• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

✳ This is it ... the scientific topic we always wanted to discuss ...

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Ray said:
No, but I have been wearing one when I get there.

Excellent, you are in touch with time traveling guidelines for the year 2020, 2021 and 2022 (for now).

Taddpole

I have to ask: How many of you posting here in this thread honestly read the short article from the first original post?
_____

"Einstein's theory of general relativity predicts the existence of time loops or time travel – where an event can be both in the past and future of itself – theoretically turning the study of dynamics on its head."

What the calculations show is that space-time can potentially adapt itself to avoid paradoxes."

I already read it next week.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time travel might be mathematically possible in the sense that Einstein perhaps imagined it: ripples in space time so extreme they fold on each other and where they touch you can hop from one ripple to another. But in a practical sense it's an impossibility in multiple ways. There are no dimensional "coordinates" to "go" to: no element of mass is ever in the same place twice and there are no references. The surface of the Earth is spinning (1,000 miles/hr.); Earth is orbiting the sun; the sun is orbiting the center of our galaxy; our galaxy is moving (1.3 million miles/hr.), and everything is expanding - but differently depending on the vantage point elsewhere in the universe. And who knows if Newtonian momentum is conserved through a time hop? So if I "hop" to "here" in 1 second, "here" has moved, not only over 1,000 feet relative a second ago along a curve (the surface of the Earth), it's moved relative in all the other known and unknown dimensions - and so have all the other molecules. So, just looking at our galaxy moving 1.9 million feet in one second, I might end up 359 miles out in empty space - or inside a tree.

Or maybe Albert was right after all! o_O

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here @ ASR we don't talk politics. That way we can advance much further in life in our own better direction. And if we start talking politics this thread will evaporate and be no more for eternity. Now, you wouldn't like to see that happening ... :)
Mentioning the pandemic IS talking politics, don't you think so? :eek:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Mathematics has this odd feature that being able to formulate something mathematically often precedes (or should I say "is required for") the related technology. But that doesn't necessarily mean valid mathematics guarantee workable technology.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
No more than mentioning "the sky is blue".
There's so much 20/20 hindsight doing the rounds about "what should have been done about the pandemic", that mentioning going back to stop it from happening has decidedly political overtones in my neck of the woods.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Alright, time to hit the next dimension ...
https://phys.org/news/2020-05-future-totally.html

Ok, everyone got that so far? We're all on the same page?
Speed of light is our gateway to time travel, period.
I just gave you 15 minutes to be on time; 11 minutes for the video + 4 minutes for the short text reading...plenty of time...couple minutes extra.

Next, a short video ...

weasels

I think the idea that the uni-directional chain of cause and effect is a bypr
There's so much 20/20 hindsight doing the rounds about "what should have been done about the pandemic", that mentioning going back to stop it from happening has decidedly political overtones in my neck of the woods.

That is truly unfortunate, but likely not unique to your neck of the woods.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor

That's not the subject of my thread; that was simply an example as a benefit of time travel, that's all. ...For the good of humanity.
Forget the pandemic, forget the economy, most importantly forget the politics.
* If you mention one more time about political relation or overtone I'm going to ask Thomas to lock that thread forever, for eternity. I'm serious.
Talk science of time travel or go home. Don't screw up in my thread man.

This is science of space travel here, strictly science.

Next ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Speed of light...

If you drop a rock off the roof, it accellerates downward at an ever increasing rate, 32 feet per second added to the previous 32 feet per second and so on, ignoring air resistance.

If you could accellerate yourself at the same rate with no obstacles blocking your path - it would take nearly a year (ignoring relativistic effects) to reach lightspeed.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
That's right Ray (of light); we are times away of reaching the speed of light.

* Did you check the two short videos above by Doctor/Professor Who (Brian Cox)?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Did you check the two short videos above by Doctor/Professor Who (Brian Cox)?

Not just now, but physics and cosmology are my favorite "go to sleep" TV topics.

Check out Sean Carroll's channel on youTube.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Speed of light...

If you drop a rock off the roof, it accellerates downward at an ever increasing rate, 32 feet per second added to the previous 32 feet per second and so on, ignoring air resistance.

If you could accellerate yourself at the same rate with no obstacles blocking your path - it would take nearly a year (ignoring relativistic effects) to reach lightspeed.
And then you’d need to slow down :)

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Pah! lights impossibly slow. At the least one needs to travel at relative kilolights to get anywhere.
Roll out the wormholes. Peter Hamilton’s take on them is great fun — going through them using a railway.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Isn’t that’s the one that opens with the first manned mission to Mars being gatecrashed by two nerds from California using a wormhole?

Top Bottom