• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Your original query seemed to ask if it made logical sense to buy the the L30 if you already have the DX3 Pro.
The answer is a definite no. Regardless of whether or not other people decided to spend money on that. There would likely be no audible difference.

Save your money towards your next headphone upgrade.
Unless of course he is already planning such a purchase or already has such a headphone (Arya/HE-6/Susvara etc ... who knows :p) in which case a stronger amp starts to make sense. I'd recommend the A90 over the L30 in that case, though.

tades

Unless of course he is already planning such a purchase or already has such a headphone (Arya/HE-6/Susvara etc ... who knows :p) in which case a stronger amp starts to make sense. I'd recommend the A90 over the L30 in that case, though.

I guess I have somewhere my reply in terms of sound quality : Topping rather than SMSL THX....

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Skip back to his original post. He listed the specific headphones he wanted to use with it and gave no indication that he was future proofing in some way.

But if we're always going to make recommendations based on speculation that someone might upgrade to a very difficult to drive headphone, even when they've given no indication of it, then no one should buy the L30. Time to shut this thread down! lol

Veri

Master Contributor
Skip back to his original post. He listed the specific headphones he wanted to use with it and gave no indication that he was future proofing in some way.
Ah. Missed the original (russian) post. For the headphones he has he doesn't need a strong amplifier, no. Agree with you there.. :D

Rainwrath

Hi guys, i'm new here. Were looking for my first enrty in to world of good audio, and was looking to buy my first amp+dac stack. After some researching, i found out about E30+L30 combo, and how good it is, i've order it from shenzhen audio and currently avaiting it being shipped.
Thing is, since i was reading this topic, i've found out that @JohnYang1997 said, that he will release a new version of E30 with 3V output, that can drive more power to L30. As i'm kinda new in this, to me it sound as if i'm waiting for an inferior product before better version will be released.
I have only efficient (32 ohms) headphones in my setup rn, so i wanted to know, should i cancel my order and wait for a 3V E30 version?
Thanks

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi guys, i'm new here. Were looking for my first enrty in to world of good audio, and was looking to buy my first amp+dac stack. After some researching, i found out about E30+L30 combo, and how good it is, i've order it from shenzhen audio and currently avaiting it being shipped.
Thing is, since i was reading this topic, i've found out that @JohnYang1997 said, that he will release a new version of E30 with 3V output, that can drive more power to L30. As i'm kinda new in this, to me it sound as if i'm waiting for an inferior product before better version will be released.
I have only efficient (32 ohms) headphones in my setup rn, so i wanted to know, should i cancel my order and wait for a 3V E30 version?
Thanks
Hi welcome. You'll be just fine with the current e30/l30 combo. There's loads of power available for your headphones. I'll be surprised if you ever need to use anything above low gain.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks
If you'd use 3V DAC you will have less play for your sensitive 32ohm headphones so no you're definitely missing out. The regular E30/L30 is perfect for all but the most needy, inefficient headphones..

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What's with the search for MOAR POWER?? I'm sure most folks will have no problems with the E30/L30 stack powering their cans.
I mean, how many Abyss or HE6 headphone owners are out there anyway? My guess is anyone that is buying a stack like this is running something mid priced, like the HD650 or 6XX, which this amp is perfect for.

Last edited:

hutt132

Got my L30 today. The volume knob has some play in it that makes it feel wiggly, and my finger constantly hits the headphone plug when adjusting the volume.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Latest update. E30 and L30 will not be changed. We will just contact all the sellers to change specifications. The output power with 2V is just what it is. Take it or leave it. What's so important about it. L30 doesn't need the power to take the crown. There are many more details for better experience. It's perfect as it is.

Veri

Master Contributor
Latest update. E30 and L30 will not be changed. We will just contact all the sellers to change specifications. The output power with 2V is just what it is. Take it or leave it. What's so important about it. L30 doesn't need the power to take the crown. There are many more details for better experience. It's perfect as it is.
Just leave the changes to upcoming A30 Pro ;)

good decision.

NM156

Even if crosstalk was -90dB... that would still mean that when you play music very loud on one channel you would still hear absolutely nothing on the not driven channel.
No, this is incorrect. It depends on SPL and frequency. For example, if your loud signal is 1.5 kHz at 110 db SPL, the crosstalk signal is at 20 db SPL which (by definition of SPL) is audible.
It is moot whether it is -90 or -110dB both are inaudible low levels.
If that is true, THD+N of -90dB relative to the original signal is inaudible, too. So no need to measure THD+N any longer?
Stereo separation between L-R recordings also will never reach these levels anyway.
Due to AD conversion of analog tape, THD+N will almost never be better than -90 dB, too. Even with some of the first stereo Beatles albums. So no need to measure THD+N any longer?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No, this is incorrect. It depends on SPL and frequency. For example, if your loud signal is 1.5 kHz at 110 db SPL, the crosstalk signal is at 20 db SPL which (by definition of SPL) is audible.

If that is true, THD+N of -90dB relative to the original signal is inaudible, too. So no need to measure THD+N any longer?

Due to AD conversion of analog tape, THD+N will almost never be better than -90 dB, too. Even with some of the first stereo Beatles albums. So no need to measure THD+N any longer?
THD is probably not important under 0.03%. Noise of the output stage does not decrease when you turn the volume down. Which makes THD+N still somewhat relevant. SNR at 50mV is much more important.
So for audibility, yeah those are not very important.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Apologies for opening this can of worms. Somthing about those caps looks off to me.
1598273806590804054283445715592.jpg

Chocomel

Still useful to measure to check performance. And yes you definitely not gonna hear -90dB THD+N.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

No this is incorrect. When 1.5kHz is reproduced at 110dB you will be throwing off the headphones within one second. There is no way you can actually hear 20dBSPL signal at all in the not driven channel when it has the same frequency. Do not mix up absolute dynamic hearing range with practical hearing range as well.

No this is incorrect. It is always useful to quantify distortion. Masking also is an aspect here as we are talking about harmonics and not channel sepation.

I do not get this reasoning at all. What does S/N ratio and frequency and amplitude (saturation) dependent AD conversion to do with it.
It's like saying, well I will rip a vinyl record and thus there is no need to measure THD and Noise any longer.

Top Bottom