• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

Rhodo

A couple notes.
When using BT on the LP-UNF volume was not controlled via BT. It made no difference when adjusting volume on my Pixel 8 Pro. Had to to use volume on the speaker.
Using THX Onyx DAC connected to my phone and using 3.5mm to RCA cable going to the Kali sounded noticeably better than BT using same source.
Haven't tried USB directly yet.
Very interested in these, great to get you and your family/neighbor's opinion about them!

So I know from personal experience that the IN-UNF orb speakers are dead silent when on but not playing anything, is that true of the LP-UNF's speakers too? Would really appreciate feedback about that in particular. Kali stressed the self-noise reduction on the IN-UNF marketing but it's notably absent from the LP-UNF's press, I'm wondering if some of the 'second wave' amp improvements were dropped to keep the cost down.

Edit: Neighbor representation added.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I know from personal experience that the IN-UNF orb speakers are dead silent when on but not playing anything, is that true of the LP-UNF's speakers too?
Yes. Haven’t heard any hiss from them, at least not via USB-C.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Didn't notice any but will double check tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Another note:
Cable between speaker is short. 6 feet maybe. Enough for most desks but sometimes routing to make things neat might need a longer cable. Luckily, it uses phoenix connectors. So a couple phoenix connectors wit 4 conductor speaker cable should work fine but I haven't tested it.

Just put my ear up to them connected RCA. A VERY slight hiss that I could no longer hear at past 4 inches. These are 60 y/o ears so YMMV. I doubt it would be an issue for anyone.

For reference the LSX II, I can hear some noise about 1 foot away. Still pretty quiet though.

Luciferium

Hi guys,

I want to understand 2 things about this monitors.
1st) When connecting through USB, a digital signal converts to analog then again converts to digital and only then going to digital to PWM or it directly going to digital/PWM and bypassing internal ADC chip?

2nd) 160W Class D Power
Power Config: 2-Channel, each bi-amped
HF Power Per Channel 40 W
LF Power Per Channel: 40 W

So in the pair of this monitors we must have total 4 (2 in the each speaker) TAS5805M class-D amplifier chips in mono mode (one for each tweeter and one for each mid-woofer), am I getting this right?

Thanks

Rhodo

Yes. Haven’t heard any hiss from them, at least not via USB-C.
Just put my ear up to them connected RCA. A VERY slight hiss that I could no longer hear at past 4 inches. These are 60 y/o ears so YMMV. I doubt it would be an issue for anyone.

For reference the LSX II, I can hear some noise about 1 foot away. Still pretty quiet though.
Thank you both for checking!

Based on that I think I'll move these to the top of my list, now I just need to hold out for measurements.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For my office, I'm still hesitating between Kali and Kanto.I prefer the look of the Kali, but I don't have their measurements, whereas the Kanto do.
https://www.audioholics.com/computer-speaker-reviews/kanto-living-ora

Thanks for that link. I'm surprised the Kanto without sub is only down 5 dB at 50 Hz given that small woofer. As noted in that link, it certainly seems to have some well engineered DSP filtering to smooth out that response. I don't have space for a sub, so I am waiting for an independently generated FR graph on the Kalis to see how they compare.

And, these things need some kind of stand or another way to raise them a bit. I'll probably just 3D print some small feet for this: raising the front by about 3 cm should be enough.

It's hard to tell from the photos of the rear as to how far "in" the rubberized feet are attached. I wouldn't have guessed it possible to raise the front 3 cm and still have enough contact on the rubberized feet on the rear keep them from sliding. I have about an inch and a half to play with in vertical height to play with at the front or my second monitor would hit the top when I swing it in for use. Wish I had not been so cheap and bought a better mount for it rather than one that has no vertical adjustment.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Hi guys,

1st) When connecting through USB, a digital signal converts to analog then again converts to digital and only then going to digital to PWM or it directly going to digital/PWM and bypassing internal ADC chip?

2nd) 160W Class D Power
Power Config: 2-Channel, each bi-amped
HF Power Per Channel 40 W
LF Power Per Channel: 40 W

So in the pair of this monitors we must have total 4 (2 in the each speaker) TAS5805M class-D amplifier chips in mono mode (one for each tweeter and one for each mid-woofer), am I getting this right?

Thanks

I have been assuming that the reason the USB is fixed at 24/48 is that simplifies the overall USB input path so no additional processing is needed before the DSP chip starts to work on the signal.

