• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Putting THD in the perspective

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
I have a NTi MM2215, 154db at 3%.

That microphone was made for measurement of high sound levels, that is why distortion is stated at such high level.

Last edited:

DS23MAN

IF UMIK-1 would have distortion around 1-3% how is it even possible that is measures 0.07% distortion as it's own distortion would be much higher?
Your graph went missing, but what I remember you lowered the spl to get below 90db at 15cm. Remember mic's start to distort heavy above a certain spl. The cheap electrets start to do that above 95db.

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Your graph went missing, but what I remember you lowered the spl to get below 90db at 15cm. Remember mic's start to distort heavy above a certain spl. The cheap electrets start to do that above 95db.

I tested at 85db at LP (4 meters from speaker), and that produces more than 90dB at 15cm.

I also tested with 85db, 90db and 95db at 15cm and got practicaly identical results except for distortion LF peaks caused by cabinet resonance which increased slightly. This proves that UMIK-1 gives consistent measurements.

It is actually microphone like yours, which was designed for high SPL measurements, that may be problematic at lower SPLs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
IF UMIK-1 would have distortion around 1-3% how is it even possible that is measures 0.07% distortion as it's own distortion would be much higher?

I would think that distortion measure is at or near its SPL limits, not in the normal use range.

1569146705940.png

https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief - Umik.pdf

Example:

1569147209045.png

https://www.invensense.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AN-1112-v1.1.pdf

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, first I guess distortion of the mic is higher at higher SPL.
That microphone was made for measurement of high sound levels, that is why distortion is stated at such high level.
It's rather that this is at high SPL that the distortion is really high.
So most manufacturer just provide the limit for SPL at which THD reaches 1%.
Just as Power amp have their power stated for 1% THD

You may want to read the DPA link I posted above.
Here it is again:
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university/the-basics-about-distortion-in-mics

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another interesting reading about attempts to measure IMD on microphones
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gea...41571-microphone-distortion-measurements.html

Note that they use 2 speakers with 2 DACs and 2 amps, to avoid the IMD to be produced by those.

I also found some measurements in Eartworks M50 review on Earthworks website (pdf)
https://earthworksaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/EarthworksM50Review_AXJuly2017.pdf

M50 THD.PNG

M50 DIstortion Spectrum.PNG

Best performance is THD around 0.17% or -55dB

(Note: I copied those graphs from the freely-available-for-download document.
So I guess that's allowed by copyrights. If not, this should be removed.
This is extracted from an AudioXpress review)

Last edited:
OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
Well, first I guess distortion of the mic is higher at higher SPL.

It's rather that this is at high SPL that the distortion is really high.
So most manufacturer just provide the limit for SPL at which THD reaches 1%.
Just as Power amp have their power stated for 1% THD

That mic is a metal membrane mic specifically made for measurements at high SPLs. Such deivec may have various issues when emasuring at home SPLs (80-90dB), not only with distortion but with linearity as well. They were made for 120-160dB range, and that is where they operate in optimal fashion.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That mic is a metal membrane mic specifically made for measurements at high SPLs. Such deivec may have various issues when emasuring at home SPLs (80-90dB), not only with distortion but with linearity as well. They were made for 120-160dB range, and that is where they operate in optimal fashion.
Hi
As I understand it, our fellow @SIY is the author of this review.
He may have more input...

DS23MAN

That's not correct, a high spl mic has a higher noise floor. The M2215 has 25db(A) and the M2230 16 db(A).

https://www.nti-audio.com/Portals/0/data/en/Measurement-Microphones-Specifications.pdf

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May also be a limitation of the loudspeaker used for the measurement.
Same "the chicken and the egg" story (or, as Floyd Toole says "Circle of confusion")

OP
Krunok

Krunok

Major Contributor
May also be a limitation of the loudspeaker used for the measurement.
Same "the chicken and the egg" story (or, as Floyd Toole says "Circle of confusion")

My point was that both, loudspeakers that can produce such high SPL and microphones that can measure it, were not designed for home use and would operate optimally when put to that task. Do you really think a loudspeaker that can produce 154dB is optimal for home listening? :D

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just a couple of observations:

It's not trivial to measure mic distortion at lower SPLs without having a very, very quiet chamber. Generally speaking, even mics rated for high SPL will have low distortion at low SPLs (less mechanical movement of the diaphragm, smaller relative motion of the diaphragm and backplate, lower voltage swing in the preamp), but the noise (ambient and mic self-noise) will complicate quantification.

By and large, I see lowest distortion with mics having metal diaphragms. One notable exception is the DPA 4099, which showed remarkably good distortion performance, but has a polar pattern and frequency response which makes it great for performance use, but lousy for measurement.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a couple of observations:

It's not trivial to measure mic distortion at lower SPLs without having a very, very quiet chamber. Generally speaking, even mics rated for high SPL will have low distortion at low SPLs (less mechanical movement of the diaphragm, smaller relative motion of the diaphragm and backplate, lower voltage swing in the preamp), but the noise (ambient and mic self-noise) will complicate quantification.

By and large, I see lowest distortion with mics having metal diaphragms. One notable exception is the DPA 4099, which showed remarkably good distortion performance, but has a polar pattern and frequency response which makes it great for performance use, but lousy for measurement.
The 4099 and 4060 are using similar diaphragm, as far as I know.
The later being an omni.

(The 4099 and 4088 (headset version) are fantastic microphones !)

DS23MAN

My point was that both, loudspeakers that can produce such high SPL and microphones that can measure it, were not designed for home use and would operate optimally when put to that task. Do you really think a loudspeaker that can produce 154dB is optimal for home listening? :D
If a speaker is producing 110db at 1m and you put a mic at 25cm, what will the pressure be at the capsule?

Top Bottom