• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zip ties on the Chinese Mars rover?

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I reckon they get to launch day and an engineer notices: "what about that cable loom? It's gonna snag on the camera boom and the solar panels. We need to delay the mission for the next launch window in 3 years at a cost of billions and total embarassment".

Commander: "F#$k it. Get me some cable ties and the cable tie gun, pronto! And, bring me some Duck(t) tape just in case, you clowns!"

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw the news picture of the Zhurong Chinese Mars rover with it's solar panels swung out.

Pretty messy build quality of you ask me, especially with @amirm 's favourite self adhesive zip tie mounts and blue zip ties! ;)

As used in the Mars rover!
View attachment 130759

Sometimes, even WETA rushes props to the scheduled shoot with exposed gubbins. The CCP production house is accustomed to a viewing public that *wants* to believe Kung Fu masters can fly - nobody pays a wiring harness or stray hoist cable any mind.

eriksson

Forum Donor
This is complex stuff and there are a lot of moving and electronic parts that will fail long before any of them zip ties...
I have considerable experience around construction and earth-moving equipment and the Chinese are not alone in considering them good engineering. Not pretty perhaps....

It's likely they have already done the job during the approach and landing of the rover. I doubt the Chinese will do much racing on Mars, and given the thin atmosphere even "strong" winds won't be a problem.

3125b

Major Contributor
I'm not surprised they used cable ties, just that they use plastic ones instead of stainless steel wich are stronger and fare much better with high temperatures and UV exposure ...

tgray

Can't speak for the Chinese space program specifically, but it's not as if people are just grabbing random zip ties and slapping them on Mars rovers. This stuff is extensively tested and qualified for the expected environments (or should be in a properly run program) with known failure modes/rates, etc. Hence the comment above about tossing things that didn't meet stitches per inch or other requirements. Those components were qualified with all those requirements being met. Sure, maybe it doesn't matter if the shelf life has passed, or there are a few less stitches, but you don't have the data to back that up, so you replace it with material that meets the requirements.

If the Mars 2020 rover is using ABB Ty-Raps, they have been qualified for the environment they are being used in, UV and all.

MRC01

Major Contributor
My first thought: how quickly will cable ties crack or dissolve under the extreme cold, heat and UV radiation?
Then @Wortifer gives the answer: very slowly.
I want some of those cable ties! They probably cost a zillion dollars each.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
For those interested, here is the next-gen rover. Currently at our Kennedy Space center. Zip-ties are all nicely hidden...

IMG_0569.jpg

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice coil-over shocks! Looks just like what I put on my old '97 Mustang Cobra. Glad to see NASA is being cost efficient. :)
Not really -- all of the electronics are protected with Synergistic Research fuses...

Katji

Major Contributor
Sometimes, even WETA rushes props to the scheduled shoot with exposed gubbins. The CCP production house is accustomed to a viewing public that *wants* to believe Kung Fu masters can fly - nobody pays a wiring harness or stray hoist cable any mind.
Highly unlikely that viewing public is as indoctrinated as Americans.

escksu

Not so hard to understand. Through state-sponsored hacking they have had access to proprietary space program technology data from the US and other nations.

USA is the real hacker... Remember snowden case?? USA even spies on its own citizens...

escksu

My question is: What's wrecking the aluminum wheels on the rover? Are they that thin?

The environment on mars is very harsh... Hard rock and sand everywhere. Coupled with freezing temps that makes metal hard and brittle.

escksu

Saw the news picture of the Zhurong Chinese Mars rover with it's solar panels swung out.

Pretty messy build quality of you ask me, especially with @amirm 's favourite self adhesive zip tie mounts and blue zip ties! ;)

And what's with the joystick with RGBY markings? Who operates that to open and close the panels? Matt Damon (The Martian)!

And when the panels are closed the joystick is hidden. Bad design language there.
View attachment 130755

Zoomed in:
View attachment 130757

As used in the Mars rover!
View attachment 130759

You should at least learn to google before you post.

Top Bottom