• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Lab

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd rather have them add an iPhone app for the DSP cable. I have 2, can not use them :facepalm:

I wonder whether they are not doing that because they realized the can of worms they opened with a cable that can change the tuning of the IEMs they are selling?
I think Apple currently does not allow (but that will probably change in the next few months), the low level access write changes to an attached usb-c in IOS. Writing these settings is not the same as read/writing from an attached storage usb device.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Apple currently does not allow (but that will probably change in the next few months), the low level access write changes to an attached usb-c in IOS. Writing these settings is not the same as read/writing from an attached storage usb device.
How would the USB connection function if iOS did not allow data to be written over USB? Isn't it more likely that Moondrop does not want to pay for MFi?

MacClintock

I'd rather have them add an iPhone app for the DSP cable. I have 2, can not use them :facepalm:

I wonder whether they are not doing that because they realized the can of worms they opened with a cable that can change the tuning of the IEMs they are selling?
It is not so much the question, if it can be used for iOS, but that it doesn’t support proper parametric EQ with all filter types. They must be aware of the Qudelix and software, so instead of offering only a crippled version, they could go in full competition with their cable, not sure if there are really technical issues preventing this.
Also, EQ can only do so much, a very peaky FR cannot be properly remedied and at least the new Dusk looks pretty smooth in the treble.

MacClintock

I am not saying that it is bad, I am sure it sounds awesome. But I am so happy with his Red that I find it VERY hard to justify spending that much on an incremental upgrade.
Very incremental indeed.
graph (26).png

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
By the way, I have written a review of the new Moondrop Chu II DSP and posted it here:

In some respects, it mirrors this new Dusk, where DSP has been used to get the final 'tweaks' to the analog tuning and it highlighted to me both the benefits of these DSP cables but also some of the frustrating limitations that exist currently.

USER

Forum Donor
Very incremental indeed.
View attachment 360608

That's it?? That's crazy. There are just so many (far less expensive) IEMs working with that "RED" sound these days in more "interesting" ways.

graph (6).png
graph (3).png
graph (4).png
graph (5).png
graph (8).png
graph.png

graph (7).png
graph (9).png

Maybe they saw the most expensive of these (the last two, comparable in price) were going up towards Harman between 3-5kHz and said, let's be wild and go down a dB! But yeah, I sort of feel bad because this is screaming for people to try out EQ. That said, in 2024 no wired, non-noise-cancelling, IEM without software as decent as JBL's (low bar) should go for more than $200--unless the body can be molded to fit one's ears better. I do understand that the $20 bar that currently gets you high fidelity is not sustainable in the long term for these companies, but maybe splitting the difference and pricing these at or below $200 would actually help in the long run. I'd certainly consider that for comfort and usability.

MacClintock

That's it?? That's crazy. There are just so many (far less expensive) IEMs working with that "RED" sound these days in more "interesting" ways.

View attachment 360729View attachment 360724View attachment 360725View attachment 360726View attachment 360735View attachment 360727

View attachment 360728View attachment 360744

Maybe they saw the most expensive of these (the last two, comparable in price) were going up towards Harman between 3-5kHz and said, let's be wild and go down a dB! But yeah, I sort of feel bad because this is screaming for people to try out EQ. That said, in 2024 no wired, non-noise-cancelling, IEM without software as decent as JBL's (low bar) should go for more than $200--unless the body can be molded to fit one's ears better. I do understand that the $20 bar that currently gets you high fidelity is not sustainable in the long term for these companies, but maybe splitting the difference and pricing these at or below $200 would actually help in the long run. I'd certainly consider that for comfort and usability.
The Red has, admittedly, quite large swings in the treble, like most alternatives you have shown here. And to get a smooth treble, one usually has to invest more, but look at this comparison below with the 7Hz Salnotes Zero 2. If one trusts the measurements in the treble, which one can't really, but just for the sake of the argument, than the only smoother region would be between 9 kHz and 11 kHz, above the 7Hz Zero 2 is even closer to the target, and also does not have a giant peak like the Dusk 2. Sure, you get a nice shell and a DSP cable, but this is about 15 times the price. Would be interesting to see the sales numbers at the end of the year....
graph (28).png

CedarX

Forum Donor
Would be interesting to see the sales numbers at the end of the year....
I bet Dusk sales are gonna be to the roof !!!

It has all the “audiophile” qualities you could dream of: it’s a trybrid, dual miniature planar, HODDDUS (with 3x ‘d’, like 3D !!!), high-temperature heat-treated carbon fiber (you know, ears are hot!), Crinacle’s stamp… and I’m confident it’ll exhibit this wide soundstage with the correct height, and all the right technicalities… and for $359 only… a steal !!!

Yes, there is this pesky DSD cable, but audiophiles will discard it like others are discarding Moondrop’s Waifus: after all, a science-backed accessory has no more value than an Anime-reference.

