• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean for sharpening or steel grade type?

If the former I use these:

If the latter, I like several types of knife steel. One of my favorites for holding an edge and ease of resharpening:

For a more corrosive resistant, and edge retention steel CPM 154 Steel is another option but it tends to be more expensive. Trade offs it takes more work to resharpen but holds the edge longer. In a Marine environment I would go with CPM 154.
Nice! I’m an amateur when it comes to knowing what’s what but I like carrying a knife and just started researching the MagnaCut. Seems new but maybe it’s been out awhile.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you already post pictures of these?
they are among those on the board of knives I posted earlier. I think there are only a couple. As others have noted, Magnacut is relatively new but many knife makers are going to it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a few magnacut knives. Fantastic knife steel.
Thanx for the wake-up call!
I was really hoping that my days of buying newer and newer knives had finally ended... but noooooooo!
202311_KnifeMagnaCutChem.jpg
link
I guess aliexpress had heard about MagnaCut way before I did; as there are a bunch advertised magnacut knives at slave-labor prices, as usual.
But there is no way of really knowing if it is WYSIWYG... or more like if it really is WYGIWYS?:(

goryu

Spyderco has a preorder Manix in magnacut coming out soon. Manix is one of my favs and can't wait for the magnacut version!

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
There are loads of Magnacut knives out there, particularly in the US. The steel has been available for about a year and a half and is very popular with makers. it's a great steel.

goryu

Hot steel in Japan in recent years is HAP40.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No leathercraft thread, so posting on an adjacent thread seeing as knife guys are often knife sheath guys too. Amazing work by this Frenchman in the countryside:

Fully intend to commission a satchel from him.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought one of these knife sets with the ferrocerium fire starter, sheath and striker. Upon receiving it I found the handle to be a bit small for my X-large hands.
knife 1.png

What I really wanted is this Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter knife.
knife 2.png

Barrelhouse Solly

I recently bought one of these knife sets with the ferrocerium fire starter, sheath and striker. Upon receiving it I found the handle to be a bit small for my X-large hands.
View attachment 370162
What I really wanted is this Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter knife.
View attachment 370164
D2 is a great material. It's a tool steel often used for punches and dies. It has excellent wear resistance and toughness. It's a refreshing departure from the boutique varieties of high carbon stainless that are generally tweaked versions of high carbon 440C. Disclaimer: I'm not a knife expert but I was a heat treater for 15 years so I do have a steel background.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
D2 is a great material. It's a tool steel often used for punches and dies. It has excellent wear resistance and toughness. It's a refreshing departure from the boutique varieties of high carbon stainless that are generally tweaked versions of high carbon 440C. Disclaimer: I'm not a knife expert but I was a heat treater for 15 years so I do have a steel background.
I wanted a non-rusting metal. I also wanted the Kydex sheath but on second thought after having the Kydex sheath it makes noise and I like a silent sheath so maybe leather is better. With the new knife I found the very fist time that I pulled the knife from the sheath that the locking snap leather piece was being cut by the blade so I removed that immediately.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been looking at sharpening and honing kits. What grit would you recommend for finishing D2 steel?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been looking at sharpening and honing kits. What grit would you recommend for finishing D2 steel?
Do you want a mirror finish or functional sharpness? I get the latter from a 1500-grit diamond hone. For a true mirror finish, however, it’s water stones of 10,000 grit or above.

I use the water stones for wood planes, but the diamond hone is fine for me for EDC knives.

Rick “sharp enough to slice paper even after the coarse grit” Denney

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you want a mirror finish or functional sharpness? I get the latter from a 1200-grit diamond hone. For a true mirror finish, however, it’s water stones of 10,000 grit or above.

I use the water stones for wood planes, but the diamond hone is fine for me for EDC knives.

Rick “sharp enough to slice paper even after the coarse grit” Denney
The present sharpness from the factory will cut paper but it's touch and go and some tearing is occurring. I can visually see the sharpening cut in the steel blade and so I imagine they never went very high in the grit.

I am interested in a Work Sharp sharpening system. There is the $100 model and there is the ~$300-$370 model.
The Pro model comes with much larger diamond sharpening steel(s) with a ceramic and a leather strop.
The pro model system is what I would buy if I am going to invest in a sharpening system. It has the following grits, ceramic and leather strop etc. A optional grit system up to about 2000 grit is available.>>>
Screenshot 2024-05-18 172832.png

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm not really a knife person so I can't give good advice. In general I think that something that works well with high carbon stainless should work well with D2. Their alloy content is similar and their physical properties when hardened are also similar. I'm guessing that the working hardness of a D2 knife would be about the same as a stainless one.

Top Bottom