I have to think you are correct on the amp configuration. It does seem a bit odd to quote the total power for the pair when most systems/speakers are stated as watts per channel.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's hard to tell from the photos of the rear as to how far "in" the rubberized feet are attached. I wouldn't have guessed it possible to raise the front 3 cm and still have enough contact on the rubberized feet on the rear keep them from sliding.
Well, I can confirm that the rubber pads may not be far enough out. In my case, one of them was, and the other was not, so it's close to the "edge". Luckily, you get an extra set of rubber pads that you can attach in this case.

1708501878124.png

Last edited:

mellowflight

We got some stock in, so I took a pair home to test. Haven't had much time and haven't measured except SPL for comparison. My son and neighbor gave some opinions.

Compared to LSX II. A lot of back and forth and both people guessed the wrong speaker they thought they were between speaker A and speaker B. Picture below tried on different locations between inside Kef, outside Kef and on stands.
Kali better highs and dynamics
Kef better bass, warmer sound
Mids - Tie
Appearance - Kef unanimous
Features - Kef
Value - Kali

Overall closer than I thought it would be.

Compared to IN-UNF with just my son for quick comparison
Vocals - IN-UNF. This was the biggest difference between them. Otherwise close. Maybe an edge to the IN-UNF for bass and the LP-UNF seemed brighter with more pronounced highs.
Appearance - He thought LP-INF for being less obtrusive. He liked being able to move the monitor back not having the bass module.
Placement flexibility - Tie. I say this because it took a bit to get the bass correct with the IN-UNF in my set up, but the satellite base makes it easy to angle the globes. The LP-UNF needs stands. I currently have them with some Auralex Mopads angled up.

I'm sure I will be testing more soon. Haven't used the WS-6.2 with them yet and I have one here. Normally, it is connected the the Kef. I had to disconnect it for the comparison. So, all testing was only speakers for this quick impromptu comparison.
Thanks for the write up! Much appreciated.

Just wondering, were you able to compare the audio quality using USB and Analog? I'm wondering if the DSP etc sounds better via digital or not.

Thanks!

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I did use analog with THX Onyx DAC from my phone with 3.5mm to RCA into LP-UNF. It did sound better with this than Bluetooth. I didn't check with USB yet.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I would put money on that it does. Probably for speaker protection, crossover and it's placement correction features.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I'm wondering if it has a DSP at all ;) It doesn't mention it anywhere on the product page.

The USB-C port is not only for digital audio connection but also to upload new firmware. I'd say that's 100% confirmation that the crossover/trim/boundary EQ are controlled via a DSP chip.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Well, I can confirm that the rubber pads may not be far enough out. In my case, one of them was, and the other was not, so it's close to the "edge". Luckily, you get an extra set of runner pads that you can attach in this case.

View attachment 351193

I'm a bit confused--do those attach to the back or front? There's no mention of them on the site, in the user guide PDF, or in either of the two videos from Kali on YouTube.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bit confused--do those attach to the back or front?
On the front obviously.
There's no mention of them on the site, in the user guide PDF, or in either of the two videos from Kali on YouTube.
That’s not surprising, I made these myself ;)

sejarzo

Forum Donor
That’s not surprising, I made these myself ;)

Sorry, that previous reply confused me. You noted extra pads for the rear (again, there's no mention of those being included in any Kali documentation) and posted that picture.

Unsure what you mean by "runner pads", are they just more of what is already attached to the bottom as supplied?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, that previous reply confused me. You noted extra pads for the rear (again, there's no mention of those being included in any Kali documentation) and posted that picture.
The extra pads are just some small round rubber stickers. Nothing fancy.

“Runner” is just my phone refusing to correctly accept my typing :facepalm:

Luciferium

I think they are gonna use same good internal parts from LP6/8 V2 speakers for this speakers. So in the TAS5805M class-D amplifier we have an integrated DSP processor, so no need for separate one

1708543536837.png

Hope useing USB, we will have full digital until digital to PWM or maybe I'm just a dreamer

Zapper

Most Class-D amps are analog (the PWM is analog) and take an analog input. So the signal path is USB -> DSP -> DAC -> analog error amp -> analog PWM -> analog gate drivers -> power FETs -> LC low pass filter. As far as I know the TI chips have this signal flow, and some have all of the above on a single die (except the LC filter).

Top Bottom