• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well, are you looking for objective proof? I'm not posting junk pics...not here at least...

I'm not sure even that would help as we have no way of knowing those would indeed be your pictures. :D

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean any legitimate engineer. Somebody who designs things. EE, mechanical, software, chemical, civil, biological, etc.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
To me the difference between the Engineers is whether the degree qualification was obtained thru an University (public or private) belongings to the Ministry of Education or thru an one belonging to the Ministry of Industry.
Engineers coming out from the latter have a much easier way of integrating within the industry, environment they're used to frequent during the four or five university course years thanks to the several stages they take within the industries (including the audio ones) that patronize the university system.
That's as it works in the Old Europe at least.

This is a pretty old school definition that I don’t think applies anymore.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well, are you looking for objective proof? I'm not posting junk pics...not here at least...

Ok, go fetch your mobile and take a pic in front of the mirror so we can see how you look in shorts! :D

maxxevv

Major Contributor

It doesn't.

I design mechanisms, mechanical systems and interfaces for equipment for my clients. I came from the reverse direction.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Ok, go fetch your mobile and take a pic in front of the mirror so we can see how you look in shorts! :D

Yeah...i can't compete with that...!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is that related to creative accounting?

Not in my case. Designing financial derivative products... That was from another life.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a strength and conditioning coach, and as a singer.

The dearth of women participants at audio forums - as with other male-dominated hobbies - usually leads to a whole different set of dynamics as men awkwardly react to the rare presence of a woman in their midst and usually don't focus just on audio technology. And I never would have written a post like this had you not opened the door with the subject of "any other women on this forum?" I know that this is slightly off-topic, but related generally to the subject of "men, women, and the hobby of audio" - and the above quote triggered my memories of my wonderful years with a wife who was also a fitness trainer.

Although it was long before the internet and open audio forums, the only woman in my life who shared a bit of my audio hobby was Laura, my former wife. We were married in the early 1970's and lived in El Cerrito, CA. She was a student at U.C. Berkeley, working towards what ended up as a Ph.,D in Exercise Physiology. Laura went on to specialize in physical fitness training for seniors, although she also worked with some East Bay women who were Olympic athletes. She is now in her 60's, I am a 77 y/o expatriate living in Panama, and we haven't been in contact for years. Unlike me, she has no internet presence, and has moved back to the Denver region where she grew up, and has drifted into obscurity.

Neither of us could sing, but she was the only woman in my life who truly shared my interest in havung a good audio system for playing music. Other women friends along life's path, and a long-term partner in the early 2000's, shared a strong interest in listening to live and recorded music, but were not interested in audio systems per se. And of course, none of them were interested in reading audio magazines earlier, or participating at internet audio forums later.

Like Laura, I was also a student in the early and mid 1970's, first finishing up lower division work at local community colleges, and then earning a BS in Conservation of Natural Resources in 1976, also at U.C. Berkeley. We owned a house and I had a decent income while a student, by working a full time swing-shift job at Cutter Laboratories in Berkeley, and I also had GI bill benefits to pay tuition, which was only $711/yr at the time (vs. $13,500/yr currently).

Laura shared my love of music and enjoyed the fruits of my growing stereo hobby, starting with my Dual/Sony/Dynaco system with a pair of Quadraflex speakers - house brand of California's Pacific Stereo chain of stores. We quickly moved up to a pair of ESS Heil AMT pyramid speakers and later upgraded to a pair of ESS Heil AMT-Tower speakers, which she kept for many years after our separation and divorce. (The below is an internet photo, not my speakers.)
ESS Heil AMT Tower.jpg

She placed the Towers in the garage of her classic East Oakland Spanish-style house, a space that she used as a small gym for personal training and working out for several years.

Thanks, Ayane, for triggering some really good memories.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure what to say, really, but feel compelled.
At least ASR's response to the OP has had far less trogloditian responses than some other forums I've read!
Welcome, and thanks for raising a great question!

In thinking about it, I remembered that my HS GF ('70) became a recording engineer, and ended up teaching at Berklee and co-authoring a book on it...but, RIP now. Sure wish I'd had a chance to discuss some of this stuff with her!

And, yah, in my experience anyway, women have at least as much interest in music as most men do.
So the question is a really good one.

I was raised in an 'activists' household, so never really saw much difference in capability by race or sex, but remain astounded at how 'unbalanced' the distribution is in The Real world.

So in my experience the imbalance has mostly to do with cultural 'norms', expectations, childhood opportunities (screwdrivers in toolboxes indeed!) and of course educational 'welcomeness'.

Also reminded of the women ferry pilots in WWII, in both US and UK, who were mostly ignored and sometimes reviled, but who suffered losses sometimes nearly as high as combat pilots.
https://www.amazon.com/Those-Wonderful-Women-Flying-Machines/dp/0962765902

I've worked in two organizations that were primarily women-led, and saw almost no differences - even down to the 'bad management/self serving un-truths' to the 'senior management cadre' level...there were gud-uns and bad-uns, just like in most things social...and both were vulnerable to 'club-ism' and 'pulling up the ladder behind them' whenever a majority takes advantage of their positions.

What I can say, however, is that in the organizations I worked where a) diversity and b) attention to minority viewpoints were foundational concepts, the quality of the resulting output (software, in my case) was Always better - and by quite a bit.

Huh. And now, thinking back on it, also broke decades of industry 'expectations' by hiring the first women in previously male only roles...almost forgot about that. One was particularly comical - it involved field service personnel, and quickly 'learned' that most hard hat building site folks will pay more (mostly good) attention to a female factory FS reps than 'the guy's" got!!

So, I've always welcomed and encouraged diversity (excluding dogmatic extremes) - if only b/c it makes things more interesting...oh, and vive la différence !

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
What about the EE stuff? Did you get your EE degree?
I'm not an EE by profession, but electronics is a big hobby. I majored in computational mathematics and sociology; I am a math teacher by profession.

Last edited:

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
I'm not an EE, but electronics is a big hobby. I majored in computational mathematics and sociology; I am a math teacher by profession. I'm also a CSCS looking to be a personal trainer.

Cool. What grade level math ?

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Good luck finding an Engineer job in the industry if you're in Germany, France or in the UK, you've got your degree within the Ministry of Education university system and your competition is from candidates coming from the Ministry of Industry university system.

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
Cool. What grade level math ?
I teach calculus to high schoolers, mostly sophomores. I like my job; it's easier to relate to the students I teach because I'm less than a decade older than them, hahaha!

Top Bottom