Actually, I think $359 is too low… :p:p:p

alumnicesar

there is no point to buying a $100+ iem when the 4 Zeros exist (7hz zero, 7hz zero 2, truthear zero, truthear zero red)

MacClintock

Shall we shutdown headphones and IEMs section of the forum you reckon?
That is not necessary, the DAC section is also still open, although it is a solved problem, for very reasonable prices. For sure there will be many more IEMs coming out, maybe even at a faster pace, there will be new driver types and combinations, new shell designs, whatever. But besides overall treble smoothnes, which many of the cheaper IEMs are still missing, I can´t really see what there needs to be done. We have cheap, low distortion IEMs which follow more than 90% an accepted target. Is there anything essential still missing?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
there is no point to buying a $100+ iem when the 4 Zeros exist (7hz zero, 7hz zero 2, truthear zero, truthear zero red)
As good as the truthear iems are they are physically uncomfortable for many and replacement tips aren't available. Given the profound effect that tips have on the FR the latter is a showstopper for me. Basically the value proposition of an iem is more than the cost and a graph on the back of the box.

Doltonius

The Harman target really isn't all there is to iems and headphones; while it may be the average preference curve (there is doubt on even this point), it is not the universally optimal curve for everyone; it will only be optimal for you if your anatomy and subjective preference are right at the average of the population, which I doubt would be true for many people. And Amir doesn't care about the response above 8khz; the measurement is inaccurate and his hearing in that range is also inadequate, as he himself acknowledges. However, performance above 8khz becomes the primary area where more expensive iems make improvements. The truthear zero red (which I have) sounds indeed just mediocre to me in that regard compared to a few other more expensive and well-rated, well-graphing iems that I have.

InfiniteJester

The Zero:2s are the worst audio piece of equipment that I own. They get zero use. I have tried to give them to several people (I hate having things that get no use) and no one have wanted them after trying them. No one have wanted them for free. I have successfully given away from decent headphones, like the HD599, to pieces of garbage like the JBL Tune500, and people have really appreciated them. But I cannot get rid of the Zero:2s. It is the only thing that I have tried to give away, I insist: for free, and people have declined. And it happened thrice.

Maybe Spaniards have big ears or something, but these miniscule nozzles are not adequate for anyone I know. Everybody complains about them not fitting, sounding distant, shouty, boxy, incredibly fatiguing, etc.

I could make a case for the EW200s, though, if they didn't need a little EQ nor had terrible driver flex when you push them inside your ears. But they sound extremely good and immersive for the price.

More expensive IEMs like the FH9s, and particularly the MP145s, are so much better, that it is misleading to make people believe otherwise. If I thought that all IEMs sounded at best like the Zero:2s, I would have missed on incredible things.

I have big hopes on the Kefine Delcis, they should arrive from China one of these days. If they really resemble the MP145s at 1/4 of the cost, they would be very interesting:

1712043637470.png

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tried to give them to several people (I hate having things that get no use) and no one have wanted them after trying them.
I am happy to give away my pair as well. Maybe we should arrange a giveaway on behalf/for the benefit of ASR?

I have big hopes on the Kefine Delcis, they should arrive from China one of these days. If they really resemble the MP145s at 1/4 of the cost, they would be very interesting:
They graph nice indeed. I ordered a pair too - should be arriving sometime next week. They seem to be on the smaller side, at least in the photos, which also attracted me. Lets see.

Last edited:
OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try kids or teenagers, small women. Maybe their smaller ear canals fit. My wife owns 3 pairs of 7Hz Zero 1.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not necessary, the DAC section is also still open, although it is a solved problem, for very reasonable prices. For sure there will be many more IEMs coming out, maybe even at a faster pace, there will be new driver types and combinations, new shell designs, whatever. But besides overall treble smoothnes, which many of the cheaper IEMs are still missing, I can´t really see what there needs to be done. We have cheap, low distortion IEMs which follow more than 90% an accepted target. Is there anything essential still missing?
That is not the point - not even close. It might be true that headphone problem might also be a solved one. But what alumnicesar and you don't seem to understand is that this is a hobby - not everybody is in a rush to buy the cheapest, good sounding headphone and call its quits. It is like going to classic car forum and telling them why don't you all buy KIA EV9. Might be correct in some sense, but most certainly not wise.

Last edited:

mc.god

InfiniteJester

Try kids or teenagers, small women. Maybe their smaller ear canals fit. My wife owns 3 pairs of 7Hz Zero 1.

I tried to give them to a small woman. I don't have much relationship with kids and teenagers these days, and I'm afraid to approach them in the street and tell them that I have some very cool earphones in my van.

I'm jocking, of course.

But young people seem to be particularly into wireless stuff.

Top Bottom