• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which ASR member would you most want to meet in person, and why? (fun Christmas thread...hopefully...)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A long time ago, of a Hi-Fi forum far far away a group of us used to regularly meet up in London, we would go record shopping, followed by a pub, and then back to the chosen victims house to take the piss out of their system and record collection, over beers and pizza. Even if their system was much better than your's taking the piss is mandatory. It's great fun, as you would expect when people who share a hobby get together socially, I highly recommend it.

On this forum I only know I have met @Frank Dernie, at an Oxford Audio event, we has a brief discussion about whether Max Verstappen had been promoted too soon, unsurprisingly Frank has been proved right, me not so much.

I think @Thomas savage would be interesting to meet, usually online you get a feel for what someone is like in person, your view isn't usually wrong but it's always an incomplete picture, but with Thomas I don't have a clear picture, possibly because he posts in 2 versions, himself and moderator version, or maybe he is more interesting than most people, who knows, I just think it would be interesting.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My choice would be @amirm to thank him for this wonderful site or @solderdude to pick his brains on his multiple endeavors. I was at the Florida Audio Expo this year and plan to drive up from Cape Coral again next year. Would love to meet other ASR members there. I’ll be the one that does look like my avatar (though my hair is always in a ponytail).

Martin

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I guess it would be cheating to say Scott Wurcer and Jan Didden, since we've all spent a lot of time together. And Jan is coming to stay with us for several months.

I *almost* took a job up in the Seattle area, and if I had, @j_j and I had made plans to meet up. I'm still going to make that happen at some point.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
A long time ago, of a Hi-Fi forum far far away a group of us used to regularly meet up in London, we would go record shopping, followed by a pub, and then back to the chosen victims house to take the piss out of their system and record collection, over beers and pizza. Even if their system was much better than your's taking the piss is mandatory. It's great fun, as you would expect when people who share a hobby get together socially, I highly recommend it.

On this forum I only know I have met @Frank Dernie, at an Oxford Audio event, we has a brief discussion about whether Max Verstappen had been promoted too soon, unsurprisingly Frank has been proved right, me not so much.

I think @Thomas savage would be interesting to meet, usually online you get a feel for what someone is like in person, your view isn't usually wrong but it's always an incomplete picture, but with Thomas I don't have a clear picture, possibly because he posts in 2 versions, himself and moderator version, or maybe he is more interesting than most people, who knows, I just think it would be interesting.
I can be interesting, depends on how drunk you are ..

Iv always been up for a ASR UK or European get-together. @watchnerd has threatened a pub crawl in Dublin next year , easy to fly to maybe that could actually happen and a few of us could go. Maybe @Ciunas Audio1 could come and we could all end the night drunk soldering together.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've met a couple of people on here at the old Scalford shows and followed their antics on the associated forum - @sergeauckland and @Frank Dernie - Serge, aided and abetted by Frank were always the voice of engineering reason and Serge used to take quite a lot of flak from the subjectivists but never gave in - I admired his resilience.

I'd love to have a beer with @Thomas savage - he seems to know his beers and I was touched by his backstory - and anyway it's always good to keep in with the Mods. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I want to hang out with @restorer-john and his dad for a few days to go pickin thru all their vintage gear. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And @Sal1950, at a local audio club meeting, and again at the Expo last February. Sal even came by the house so I could embarrass myself some more.
Had a lot of fun and Ray's system was extremely impressive.
Looking forward to seeing you at this years Tampa show.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know but I surely don't want to meet the guy from totaldac who subscribed here.

ajawamnet

Reactions: j_j
Top Bottom