• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are we heading for a time when all CDs will be MQA coded - no redbook available?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the fuss about? CD's are being replaced by streaming and digital downloads.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it plays in any old CD player, it cannot be a lossy data format, because CD players cannot decode that. So you have the normal Redbook stuff + added on MQA information that can be read by specialized players.

At least that's the only way I could see this work.
You could take a 128 kbps MP3 and convert it to 1411 kbps WAV and burn it onto a CD. Any old CD player will be able to play it, but it does not mean that it's lossless.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the fuss about? CD's are being replaced by streaming and digital downloads.

But is the download even CD res or is it MQA ? I liked the music going for the Bandcamp download, but what is it ?
Can we even buy good old CD res anymore? For some artists?

mSpot

Physical redbook CDs encoded in MQA are rare. I've only heard about them being released in Japan.

For online streaming, some labels (notably Warner) are replacing 16/44.1 files on Tidal with MQA versions. The original 16/44.1 non-MQA version is no longer available for streaming.

escape2

But is the download even CD res or is it MQA ? I liked the music going for the Bandcamp download, but what is it ?
Good question. When you download this Dominique Fils-Aime album from bandcamp in FLAC format, what do you get: 16-bits of redbook audio, or 13 bits of audio + 3 bits of MQA junk?

bigguyca

“Yes” but the bottom bits are mangled and contains the MQA information so mansr is rigth .

The top 13 bits are normal and the rest will plays as low level noise on a normal CD player , similar to HDCD when you don’t have a HDCD capable machine.

In CD's is MQA like dither on steroids? Funny, but the original AES presentation on MQA didn't mention this revenue stream.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If 3 bits are lost and turn to noise on a redbook/MQA recording, what happens with 24-bit recordings?

fun

Around the time when home movies goes from VHS to DVD to BluRay to 4K BluRay (together with audio that is higher resolution and more channels), home audios goes from cassette tapes to 16-bit CDs to multi-channel SACD/DVD-Audio to highly compressed MP3 and now 13-bit CDs :)

levimax

Major Contributor
CDs...vinyl...wax cylinders...

Streaming is all the rage right now and most likely will be the way for many people to listen to music but it's future with schemes like MQA, Jack Dorsey purchasing of Tidal, and the fact that all streaming companies are losing money means that as time goes on it is going to become much less of a bargain than it is right now. I agree with @sergeauckland, buy used CD's now at bargain prices before it's too late. Rather than streaming I think NFT could be the future for "serious" music lovers https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/kings-of-leon-when-you-see-yourself-album-nft-crypto-1135192/

GDK

Forum Donor
We won’t be able to buy new CDs at all soon enough. A friend of mine owns a CD store and he says that many new releases are digital only and they are deleting back catalog titles by the thousands.

Zensō

Major Contributor
My take is that streaming is here to stay and will end up being dominated by the big three tech companies, Apple, Google, and Amazon. I think a good analogy is to look at what happened in mapping/cartography, where the big three sucked all of the oxygen (and profits) out of the industry due to treating maps as a value-added service to support their primary businesses. The same may happen to music, where it's primarily distributed as part of a larger "package" to encourage ecosystem lock-in. Take a look at what Apple just started doing with their "Apple One" bundled subscription service that includes Apple Music...

BinkieHuckerback

What, though, could supersede streaming? 'CD and MQA', on the face of it, appear irrelevant...

Top Bottom