckily I don't have to.
Exactly.

This was basically my point. There are plenty of "good enough" systems to be had for reasonable amounts of money.

Are they going to have the pointless bling that the narcissists want? No. But you'll have a cracking system that reproduces the input signal quite nicely.

Almost "in a very resolving way with amazing soundstage even my wife could hear from the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ;)

(or whatever the audiophools say). :facepalm:

JeremyFife

Wandering around the house with anyone in the family about: the various Amazon echo devices or the TV's (horrible) sound bar are 'good enough'. Same goes when family and friends visit.
Working in the little upstairs office: playing internet BBC Radio via JRiver quietly as background is 'good enough'
When I get the space to sit down with my main system and actually listen then that's much better - but doesn't change the 'good enough' rating.
I'd really need a bigger room before I could justify any real change - that's a whole different discussion
Life!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
The audiophile industry is pretty much built upon the notion that there's always another level to be achieved. There's always more magic to be found. You have a $10000 system? That's real nice...but if you put another $10K into it you're going to be blown away by the sound! Oh, you have a $100K system? Nice! If' you drop another $100K into it you're going to be blown away by the sound! Your music will "bring you to tears!"

Interestingly, I've had that emotional response to music on almost every piece of audio equipment I've owned over the past 40 years...much of which has been decidedly not high fidelity. There isn't a magical level to be achieved. If you have a set up that is doing the basic thing that it's supposed to do (accurately reproducing a recording at the spl you require) you are set.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I just cynical that I think 99% of the "next level" concept is status seeking?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Am I just cynical that I think 99% of the "next level" concept is status seeking?
Yes, certainly. It started with me during my education at the engineering school in the sixties, when I once lived in a dormitory for students. Everyone looked to see what kind of stereo system the other person had, and they tried to outdo each other. Apparently that was also important to impress the girls. I still remember that I had a Harman Kardon receiver and Sonab speakers in my work and bedroom at that time. I think the record player was a Toshiba.

Ricardus

Interestingly, I've had that emotional response to music on almost every piece of audio equipment I've owned over the past 40 years...much of which has been decidedly not high fidelity. There isn't a magical level to be achieved. If you have a set up that is doing the basic thing that it's supposed to do (accurately reproducing a recording at the spl you require) you are set.
Yes. I'm moved by the music no matter how bad the system is.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine's more stereomania.

/I'll be here all day, folks!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Idk. If you don't show off to a peer group does it count as status seeking?
If you don't post about it or show it off? Maybe not, although I bet people collect all sorts of expensive things seeking status.

Multicore

Major Contributor
If you don't post about it or show it off? Maybe not, although I bet people collect all sorts of expensive things seeking status.
Like I said, I really don't know. I rather feel that knowing you've got a truly superior X than almost everyone else and not bragging about it because you derive satisfaction from knowing that you could brag but don't is still status seeking.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'm more of a hedonic treadmill type. You get a certain euphoria or high when you listen to music and it is immersive. I tend to think better equipment will allow me to get into that zone a little faster. Up to a point, it does. I've pointed out in other threads there are some pretty powerful non-equipment tweaks one can also employ.

Since lurking here, I suspect that adequate bass, flat midrange. low distortion, and wide, fairly even, dispersion are sufficient.

Top Bottom